Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Arguing about Oblivion again  (Read 4357 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Arguing about Oblivion again
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:35:41 am »

While I'm sure there's a thread on this forum already dedicated to Oblivion that I could reanimate the skeletal remains of for this purpose, it's too far burried in the list to be worth tracking down.  So I'm starting a new one specifically for keeping the discussion I was about to have about Oblivion out of the Skyrim thread.

I disagree with a lot of what you have said, Ioric. I'm not saying that vanilla Oblivion has no bad points, but you are entirely ignoring the amazing points of the game whilst over-exaggerating the disappointing parts.

The level scaling system isn't as bad as you make it out to be; "Oh no! The game gets harder later on! It's a terrible game!". Many people love the level up system as it forces you to plan out your character beforehand. The skill system is one of the best I've ever seen in a videogame and it never breaks immersion by saying, "Alright, you've just spent two hours fighting monsters in a cave with your sword, do you want to become better and bartering?". There's no flight magic, wait a minute, neither does almost every game! The compass is a nice idea, would you prefer wondering around in the wilderness, entirely lost? If you don't want to be told what to do on quests then simply don't read the quest log.

You're totally missing the point.  The game doesn't just get harder later on, it gets fucked up later on.  It doesn't break immersion by making you better at bartering after killing monsters for two hours yes.  That is the one good point, but you're completely ignoring the part that makes it totally broken.  Specifically, If you make a character with major skills in anything but combat then using those skills will make the game unplayably difficult because all the enemies will magically level up in combat skill due to your leveling up in bartering skill.  And tell me how it's "immersive" that all the bandits in the world always get stronger and better equipment as you level up?  Tell me what's immersive about having to setting a mage character to have no magic skills as primary in order to level your magic skills up enough before you level up to get a decent stat bonus that will allow you to compete with the level scaling?  What's immersive about bandits suddenly spawning in full daedric armor because you leveled up?

As for flight magic.  You're right.  There are very few games that have it.  In fact the only series I can think of was The Elder Scrolls series... until Oblivion.

Obviously I wouldn't want to wander around completely lost.  I'd like to find things the same way you would in reality... and Morrowind.  By following directions.  The compass is permanently plastered to the bottom of your screen so good luck not seeing it.  The popups are even worse.  My problem is not that the quest log tell you what to do.  That would be stupid.  My problem is that the game has these pop up messages constantly popping up and forcing you to click OK every time you get a journal and that they include step by step instructions for things that are completely self-explanatory long after the tutorial has supposedly ended. (A long mandatory Tutorial that you have to play through every single time is another flaw in the game.)  They treat you like some sort of idiot child even though it's a T rated game.

If the entire of Cyrodiil was a rainforest the game's setting would be incredibly boring, rainforests look the same pretty much wherever you go. They just made a decision to use a patchwork fantasy map that varies in the different places. The thing about the Amulet of Kings being a PR stunt is evidently not true, as upon taking it off the Daedric prince, Mehrunes Dagon, attacks Cyrodiil.

I'm beginning to think you're being willfully ignorant.  First off I didn't say the entire of Cyrodiil was a rainforest.  I said that Cyrodiil was supposed to be Rainforest and marshes.  Secondly.  Your assertion that rainforests look the same where ever you go, while most likely completely false, I don't really even understand how it would be relevant if it were true.  Oblivion looks pretty much the same everywhere you went.  Certainly no less generic that it would have looked had they stuck to the original lore.  There's no reason for them to make everything look exactly the same except for laziness.

As I've already said, the history of the world had already proven it to be a PR stunt.  There were several instances over the course of the setting's history where a Septim didn't wear the amulet of kings with no Daeric invasion.  The whole plot that it was actually true was simply a ret con of all that history.

The interface is obviously made for consoles, if you're not on a console then change it!

People have tried.  I've seen UI improvements that made the game significantly more playable but it's still a console interface that's been improved upon in what few ways it could be my third party modders.  And since when does being able to fix a problem mean it never existed?

Wait a minute, someone actually followed the dialogue of the game?

Was that supposed to be an argument?

Why don't you use this complaint about violence for every other game? Have you ever played a CoD game, or even Dwarf Fortress?

Because it doesn't apply to every game.  CoD is a First Person Shooter where the player has no dialogue.  It's all just run and gun and maybe a bit of sneak and kill.  Dwarf Fortress is a strategy game/roguelike that's in the pre-alpha stage of development.  Oblivion on the other hand is a full on retail released AAA RPG, or so it claimed.  They even hyped the dialogue as one of the improvements over Morrowind.

The writing is decent and much better than many other games I've played and at least it has voice actors. There is one case where the the voice changes and that is with beggars, who you never even need to hear the changing voice unless you are doing the Thieves Guild quests.

Well I can't comment on your opinion of the quality of the writing compared to other games you've played except to assume you've mostly played games with terrible writing.  Tons of games have voice acting.  Voice acting is nothing special.  Hell using full voice acting in a game is often a bad thing since it means much less dialogue due to the expense of paying all those voice actors for their hours of work.  Games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate struck a happy medium.  Bethesda's notable obsession with full voice acting is just another bit of pandering to the idiot masses who can't be assed to read.

I, personally, liked the little minigames, they were amusing.

Doesn't make it any less idiotic that you improve someone's disposition with you by clicking a spinning wheel to Joke, Boast, Compliment, and Coerce them all at once in the right order while somehow being able to tell what their reaction to each option will be before hand.

The combat was a helluva lot better than Morrowind's, in which you could swing your weaopn at an enemy twenty times and do no damage whatsoever!.

You can do the same thing in Oblivion.  It's called missing.  The only difference is that in Oblivion it doesn't take your character's skill into account so hitting and missing is only dependent on the hit box.

Quote from: Quick search of 'radiant AI' in Google
From Wikipedia's treatment of Oblivion, a complete description of Bethesda's ground breaking new scripting system. Each NPC (non playing character) is giving a list of goals, how they achieve them is based on the character's individual statistics.

For example one NPC was given a rake and the goal "rake leaves"; another was given a broom and the goal "sweep paths," and this worked smoothly. Then they swapped the items, so that the raker was given a broom and the sweeper was given the rake. In the end, one of them killed the other so he could get the proper item.
That is far from a hoax.

Except that... they didn't do anything like this in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg
This is not radiant AI.  This is scripted.  Whether or not you care, it's still technically a hoax.

Finally I would like to point out that any problems that you have with the game can easily be modded out on PC.

Being able to fix a problem does not mean it wasn't a problem.  You don't buy a car only to find out it's broken and just say "Oh well, I can fix it so there's nothing wrong with it."  Well.... I'd assume you wouldn't.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:39:00 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arguing about Oblivion again
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:43:34 am »

Quote from: Quick search of 'radiant AI' in Google
From Wikipedia's treatment of Oblivion, a complete description of Bethesda's ground breaking new scripting system. Each NPC (non playing character) is giving a list of goals, how they achieve them is based on the character's individual statistics.

For example one NPC was given a rake and the goal "rake leaves"; another was given a broom and the goal "sweep paths," and this worked smoothly. Then they swapped the items, so that the raker was given a broom and the sweeper was given the rake. In the end, one of them killed the other so he could get the proper item.
That is far from a hoax.

Except that... they didn't do anything like this in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg
This is not radiant AI.  This is scripted.  Whether or not you care, it's still technically a hoax.

It's also hilariously funny that they claimed they removed a lot of Radiant AI because NPCs were killing each other. Why not put a flag of "Do not attack for needs" or something?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 09:44:30 am »

Oh no, not this again.

Ioric, by this point everyone understands that you just don't like Oblivion. I don't see why they're arguing with you any more, or why you're arguing with them. Your arguments are not going to convince people that like something to "see it in a new light", and respectively, their arguments, picked apart or not, are not going to sway you into perhaps enjoying the game, because you don't find it enjoyable in the first place.

Really, this whole thing is so silly. It will never end. Some people are gonna like a game, some aren't, and you gotta agree to disagree. Maybe the haters are wrong on some points. Maybe the lovers of the game missed a lot of critical points on how it doesn't do this or that. Regardless of how right any of you are about the game itself, the argument as a whole is void and unproductive. All that's gonna come of this is people liking other people less.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:55:41 am »

Oh no, not this again.

Ioric, by this point everyone understands that you just don't like Oblivion. I don't see why they're arguing with you any more, or why you're arguing with them. Your arguments are not going to convince people that like something to "see it in a new light", and respectively, their arguments, picked apart or not, are not going to sway you into perhaps enjoying the game, because you don't find it enjoyable in the first place.

Really, this whole thing is so silly. It will never end. Some people are gonna like a game, some aren't, and you gotta agree to disagree. Maybe the haters are wrong on some points. Maybe the lovers of the game missed a lot of critical points on how it doesn't do this or that. Regardless of how right any of you are about the game itself, the argument as a whole is void and unproductive. All that's gonna come of this is people liking other people less.

That's why I started a separate thread instead of dragging down the Skyrim thread with the discussion.  Anyway, I like arguing, but the only people I'm comfortable with in real life to actually argue with either agree with me on most things they have an opinion about, or hate arguing.  Debate and picking apart other people's arguments is mentally stimulating.  Moreso that many computer games these days.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:58:07 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:03:15 am »

Yeah, I guess that's true, if you put it in the form of a debate. The whole discussion/argument didn't seem much like a debate, though -- rather, more like an angry no-you're-wrong-I'm right. And of course, by disagreeing with your last post, I am arguing the fact that you were arguing, so if I do not leave now, the forums will implode. I'm glad to see you're being more reasonable than I thought, though.

To stay OT I will just say that you're wrong about the minigame where you click on what appears to be a game of relationship simon says. It's not that bad. In fact, it's worse -- you can just throw them some spare change and skip it entirely, to the point that the addition was useless in the first place when bribing was so easy.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:42:01 am »

Alas, my time is short so I can't make a long post, but I'll do what I can. I, too, find debating and arguing incredibly enjoyable and when I was younger my parents often punished me for arguing so much. Anyways, I will begin by saying that vanilla Oblivion isn't a brilliant game, in fact it's entirely average. I simply think that what makes the Oblivion great for me is the mods, the fact that the game is essentially an engine with a fun little game tacked on. The game acts simply as a medium through which I play the mods and get endless amounts of fun.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:44:45 am »

What I hated about Oblivion was that it was one of the first in a huge wave of awful games designed for console. What made it worse for me was that I liked the TES series and to see something that I loved so much turned into something that was designed to appeal to 10 year olds and a general mainstream audience.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:32 am »

You're totally missing the point.  The game doesn't just get harder later on, it gets fucked up later on.  It doesn't break immersion by making you better at bartering after killing monsters for two hours yes.  That is the one good point, but you're completely ignoring the part that makes it totally broken.  Specifically, If you make a character with major skills in anything but combat then using those skills will make the game unplayably difficult because all the enemies will magically level up in combat skill due to your leveling up in bartering skill.  And tell me how it's "immersive" that all the bandits in the world always get stronger and better equipment as you level up?  Tell me what's immersive about having to setting a mage character to have no magic skills as primary in order to level your magic skills up enough before you level up to get a decent stat bonus that will allow you to compete with the level scaling?  What's immersive about bandits suddenly spawning in full daedric armor because you leveled up?

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah, BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...

Oh, it's you. Hi.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:53:12 am »

Quite frankly, if I want to play Morrowind, I play Morrowind, and not Oblivion.

I don't compare Morrowind with Oblivion much; it just sort of makes me want to play Morrowind.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 01:45:53 pm »

I just decided Oblivion is better than fallout 3, even though I sort of like fallout 3, it was just a dissappointment because I grew up with Fallout 1 and 2. New Vegas was better though, I like it a lot.
Skyrim should be good too.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 02:46:09 pm »

Perhaps Bethesda just made Oblivion and Fallout 3 so simple to appeal to a general audience, but now that they have a cult following they'll start making games like Morrowind again. New Vegas was a step in the right direction.    :D
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »

Bethesda didn't make New Vegas.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 03:02:53 pm »

But you know they had a hand in it. They let it happen and put their money in it. There is no reason to think they won't take what is already there and just improve on it.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:26 pm »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/959557-fallout-new-vegas/data

Looks like they did to me. I've never played it (really wanted to) but they are the company who's given credit for it. 'course they COULD just be the publishers, not the developers.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:05:27 pm by freeformschooler »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/959557-fallout-new-vegas/data

Looks like they did to me. I've never played it (really wanted to) but they are the company who's given credit for it. 'course they COULD just be the publishers, not the developers.

They very much are just the publishers, Obsidian Softworks (headed by Chris Avellone who worked on Fallout 2 and the 'Van Buren' project) did New Vegas.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4