Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Carpenter's too lazy to work?  (Read 1871 times)

DerUbermensch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Carpenter's too lazy to work?
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:10 pm »

I've been having this problem with my Carpenter's when I require them to work at the workshop. I set the task to repeat, and they do it once before immediately returning to the Meeting Hall with no job.

Is this a bug or are they lazy?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Carpenter's too lazy to work?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:18:41 pm »

Maybe you simply don't have enough wood?

DerUbermensch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:22:28 pm »

Oh, I do have wood, the workshop IS RIGHT INTO MY STOCKPILE. I have about thirty logs. I'm desperate for barrels, my stockpile is filled with fish and it's on verge of filling.  :'(

I'm about halfway to sending this tree-hugging Elf-lover straight into the bloody circus.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:35:02 pm by DerUbermensch »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »

Maybe something's forbidden that shouldn't be?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

DerUbermensch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:52:33 pm »

Nothing that I've checked has been forbidden. Not the wood, I dunno how the workshop could be forbidden.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:54:35 pm »

Didn't find anything concerning this in the wiki or the bug tracker.

Maybe you should try de-/reconstructing the workshop.

DerUbermensch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:55:08 pm »

I have done as such, twelve times and counting, and nothing has yet to happen.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:59:19 pm »

Have you tried de-/reconstructing the stockpile, forbidding/reclaiming the wood, killing your carpenter, making a virgin sacrifice?

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:19 pm »

Maybe a burrows problem? Do they actually succeed in making the first barrel, or do they give up immediately upon entering the workshop.

Also, you can forbid workshops by forbidding the material they're  made of.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 10:08:31 pm »

So the task gets done once, is repeated properly in the workshop but afterward ignored? And the carpenter then has the "no job" occupation, not "on break" or the like? And you didn't change burrows, workshop profile, locked doors, carpenter labors, anything?

No can do. If the logs were inaccessible, the task would be canceled with announcement. I'd say no carpenter (having nothing else to do) has access to the workshop, but you're telling it's not the case.

Yes, the workshop can be forbidden. Use (t) View items in building, if the workshop base material is forbidden nobody will use it.

Alternately, try to look at the (j)ob list to see if it is listed and inactive. You can often get precisions about jobs in there (like the next item a moody dwarf is fetching).
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

DerUbermensch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:49 pm »

So the task gets done once, is repeated properly in the workshop but afterward ignored? And the carpenter then has the "no job" occupation, not "on break" or the like? And you didn't change burrows, workshop profile, locked doors, carpenter labors, anything?

That about sums up what's the issue, he does it once, then gives up and goes to the meeting hall.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 10:13:41 pm »

Does he have booze? If he hasn't had any alcohol to drink recently he'll just sit there until he does, eventually becoming so lazy as to not even go eat when hungry.

DerUbermensch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 10:18:46 pm »

Does he have booze? If he hasn't had any alcohol to drink recently he'll just sit there until he does, eventually becoming so lazy as to not even go eat when hungry.

The food & drink are a few steps away, he's gotten enough to drink, does nothing.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 10:26:11 pm »

Is the task Build Animal Trap?  Carpenters don't do that.  Trappers do.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:50 pm »

Good call about animal trap.

Activate carpentry for every dwarf, just to see what happens.

Check if your carpenter is unhappy, or has the preference "detests logs" or the psych "is very lazy" or the state "He was irritated from working at the hippy carpenter workshop lately".

I really, REALLY don't know what's the problem. Could you have guessed?

When I get this kind of problem, I always end up finding out on my own, by trying everything I know, and then the rest. "Wiki est mon ami".
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.
Pages: [1] 2 3