Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: silver shields?  (Read 1751 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
silver shields?
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:08:15 pm »

Since material has no effect on the block chance of shields and bucklers, wouldn't a silver, gold, or platinum shield be superior? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a shield bash counts as a blunt attack.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: silver shields?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »

Yes but heavy shields will slow your dwarfs down. Since dwarfs with weapons will rarely use shields to attack, its probably not worth it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:12:17 pm »

Lead is heavier than silver, but otherwise, yeah, heavier material= more headaches.

Though I'd rather keep it for furnitures and stuff.

Also, this:
Yes but heavy shields will slow your dwarfs down. Since dwarfs with weapons will rarely use shields to attack, its probably not worth it.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:19:08 pm »

More importantly, silver is not an armor-quality material by default, so it can't be turned into shields except with an artifact.

Also, since shields are considered armor, high Armor User skill will reduce how much heavy shields will slow them down. Copper is the highest-density armor-quality metal. Presumably copper shields would be the "best" you can make for that reason.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 05:26:57 pm »

Since material has no effect on the block chance of shields and bucklers, wouldn't a silver, gold, or platinum shield be superior? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a shield bash counts as a blunt attack.

They'd certainly be shinier.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 05:28:12 pm »

That could be either bad or good, depending on who gets distracted, the enemy or your dorfs.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 05:30:17 pm »

Oh, good. Then i can save my iron for other equipment.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:03 pm »

Not once it's covered in goblin gore from the heads it's bashed in.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 05:41:04 pm »

You might as well make your shields out of wood. I guess they can catch on fire, though?

I'm sure Link could find a use for a shield that's as shiny as a mirror. But he's a filthy elf, so that's reason enough not to make them.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 05:50:36 pm »

Link can't be an elf because he is in the goddess's favor. Everyone knows that elves are god-forsaken heathens.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 05:53:43 pm »

Link can't be an elf because he is in the goddess's favor. Everyone knows that elves are god-forsaken heathens.
He also goes around blowing up rocks and setting trees on fire. Or falling into magma. More dwarf than an elf, that guy.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 05:57:21 pm »

He also goes around blowing up rocks and setting trees on fire. Or falling into magma. More dwarf than an elf, that guy.

He also slays goblin-like creatures and loots them.  Also, the size of the Master Sword in comparison to his body, and the fact that he uses it as a 1-h sword anyway, betrays his dwarfyness.