Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Abandoned Wounded Child  (Read 3085 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abandoned Wounded Child
« on: January 16, 2011, 06:36:48 am »

So my militia chased a mole dog into a web-filled area of the caverns and killed it. During the incident one of the soldier's babies grew into a child. This child had suffered spinal damage during infancy and lost the ability to stand.

Now the child is just waiting there, not moving from the spot. Everyone else has moved away, including the mother. Could this be due to the injury? The info screen says that diagnosis is required but nobody is coming to help the child. I thought it might have been spider webs, but there's no "webbed" notification. Anyone have any ideas?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned Wounded Child
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:38:11 am »

Your dorfs might simply be apathetic bastards.

Do you have a hospital?

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:41:42 am »

Yup. A working hospital that has treated more than a dozen dwarfs in the fort's history.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:43:38 am »

Sounds like bait to me.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:04:39 am »

Chances are that child will die of dehydration before anyone comes to help. He'll never move on his own due to his injury; he basically grew too old for his mother to carry, and cannot walk on his own, so when he got that old Mom dropped him right there and marched off to kill the mole dog, forgetting ole whatshisface.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:08 am »

Now why would you want to save a child that cannot stand? It won't be able to ever do anything, all it would do after being put in the hospital is resting there for the rest of its life. Just let it die in the cavern, since dorfs give placing dead in tombs a much higher priority than actually recovering wounded no problem there.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:37 am »

She may eventually notice that her shield baby is missing and go help. I doubt it though. Time to have another shield baby.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 07:30:39 am »

Well, a dead child causes unhappy thoughts to the family, and his mom is a legendary swordsdwarf.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:33:03 am »

I've had similar problems with a dwarf who was injured in a cave-in. A 'recover wounded' task is generated when another dwarf happens to walk past the casualty, but there isn't yet a mechanism for them to notice a dwarf's absence.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 07:35:11 am »

But it will die anyway, so I don't see an alternative. Make sure the mom   has a legendary bedroom and stuffs then dump the roof on the child.
I've had similar problems with a dwarf who was injured in a cave-in. A 'recover wounded' task is generated when another dwarf happens to walk past the casualty, but there isn't yet a mechanism for them to notice a dwarf's absence.
Aha! Create a burrow around the child and somebody will (hopefully) notice it.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 07:44:41 am »

Not a fan of engineered cave-ins to be honest. I'm happy to just leave the child there since I've set a barred door to avoid mole dog incursions. Time to renovate his mom's room I guess.

Corwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 10:15:12 am »

Try to make someone go there.  If it's safe enough, designate a few tiles of constructed or smoothed floor to be done around him.  That'll bring masons over there to him.

Though if he's not "injured" wouldn't he be stuck and other dwarves with give food/water jobs tend to him?  if so, that's a difficult one.

Perhaps you could build a cage trap under him, when he sleeps he'd set it off, then be caught, then you try and transport him and build the cage in the hospital, or out in the field for a snatcher to take off your hands, then make a lever and open the cage.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 10:40:54 am »

I built a cage trap under him and sent miners to dig out the rock wall next to him (they ignored him). Just waiting for the kid to fall asleep to see if the trap thing works.

EDIT: Never mind, he died of thirst before he could doze off. His mom is still ecstatic thanks to all the awesome furniture she has. Kinda cold when you think about it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:44:32 am by Haruspex_Pariah »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:46:16 am »

I built a cage trap under him and sent miners to dig out the rock wall next to him (they ignored him). Just waiting for the kid to fall asleep to see if the trap thing works.

EDIT: Never mind, he died of thirst before he could doze off. His mom is still ecstatic thanks to all the awesome furniture she has. Kinda cold when you think about it.
If she didn't care enough to look for her kid, then that was to be expected.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 01:17:09 pm »

Now why would you want to save a child that cannot stand? It won't be able to ever do anything, all it would do after being put in the hospital is resting there for the rest of its life. Just let it die in the cavern, since dorfs give placing dead in tombs a much higher priority than actually recovering wounded no problem there.

Sicko.
Pages: [1] 2