Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Concerning Amphibian Men  (Read 1831 times)

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Concerning Amphibian Men
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:17:57 am »

My current fort has a local amphibian man population. I don't want to slaughter them nor tame them (for now). Unfortunately they're hostile. :-\

I was hoping I could just catch them with a few well placed cage traps, strip them of weapons, and releasing them into a sectioned off area. I've hit an unexpected snag though - My cage traps don't seem to work on them. I can't seem to figure it out. They shouldn't have [TRAPAVOID] and I even checked my raws just to make sure that in my set they lack that talent - and they did. Regardless of that, when I lured one of their kind down a hall of cage traps (ones I'd made use of on other members of the underground) he walked right by. Not only that but he walked BACK past all of the traps. I could just see the smug look one his face.>:(

Anyone know a reason why they could walk past my traps untouched? Any alternate solutions to take care of them?

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning Amphibian Men
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:27:38 am »

Slaughter those little smug n00bs

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:44:41 am »

suggest letting them breed on their own, then kill the adults. All new children are born friendly, last I saw. At least, tha is true in my current fort with Cave Swallow Men. The 8 or so original adults all have spears and blowguns with Hostile next to them, but the kids (some of which have grown up) are friendly.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 01:45:19 am »

i have no idea why cage traps aren't working.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:53:42 am »

are the cave traps loaded?

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 01:57:07 am »

suggest letting them breed on their own, then kill the adults. All new children are born friendly, last I saw. At least, tha is true in my current fort with Cave Swallow Men. The 8 or so original adults all have spears and blowguns with Hostile next to them, but the kids (some of which have grown up) are friendly.
Sounds like a good idea. Too bad runesmith only doesn't work with the current version or I'd just change the current generation to friendly.

i have no idea why cage traps aren't working.
Neither did I. I figured someone here would know if there was a bug/feature/whatever causing it. If not I'll add it to the bugtracker.

are the cave traps loaded?

Yep

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 04:15:52 am »

Just out of curiousity - why not slaughter them? I would only refrain from doing so if I had an elf-themed fortress.

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:42:00 am »

Artz, you took the words right out of my mouth.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:08 am »

Does it really matter if your military kills them in the caverns instead of the arena?

Kyphie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:48:09 am »

I'm actually fond of all the ___men variates. Does anyone know offhand what I should tweak to make them more prevalent?

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:50:43 am »

I'm actually fond of all the ___men variates.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:42 am »

I'm actually fond of all the ___men variates. Does anyone know offhand what I should tweak to make them more prevalent?

The entity file for these guys has these tags:
   [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100] all irrelevant right now
   [MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000]
   [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:120]

which, as per the comment, don't appear to do anything.

Your best bet is to alter

[POPULATION_NUMBER:30:50]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10]

In the creature entries of all of the _men. I got these particular tags from olm men. For reference, population_number changes how many pass through your map per year (which I suspect does not apply to civilized _men), and cluster number tells the game how many creatures there are per "unit". For example, a creature with the default value of 1 would only spawn alone, but a creature with the cluster_number tag above would spawn in groups of 5-10.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Fwoosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:50:28 am »

Maybe the cage traps don't catch them because they are locals? I know it works that way with mega and semi megabeasts. If they lived on the site before you got there then you can't catch them with regular traps.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 10:22:42 am »

Maybe they just aren't walking over the traps?

That would logically keep them from being caught.

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 01:08:48 pm »

Just out of curiousity - why not slaughter them? I would only refrain from doing so if I had an elf-themed fortress.

Cause it's kind of cool to have them around. They're sorta like a novelty.

Maybe the cage traps don't catch them because they are locals? I know it works that way with mega and semi megabeasts. If they lived on the site before you got there then you can't catch them with regular traps.

Well they were in the caverns when I got here.

Maybe they just aren't walking over the traps?

That would logically keep them from being caught.

I saw one walk through a 1 tile wide hall filled with cage traps (and back). They're walking over the traps.
Pages: [1] 2