Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbs first Weeks in DF  (Read 2454 times)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbs first Weeks in DF
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:00:03 pm »

Heyho everybody, i have a few Problems that i cant seem to figure out and a few questions, i would be very happy if some of the Experienced ppl here would help me.

First of all, i did Tiny Pirates Guide for utter Newbs. Because of the fact that he used a earlier version of the Game i lack some info what actually all is different and what bugs can occur. Because i played with the newest version after completing the Guide its possible that some of the issues may result out of the difference between the Versions, would be nice if you could mention that. And the last thing: my english isnt perfect, so if you dont understand anything pls say it so i can correct it.

I had 3 Fortresses until now, all rather over a pretty long time period. One got f**** by a massive Horde of Goblins, the second one was built on an Aquifier and after hours of fun, all my Dwarfs had drowned. That may reflect bad on me as a person but i found both incident HILARIOUS, especially the drowning thing caused some serious laughin on my side (not on the dwarf side sadly). My 3 Fortress was just started, and until now its all fine except that the Carpenter doesnt work (wrote that in the "Carpenters lazy?" thread so no need to voer that here) and i realised just now that i allready emptied the only Lake of the whole map for my farm, so all my Dwarfs that get wounded are DOOMED. But now on with the questions:

First, how do i Dump things in a pit? Or even mark the pit as a pit to dump things in? I tried the i function but when i mark the Pit and define it as such the Dwarfs dont dump anything in it. I had a lot of Goblins in some Cages and wanted to.... you know show them the beautiful Walls of my Doompit. THe pit was made simply by Channeling the Ground on different Levels until it was like 5 Levels deep.

Related to the Goblins, Tinypirate mentioned you could let Dwarfs use the Goblins to do "sparring". Could anyone explain to me if and how that works?

I wanted to catch and tame Animals that where on the map with me. But just putting some Animal Traps outside does nothing, is there a way to lure them in? Or Catch them with a different Method?

Since i play with the newest Version, my Miners seem to work slower, or its better to say the Game runs slower, Dwarfs dont run as fast as the version in TPs Guide and it takes Hours to dig out some Space, did it get slowed down on purpose or is that a bug/issue im having?

To get over the water issue in my curretn fortress, i blocked the Tunnel i used to flood the Ground for the farm with a floodgate. If it starts raining, will the Lake fill with Water again? If not is it possible to find Caves and such underground with Water? And just to feed my curiosity, i read somewhere that with the new version, you will find magma and Caves (With beasts and stuff!) in EVERY Map you start, true?

And last: My first Fortress got one ambush by goblins, and then i never saw any attack again. And i played for quite a few ingame years. Is it random or is it possible that some Fortresses dont get attacked at all or only a few times with not many attackers?

Thanks for all answers!
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbs first Weeks in DF
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:29:44 pm »

That may reflect bad on me as a person but i found both incident HILARIOUS, especially the drowning thing caused some serious laughin on my side (not on the dwarf side sadly).

No, this is quite normal, and indeed expected.  Fortress destruction is one of the best kinds of Fun!

My 3 Fortress was just started, and until now its all fine except that the Carpenter doesnt work (wrote that in the "Carpenters lazy?" thread so no need to voer that here) and i realised just now that i allready emptied the only Lake of the whole map for my farm, so all my Dwarfs that get wounded are DOOMED.

Don't worry, just dig on down to the caverns, as they usually have water in infinite supply!

First, how do i Dump things in a pit? Or even mark the pit as a pit to dump things in? I tried the i function but when i mark the Pit and define it as such the Dwarfs dont dump anything in it. I had a lot of Goblins in some Cages and wanted to.... you know show them the beautiful Walls of my Doompit. THe pit was made simply by Channeling the Ground on different Levels until it was like 5 Levels deep.

Pits are used for dumping animals and caged creatures and are different from Garbage Dumps, which are used to get rid of dump-designated items.  Both are zones, and I think it's possible to enable both in the same zone.  What I do, and some consider cheating, is make a quantum dump, which is just a single square designated as a dump that, as long as it's not near an edge, has no space limit.  You can put thousands and thousands of stones there.

Related to the Goblins, Tinypirate mentioned you could let Dwarfs use the Goblins to do "sparring". Could anyone explain to me if and how that works?

Well, the safest thing to do here is disarm them first.  So you'll have your stockpile of cages with goblins inside.  In order to strip them of everything they have equipped, you'll hit [d], then [ b ]uilding properties (I think), then [d]ump.  This will designate everything, including the cage, do be dumped.  But immediately after you've designated them all like that, you want to do [d], [ b ], re[c]laim on all of the cages.  This will unforbid everything within the cages, and make it so that they're dump-able.  Then you hit [k] and manually remove the [d]ump designations on the cages.  (Note, this doesn't work when the cages have been placed/constructed somewhere.  They MUST be in a stockpile of some kind)  Then yer dwarves will collect all of their equipments and leave the naked goblins cowering in their cages.

Now for sparring.  Basically, you want to make some kind of arena so that the goblins can't escape.  Place a cage and put all the goblins in it (or all of the cages individually.  You can see the specific cages by pressing [z] (I think.  The text for the hotkey reads 'Expand List' or some such) when you're choosing cages to place.  Anyways, just station yer military, link the cage to a lever, pull the lever, and goblin blood will be spilled for Armok!

I wanted to catch and tame Animals that where on the map with me. But just putting some Animal Traps outside does nothing, is there a way to lure them in? Or Catch them with a different Method?

Animal traps, to my knowledge, are for small animals.  Large animals (which can be as small as a groundhog) and fish (like carp) are caught with cage traps.

Since i play with the newest Version, my Miners seem to work slower, or its better to say the Game runs slower, Dwarfs dont run as fast as the version in TPs Guide and it takes Hours to dig out some Space, did it get slowed down on purpose or is that a bug/issue im having?

Humm...  Turn on your FPS meter in the init document.  From what I've read, it varies from computer to computer what the new version has done.  I personally have experienced a significant drop in FPS, though I've read of others who have had a general increase.  In any case, look at the tips for maximising framerate from the wiki.

To get over the water issue in my curretn fortress, i blocked the Tunnel i used to flood the Ground for the farm with a floodgate. If it starts raining, will the Lake fill with Water again? If not is it possible to find Caves and such underground with Water? And just to feed my curiosity, i read somewhere that with the new version, you will find magma and Caves (With beasts and stuff!) in EVERY Map you start, true?

Yes, the lake, which is most like a Murky Pool, will fill, provided the environment isn't too hot.  And yes, as you saw above, there are caverns and magma.  It's possible to turn off caverns and magma, but by default they are on!  Good times!

And last: My first Fortress got one ambush by goblins, and then i never saw any attack again. And i played for quite a few ingame years. Is it random or is it possible that some Fortresses dont get attacked at all or only a few times with not many attackers?

Yeah, this too, is fairly random.  You'll get a siege eventually, or ambushes.  It varies from fort to fort.  Maybe the goblins are really far away or something...  (Not that that's a valid reason)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:33:43 pm by Savolainen5 »
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »

Thanks for the Answer!

What i meant with the pit, was that i wanted to drop the Goblins there so they would fall down a few levels and die at impact, so i could collect their stuff. But now that you explained the Sparring thing i think its not necessary anymore^^

I never build up a Military until now, i just crowded my Entrance with Cage and Weapon Traps, which sufficed for the first 9 Goblins that arrived (6 got sliced up and 3 where catched by the Cages). But i think now with the means to train them (by letting them Punch Goblins) i will try it, at least as soon as i have Smelters and stuff. So thanks again for your help, im off awaiting the first attack which will hopefully supply me with some Goblin material, or maybe i will beat up some elves just for the giggles.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »

Designing a pit using an act(i)vity zone must be used at the open space square. It can be used to throw creatures and captured ennemies using the zone (p)roperties. Watch out though, a goblin thief can escape before being thrown down the pit and scare a great many dwarves.

You can also use a garbage dump zone using (i). If the dump is set next to an open space square, the items dumped will be thrown down into the open square.

The most simple way is to build, in an area you can qualify as an arena, a cage containing a goblin (choose the right cage by e(x)panding the list of cages available for construction). Then dump the goblin equipment using (on the cage location) (d)esignate, (b), (d)ump and also (d)esignate, (b), (c) unforbid, so your haulers dump all the goblin equipment and he's left naked. Don't forget to undesignate the cage material for dumping using (t). Afterward, (b)uild a (T) (l)ever and link it to the cage. When the lever is pulled, the cage will be deconstructed and the goblin will be released, naked. Your military can then proceed to wack him using training weapons (sword, axe or spear, depending on the skill to train). With armors and clothes, your soldiers do this without much danger, and the use of training weapons lets the poor defenseless creature ugly bastard survive quite long enough.

Goblins give live action training, but still, the danger room design gives a much better training (with armored dwarves). At least in my opinion.

The best way is to use cage traps. (b)uild a (T) (c)age trap in a location where wild animals goof around, chances are one will get caught. Note that he won't come tamed, but if he's not exotic you will be able to tame him at the kennel (say, camels, goats, stuff like that). I believe animal traps are for vermins, but you don't want that dusgusting kind.

It's worth giving your miners 5 points in mining at embark. They then have a headstart in one of the most important dwarven job, digging your mountain home. Other than that, maybe the new version is more processor-intensive than the previous, and therefore gives less frames per second (FPS).

If your areas (biomes) are rainy and not too hot (scorching temperatures evaporate water pretty fast), your lake (called murky pool) will refill, given enough time. Still, it's better not to rely on murky pools for a reliable source of water. Better use an aquifer, a river (brook, stream of bigger), or a water body (above or under ground) connected to the border of the map.

Yes, with default world gen settings, there is magma and caverns in every maps, but you CAN change that with custom advanced settings.

That is... complicated. Wether it be because you intimidated previous ambushes and survivors told the aweful stories to the parent civ, or the civ itself has its hands full with other ennemies, goblins don't necessarily assault you constantly. I personnaly don't know much about it, but maybe others have tried !!science!! on that side.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:18:31 am »

I was abel to catch, Tame and train a Cheetah (some sort of Cat i think) for War, currently im trying to catch a Elephant but they wandered off a while ago. I hope they come back^^

Shortly after my last post, one of my Dwarfs went Berserk. He got struck down by my Waranimals. Im thinking about installing some Cage Traps inside my Fortress to catch such idiots. Is it actually possible to contain a Dwarf that went berserk in a Cage until the Insanity wears off?

Also, if i assign a Miner to the Military, how do i make him drop his Pick? I thought about using Miners for my Military Forces, because they gain Strength while mining. But ofc i want to be able to assign new Miners after the old ones start their Military Carrier, and for that i need those Picks. I currently have no Weapons in my Fortress, Smelters and such arent build yet so they probably keep the Picks because theres nothing else avaible, any suggestions how to make them train unarmed, or do i need to make other Weapons first?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:26:20 am »

I was abel to catch, Tame and train a Cheetah (some sort of Cat i think) for War, currently im trying to catch a Elephant but they wandered off a while ago. I hope they come back^^

They will.  Oh they will.

Quote from: Stuebi
Shortly after my last post, one of my Dwarfs went Berserk. He got struck down by my Waranimals. Im thinking about installing some Cage Traps inside my Fortress to catch such idiots. Is it actually possible to contain a Dwarf that went berserk in a Cage until the Insanity wears off?

Insanity never wears off, actually.  Only tantrums do.

Quote from: Stuebi
Also, if i assign a Miner to the Military, how do i make him drop his Pick? I thought about using Miners for my Military Forces, because they gain Strength while mining. But ofc i want to be able to assign new Miners after the old ones start their Military Carrier, and for that i need those Picks. I currently have no Weapons in my Fortress, Smelters and such arent build yet so they probably keep the Picks because theres nothing else avaible, any suggestions how to make them train unarmed, or do i need to make other Weapons first?

Just disable Mining on them before you draft them and wait for them to drop off their pick.  Dwarves only carry job-relevant tools when they're officially given that job.
Sanity is for the weak.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:26:55 am »

Darn, well then i will have to make other "Things" with such Berserky Dwarfs *evil Laughter*

I Allready planted Cage Traps everywhere, cant wait to catch some Elephants and then getting ambushed by some Goblins. Probably will suck to be them if they realise that they attacked Dwarfs with War-Elephants as Pets.

Well then, i will wait anyway for some more Immigrants, before i start my Military, after it is somewhat done i will dig for some Caverns or even Magma, cant wait to catch myself a Dragon or something like that that Guards my Entrance. A Monster Spider would be cool too.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 12:11:14 pm »

Why cant i tame the Cheetahs and Warthogs i catched? With the first cheetah i got it worked perfectly fine, but my Ainmal Trainer doesnt tame the ones i catched a bit later. Also is there a way to to kill and butcher caged animals savely?

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:02:35 pm »

Also is there a way to to kill and butcher caged animals savely?
Tame them.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 01:18:44 pm »

If your areas (biomes) are rainy and not too hot (scorching temperatures evaporate water pretty fast), your lake (called murky pool) will refill, given enough time.
Drainage is the other thing that matters - rain controls how fast it fills, temperature controls how fast it evaporates and drainage affects how fast the water just falls into the ground. You can never have murky pools that last long in high drainage maps, no matter how often it rains.

My first Fortress got one ambush by goblins, and then i never saw any attack again. And i played for quite a few ingame years. Is it random or is it possible that some Fortresses dont get attacked at all or only a few times with not many attackers?
Generally if you got ambushed once, you should be getting ambushed on a fairly regular basis though it is random whether they show up on each season. You may have gotten a lucky streak of dice rolls. Also, your wealth affects the ambush probability - the richer you are, the more likely they'll come to steal your wealth.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:24:15 pm »

I had 3 Fortresses until now, all rather over a pretty long time period. One got f**** by a massive Horde of Goblins, the second one was built on an Aquifier and after hours of fun, all my Dwarfs had drowned. That may reflect bad on me as a person but i found both incident HILARIOUS, especially the drowning thing caused some serious laughin on my side (not on the dwarf side sadly). My 3 Fortress was just started, and until now its all fine except that the Carpenter doesnt work (wrote that in the "Carpenters lazy?" thread so no need to voer that here) and i realised just now that i allready emptied the only Lake of the whole map for my farm, so all my Dwarfs that get wounded are DOOMED.

That's expected required to play DF. You will get your fix of S&M every time you play. Just embrace it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:55 pm »

Is Trading currently bugged? I cant see the value of the Goods i trade, and the trader keeps telling me he wont trade at loss  even if im giving him more than he gives me^^

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 11:05:32 pm »

Your broker must not have the Appraisal skill, which allows you to see those prices...  Definitely get one with that skill!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:37 am »

I have one, but he wont come to the trading Depot if i call for him. Is there a way to get the Priority higher?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 08:02:30 am »

There's a way. Remove ALL his labors during trading, and he becomes a dedicated broker.

Much more info is found in the wiki : http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Trading
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.
Pages: [1] 2