Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hypothetical Newb Question re: Smelting and Smithing  (Read 523 times)

Snarkophagus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hypothetical Newb Question re: Smelting and Smithing
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:48:22 pm »

So, um.  This is hypothetical because, um, I have this friend, you see, yeah, that's it, that's the ticket, this friend, who doesn't usually need to have his hand held over something so simple.  In point of fact, I have this friend has already found out a lot about smelting, and wood burning, and the related trades.

The problem?  Though I've searched for it, both in game, in the forums, and in Google, I apparently need someone to tell me how to actually build an effing furnace and/or smelter.  I can't find the options anywhere, and I know, the minute someone replies to this and tells me where they are, I'm going to run back to my short bus and cry.  But for now, I give up.  I have a fully functioning fortress... without any metalworkers.  And I just had to kill my weaponsmith because he went insane after not being able to use the workshop he claimed.

Help, por favor?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical Newb Question re: Smelting and Smithing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:51:16 pm »

[b ][e] and that's where they should be.
[b. ][e][w] for a furnace and [b. ][e][s ] for a smelter

I hate bbcode[/s][/b]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:55:12 pm by Darvi »

Snarkophagus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:54:50 pm »

Yep.  Short bus awaits.  We'll just pretend for a minute that I haven't gone through life up to this point thinking there were only two pages to the build menu....

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:59:12 pm »

To answer this kind of question yourself, google "dwarf fortress wiki", search for "smelter",  and note the b-e-s above the little ASCII picture of a smelter.

Snarkophagus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:00:12 pm »

... Thank you for this.  I hadn't noticed that before, and God knows I've spent enough time on the wiki.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:06:52 pm »

Yep.  Short bus awaits.  We'll just pretend for a minute that I haven't gone through life up to this point thinking there were only two pages to the build menu....

I am entertained
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku