Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting rid of a ghost.  (Read 10955 times)

Insert_Name

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting rid of a ghost.
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »

My current fortress has a ghost problem. I reclaimed my fortress, and it appears a recruit from the old military has become a murderous ghost. He has killed the three most important members of my fort, and is still killing more. I have given him a coffin, which says thatit is his tomb despite his body being destroyed, but he is still there. I also can't find his name on the engrave memorial selection. Is there any other way to get rid of him?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of a ghost.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:19:25 pm »

Build a coffin, assign it to him. Your dorfs should quickly find his body and bury him.

Edit: Spot check failure.
How was the body destroyed?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:22:37 pm »

Try deconstructing the tomb and seeing if his name shows up on the engrave slab list.

However, there is a bug where certain dwarves don't show up on the list. If that's the case, you're pretty hosed, sorry. The same thing happened to me in one of my forts.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:23:18 pm »

make a memorial slab, that should put him to rest

Insert_Name

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:25:45 pm »

I don't know how the body was destroyed, I just can't find it in the corpse list. I can't make a memorial slab, because the ghost won't show up on the list. Is there a utility that I could use to get rid of the ghost?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:27:39 pm »

Create a memorial slab at the Mason's shop and engrave it in his memory at the Crafter's shop, then build it like you would a coffin.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Insert_Name

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:29:14 pm »

I can't make a memorial sab for him, because his name won't show up in the list.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 08:37:06 pm »

Go go reading comprehension!

In that case I really have no idea.  Bug it?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:44:27 pm »

Maybe it'll die of old age? I mean, I had a ghost baby that grew up to become a child, so...

Insert_Name

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 08:49:02 pm »

I don't think waiting for it to die would be very practical.

Insert_Name

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 01:30:37 am »

Is there a utiity that can get rid of units that might work?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 04:11:42 am »

None that I know of. It's a big problem with reclaiming fortresses now; there's no way to get rid of ghosts of past citizens as their names will not appear on the list of deceased for engraving the slab, and if your fort fell to a tantrum spiral, they will rise as dangerous ghosts and make life VERY difficult.

Your coffin isn't working because there is no body; it says the tomb is reserved for that dwarf, but until a corpse or skeleton is interred it is not a true resting place and doesn't appease the spirit of the dwarf.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 04:47:12 am »

On a similar but unrelated note, in my last fortress of Throatlabor, gobbos minced some caravan gaurds. They rose as ghosts as i magmadumped the crap left over after the battle. magmaduming a dead dwarf satisfies a ghost and they go away, which is kind of neat.
This is a blank sig.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »

On a similar but unrelated note, in my last fortress of Throatlabor, gobbos minced some caravan gaurds. They rose as ghosts as i magmadumped the crap left over after the battle. magmaduming a dead dwarf satisfies a ghost and they go away, which is kind of neat.

I magmadump all corpses, but still get ghosts, so this hasn't worked for me, at least.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 03:11:54 pm »

oh. as the body of the caravan gaurd hit the magma i got the message "Urist McDeadgaurd has been laid to rest" and they vanished... havent tried it with residents though - might be different for them.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2