Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newbs first Weeks in DF  (Read 2452 times)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbs first Weeks in DF
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 05:29:37 am »

Ehm anyone else had issues with saving? The Autosaves at seasonchange work fine, but if i save on my own in the Menu and want to load it again later its not there. I Checked the Save Folder and only the Seasonal autosaves are there.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

lotopius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:17:39 am »

Did you by any chance "abandon fortress" instead of "save and quit"? Abandonning you fortres will destroy your save.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 10:52:33 am »

Nah, after checking all saves, it seems it saves under a radnom name, so i have to load all saves until i find the last one. A bit annoying to be honest.

Is there any way to check a Dwarfs stats and inventory? I Would like to look at the Weapons my Soldiers currently are carrying and if they really get better in Fighting skills. At the moment it just looks like they are standing around in the barracks.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 11:59:58 am »

(v)iew units, close to the dwarf to check.

In that menu you can look at :
(g)eneral infos (like skills)
(i)nventory
(p)references (like work animals and labors)
(w)ounds
(z) states (like his holdings and a lot of personal infos)

I couldn't play without using this. One of the basics IMO, just like the Set building tasks/prefs (q), View items in buildings (t) and Look around (k) menus.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

manicmoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:31 pm »

As far as I remember about the save system it doesn't pick a 'random name' but it saves over the last file that was loaded. So if you load a seasonal auto save and then save again itll be under the same name as that old auto save. It could be more intuitive though, took me some getting used to.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 02:17:38 pm »

K thx.

Currently under Siege by a Horde of Goblins, 18 Axegobbos i think. But the jsut stand around on a Cliff and do nothing. Well it wont bugger me if they starve or die out there on their own, but i waited ages for an attack and some fun. Problem is i cant go to them, my military is 9 Dwarfs strong, so i need help from the Traps at the entrance to defeat them.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 07:39:27 pm »

With 4-5 properly trained soldiers (legendary fighter and shield user) using steel of bronze equipment, I've never had any problem dispatching goblins, even in large numbers. The worse that could happen is getting eshausted from fighting too long. I guess.

Of course, with less training comes many injuries leading to shameful deaths.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »

Currently under Siege by a Horde of Goblins, 18 Axegobbos i think. But the jsut stand around on a Cliff and do nothing.
Sounds like they can't find a walkable route to your fortress and dwarves. Likely cause is a drawbridge raised that cuts off the route.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 01:03:23 am »

Nope, the Bridge is not raised and i tested the Path with building a Wall near them (to lure a Dwarf there). One Gblin followed him to my entrance with no problems. Well if they wont attack me soon i will have 20 Guys in my Military, should suffice even if they arent legendary.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 03:29:54 am »

Perhaps they are afraid?  Lure them with a kitten.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 08:28:58 am »

Ok 2 Seasons now, and they are still standing there. Im temted to kill them by provoking a Cave in under their feet, sadly i dont know a way to do this without killing one of my miners. Usually it suffices to just channel a few levels under the floor you want to collapse right? Otherwise i swear im gonna build a few Ballista far enough away to dont get them coming, and shoot at them (their standing in a few rows of 3 or 4 Goblins, i think a Ballista or two would be a Overkill), cowards  >:(
Pages: 1 [2]