Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Monom (trainer) vs. Stray Elephant. Who wins?

Monom
- 1 (2.1%)
Stray Elephant
- 16 (34%)
Armok
- 30 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Will my trainer ever catch the elephant running around in the fort?  (Read 1000 times)

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One month so far. No progress.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Will my trainer ever catch the elephant running around in the fort?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 03:22:24 pm »

No faith in Monom. He'll have to drink sometime.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:23:46 pm »

Use cages -.- , i just hope the elephant is tame
Desu

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:25:14 pm »

I had him in a cage.... and then I transferred him to another cage with a lever attached so I could train him..... errr.... -- well, I tried to have him moved, anyway.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:27:43 pm »

Duh you should builded the cage he was in -.- , great I just don't get it how he can't catch him , asing all dwarves to train n' catching , you will catch him for sure  , but your fort will stop production , reserve ze bozee!
Desu

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 03:35:45 pm »

PLOT TWIST!

Butcher caught him. Just in time, too -- only had ~3k units of food left.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »

only had ~3k units of food left.

That's enough to last a few years if you have a 50-60 dwarf fortress.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »

Is anyone going to point out that releasing animals is not how you train them?  You have to build a kennel first and then assign the training job from there.  While the animal is still caged.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »

Also, you kinda need to tame them first before letting them loose. I made that mistake the first time I was working with elephants as well, and it... didn't end well.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 12:27:25 am »

Is anyone going to point out that releasing animals is not how you train them?  You have to build a kennel first and then assign the training job from there.  While the animal is still caged.

Wait... I thought I could only train uncaged animals? I can't train caged dogs... I didn't think I could anyway. Hold on..........

Hm. A bronze colossus showed up some time after I passed out, so I guess I'll probably be starting a new fort soon. :x 20 dwarves in exceptional+ iron armor & battleaxes & ~30 war animals. Maybe.

.... Maybe not. The colossus has been strangling a particular battered-to-hell axedwarf for weeks now with as much result as 20 dwarfs hacking at it has. Apparently I need different weapons? Bludgeoning wouldn't glance off, I'd guess.... Maybe this elven caravan which waltzed on by the battle without concern will have something. Blowtorches - do elves carry those? uhhh.... Maybe the air will oxidize the metal and cause him to rust eventually? Do elves sell leafblowers?

*sigh* That was unexpected. The death of my dwarves resulted in a multi-month battle with the colossus. Not from combat, but because when I set my dwarves to eat/drink/sleep they refused to go back in the fort because they'd be too close to the bronze colossus.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:18:03 am by Kluge »

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 12:31:54 am »

I think were confusing taming and training.
You keep the elephant in the cage its caught in, then you tell the kennel to tame a large animal, then you release the tamed animal to train.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:31:26 am »

Hm. A bronze colossus showed up some time after I passed out, so I guess I'll probably be starting a new fort soon. :x 20 dwarves in exceptional+ iron armor & battleaxes & ~30 war animals. Maybe.
Wait... so you're trying to damage a thing made of solid bronze, with the kind of stuff goblins use? Are you serious? It's like trying to scratch glass with a piece of plastic.

Maybe the air will oxidize the metal and cause him to rust eventually?
From wikipedia : Typically bronze only oxidizes superficially; once a copper oxide (eventually becoming copper carbonate) layer is formed, the underlying metal is protected from further corrosion.
This is no iron, mate. Plus, rusting isn't implemented in the game yet. I mean according to dwarven science, rust doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:33:08 am by Marthnn »
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:31:46 am »

Slightly unrelated to the issue, but related to the sillyness that is the elephonts.

I once had a fortress in a biome inhabited by a small pack? of elephants. It was a peaceful life - that is until one of the dwarfes went outside (I isolated them) to get a drink and brought with him home a large male of the species. Much !!FUN!! ensued as it decided to follow said dwarf into my dining room and proceed to maim everyone residing within. Only a single dorf survived the onslaught.

I had much fun ordering him to dig graves and emtomb everyone all alone - forever (or atleast until some imigrants came and I slaughtered the entire pack.) I almost wish I had made a throne room with bone furniture (is that even possible via crafting?) in rememberance of the event.
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:35:48 pm »

If you were willing to make a reaction for every item of furniture, or willing to edit a single reaction every time you wanted something, you could probably create bone furniture. This would work fine on things dwarves already butcher, but goblin bone thrones (made from actual goblin bone) would quite likely require a change to dwarven ethics.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.