Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does .18 have more FPS issues?  (Read 4111 times)

Alogism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does .18 have more FPS issues?
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:38:01 pm »

See title. I just came back from taking a break from DF, I was using .16 since it's release. Download .18, Set it up, Start a fort and it dies. Fast. On Similar embarks in .16 I can sustain a fort ~10 years above 60 FPS easily. Now However in .18 my forts crash, burn, and FPS die before year 4. My latest made it to year 5 before I was forced to close it because of having 0-1 FPS. The only thing I've been doing different is totally ignoring ghosts. To enforce De-Facto population caps I'm in the habit of locking migrants outside until they die, And ghosts were a rampant issue in this fort. Towards the end suspecting an issue I started memorializing them, However to no avail. I'm also noticing random 'lag spikes'. In older versions FPS was almost always steady, However now my FPS will randomly drop to 20 or so for 5-10 minutes for no reason, Then go back to normal. Any ideas or explanations?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:41:11 pm by Alogism »

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: Does .18 have more FPS issues?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »

This has been discussed extensively, and as far as I can tell, it varies from computer to computer.  I personally have a general decrease in FPS from .28, but others haven't!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Alogism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:23 pm »

This has been discussed extensively, and as far as I can tell, it varies from computer to computer.  I personally have a general decrease in FPS from .28, but others haven't!

Apologies if this is a known issue, I haven't been checking the forums at all

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:09:38 pm »

The only thing I've been doing different is totally ignoring ghosts.

Ghosts are a major FPS drain. Be sure to bury all dwarfs or make a memorial slab so you don't get ghosts.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:09 am »

So to enforce players to treat their migrants as actual beings Toady brings in ghosts, and in order to discourage players from letting ghosts hang around, he makes them lag the game?
That's cruel.
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:47:50 am »

31.12 is the earliest version I've played, and I have noticed that 31.18 seems to run significantly faster than it for a fortress of a comparable level of development.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:00:51 am »

So to enforce players to treat their migrants as actual beings Toady brings in ghosts, and in order to discourage players from letting ghosts hang around, he makes them lag the game?
That's cruel.

I can see it know, Toady sitting in his Washington abode with his cat on his lap, stroking it menacingly as an organ plays in the background with just enough breaks to allow the thunder to rain down. Toady is typing way at his computer, laughing mechanically "Mwhahahahah, I shall teach those damn dirty players for disallowing immigrants from their fortress, and I shall make GHOSTS! Mwahahahaha! I shall, in grand scheme make them lag them game as a punishment to /ALL/ PLAYER KIND!" *THUNDER*

Or, he was trying to bring something back that in the 2d version in some version, as he was working on related elements for Adventure mode. The lag is an expected and hopefully soonishly to be smoothed out feature during the bug push.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:19:03 am »

I think that the main reason they cause so much lag is because they path through walls of any thickness, and possibly up and down z-levels through rock, so it is like you have a bunch of flying creatures with 100+ z-levels of open space to create pathing options for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 06:56:56 am »

That would make sense, only, the lag caused by ghosts seems rather random, even amongst the same type of ghost.
I've had a few ghosts who did not harm my FPS more than any pet or dwarf added to the population would.
I've also had a single ghost once who dragged my FPS down with periodical spikes of minus 40 FPS.

Perhaps, it has to do with where the ghost died, and where it is allowed to roam once risen
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 07:04:30 am »

I think that the main reason they cause so much lag is because they path through walls of any thickness, and possibly up and down z-levels through rock, so it is like you have a bunch of flying creatures with 100+ z-levels of open space to create pathing options for.

I posted it today on mantis :D.

Probably it is only sometimes because ghosts are not pathfinding constantly.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 07:05:26 am »

My fps barely drops -.-
Desu

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:42:50 am »

It might be somewhat useful if one posts their PCs makeup and OS along with these mutterings of "My FPS is great!" and "My FPS is terrible!" :P

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 10:17:51 am »

It might be somewhat useful if one posts their PCs makeup and OS along with these mutterings of "My FPS is great!" and "My FPS is terrible!" :P

I agree.

As I've said in another thread, my 3.2GHz Pentium-D with ~4GB of RAM running Win7 runs at about 45FPS with 20-80 dwarfs after 10 years, and approaches 20FPS (or less) with 20-80 dwarfs after 20 years.  On .18.   Number of dwarfs has little to no impact on my FPS, except pathing drops when I send all of them into some small area to do a massive job (say, dumping all stone in the 1-tile wide catacombs).  For reference I can get upwards of 400FPS on embark.

I've also seen the massive occasional lag spikes, say 15-20FPS, but not on .18....  I think the last time I saw that was .12....  (Not including seasonal ice melt/freeze.)  But I didn't play much for four months or so.

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 09:00:05 am »

We had a discussion on this in a wiki entry and the conclusion was there are too many other significant factors for posting system specs to be useful. "Loose" items, animals present, fort layout, whether or not manual pathing is set up & what the values are, whether weather/temp is turned on, and many other factors.

We'd need a reference savegame for people to download and run for a few minutes on vanilla. Until then, we have to rely on folks' memory & honesty.

FWIW, I've noticed significant FPS improvement in .18 over .40d w/SDL -- except in my current fort for reasons I don't understand. I usually have 80 dwarves & 80-90 FPS with a lot of items & loose animals, but right at embark, my current fort (with no volcanoes, rivers, or anything weird) is pretty consistently <70 fps for reasons I don't understand.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:49:27 pm »

Its often the contaminants causing lag.  Build a dorf wash and use DFhack to clean the stuff up every now and then. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...
Pages: [1] 2