Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Arguing about Oblivion again  (Read 4361 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arguing about Oblivion again
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 03:26:16 pm »

Bethesda didn't make New Vegas.

But you know they had a hand in it. They let it happen and put their money in it. There is no reason to think they won't take what is already there and just improve on it.
I can think of a reason - they don't have the people who made New Vegas. Unless they decide to steal people from Obsidian or outsource everything to them (both of which I doubt), I can't see how the very existence of New Vegas can help their future titles. It's not like Obsidian created some miracle technology for New Vegas, which magically improves the writing and balance.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 04:00:53 pm »

Bethesda didn't make New Vegas.

But you know they had a hand in it. They let it happen and put their money in it. There is no reason to think they won't take what is already there and just improve on it.
I can think of a reason - they don't have the people who made New Vegas. Unless they decide to steal people from Obsidian or outsource everything to them (both of which I doubt), I can't see how the very existence of New Vegas can help their future titles. It's not like Obsidian created some miracle technology for New Vegas, which magically improves the writing and balance.
This. Unless Bethesda thinks, "Hey, people really liked the fact that New Vegas actually had good writing, we should hire good writers because apparently that's important in a video game." instead of, "New Vegas was a success, it must be because of [something unimportant]" like I fear is the case.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 05:15:36 pm »

Oblivion did only two things to improve on Morrowind - swapping the bow model to the left hand for realism, and hotkey spellcasting.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:53:54 pm by Spiral42 »
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 05:40:11 pm »

This. Unless Bethesda thinks, "Hey, people really liked the fact that New Vegas actually had good writing, we should hire good writers because apparently that's important in a video game." instead of, "New Vegas was a success, it must be because of [something unimportant]" like I fear is the case.

This is what will happen. Bethesda have show an incredible propensity over the years to learn from their mistakes whilst failing to retain the essence of their past successes.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »

Oblivion did only two things to improve on Morrowind - swapping the bow model to the left hand for realism, and hotkey spellcasting.

I have to disagree

stealth was made better in oblivion.
You could finally keep track of what items were stolen.
Bartering was better because you didn't have to wait 24 hours each time to finally sell items.
regenerating mana was an improvement.

And the merging of some skills seemed like an improvement to me. The problem isn't really that there were too much skills, but more the fact that they didn't influence each other in any way. The world's best sword fighter in Morrowind was just as useless with an axe as a freshly drafted peasants, which I found rather frustrating, and if knew everything there is to know about heavy armour you might expect some things to apply to medium armour as well.

but it pretty much ends there.....
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 07:22:39 pm »

What I hated about Oblivion was that it was one of the first in a huge wave of awful games designed for console. What made it worse for me was that I liked the TES series and to see something that I loved so much turned into something that was designed to appeal to 10 year olds and a general mainstream audience.

Oh dear, I feel the same about what they did to Fallout, maybe a hundred fold.  Though, I did play Morrowind before Oblivion came out and I did know that they were in the same series of games, I never really thought of them as such.  Morrowind is so different from Oblivion that it is hard to see where the connection is most of the time.  Admittedly, I don't have much room to talk because I have spent a whopping hour or so with Oblivion.

Anyways, I mostly wanted to post to say that I enjoyed reading your arguments and I say so with an eye towards staving off those friends who'll call it a "futile waste of effort and energy..." or something like that.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 07:23:52 pm »

And the merging of some skills seemed like an improvement to me. The problem isn't really that there were too much skills, but more the fact that they didn't influence each other in any way. The world's best sword fighter in Morrowind was just as useless with an axe as a freshly drafted peasants, which I found rather frustrating, and if knew everything there is to know about heavy armour you might expect some things to apply to medium armour as well.

but it pretty much ends there.....

I'm pretty sure it's the same in Oblivion, just with fewer skills.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 07:26:20 pm »

The only difference in that is that the worlds greatest warhammer master is also somehow an instant master at useing axes.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »

Obviously I wouldn't want to wander around completely lost.  I'd like to find things the same way you would in reality
by using a compass?
hohoho

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 07:40:52 pm »

I liked the compass to be honest, knowing what cardinal direction I'm going without checking the map is good. What I HATED was the pointer that pointed directly where I needed to go for a quest.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 07:44:38 pm »

The only difference in that is that the worlds greatest warhammer master is also somehow an instant master at useing axes.

To be honest, warhammers are similar in swing direction etc, axes are just a lot more complex. Now, maces and handaxes are completely different, I'll grant you that.

I wish they'd put back in the fucking spear skill. Spears are so underrepresented in fantasy, it's not even funny anymore.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 07:49:25 pm »

the quest pointers are completely in-character knowledge that they are displaying for the player, because maybe the player doesn't have as good of a memory as the character, and it's an RPG.
Seriously, every single quest has the NPC pointing out on the map where to go, or giving you precise enough details where the character would be like "oh, okay it's gonna be northeast of my location *quest pointer is displayed to the not so canny player*"
of course, this is immersion breaking because it's an UI element.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 07:58:25 pm »

When I play oblivion for the first time, I thought it was a pretty nice game. However after playing over and over, and playing the other games like Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, I find the game and the engine a bit boring now and tired of the engine and the looks. I like oblivion due to the combat system, how you can properly hit the enemy without a judge of skill like in morrowind. I can kill enemies and not get killed by a damn meager animal like a damn crawler in Morrowind. The Storyline in the game was ok, but not that great. It was a bit lengthy, but not that much lengthy to last 2 weeks playing though the whole storyline, even when cheating. Most of the places that I've been to are mostly scripted or suppose to belong to a script of a quest, which sometimes I dislike when I want to explore a dungeon without any influence with a quest to level up, get new gear from chest, and other things but now I kinda felt bored after acquiring the toughest armor out there, and felt dissatisfied how there is not enough verity in the weapons.

Since skyrim have been announced, I would be happy, but after playing though Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas, I know that I would suffer from a lack of verity of items, the storyline can probably be beaten within 3 days, it might be buggy as hell, nice shiny new graphics but it will wear out within time. What else is there to expect from the repetitive Bethesda Studios?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 07:59:21 pm »

Yeah. But they don't say "go into that house, take the second door on the left, and look on top of the wardrobe" Yet somehow the quest pointer is there.
*Hugs*

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 08:04:04 pm »

I wish they'd put back in the fucking spear skill. Spears are so underrepresented in fantasy, it's not even funny anymore.

They haven't been forgotten in Mount & Blade (Warband at least), that's for sure.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4