Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the difference between Core and Total Quality?  (Read 1120 times)

aslum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What is the difference between Core and Total Quality?
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the difference? Is it like when an item is encrusted with gems? Or the bin the stuff is in? Can I have a crappy bin full of Masterwork mugs in a stockpile that only accepts Masterwork items?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: What is the difference between Core and Total Quality?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:06:08 am »

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what is the difference? Is it like when an item is encrusted with gems? Or the bin the stuff is in? Can I have a crappy bin full of Masterwork mugs in a stockpile that only accepts Masterwork items?

Total quality includes the quality of the decorations in addition to the base quality of the item.  I'm less sure about the bins that go into such stockpiles, but I *think* they're not affected.  I have so many bins that I've never really paid attention.  Then again, I don't think I've ever had an artifact bin and I *know* that some of my artifacts get shoved into bins in artifact-only piles.

The only things I use quality for are to put high quality furniture near the jeweler's shop so they can encrust it and to pull artifacts out of whatever stockpile they got shoved into and get them into my artifact vault(s).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the difference between Core and Total Quality?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:28:17 am »

pretty sure it has nothing to do with the bin.  I'm also pretty sure core quality is the quality ignoring decorations.  Logically the definition of total quality would be the highest quality from among the item itself and the decorations.  I've had some degree of success turning these on and off to ensure only the mastwork and exceptional stuff gets encrusted with diamonds or studded with electrum.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku