Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okay. Have a Dwarf in a Strange Mood asking for A Strange Thing  (Read 1310 times)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Okay. Have a Dwarf in a Strange Mood asking for A Strange Thing
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:28:15 pm »

"I must have rock bars!"
Okay, I assumed he meant blocks, so I made afew, nothing happened, so I thought it would be any normal bar, but when I try to make a bar, it says my smelter doesnt have a reaction to do. I have coal I want to be made into coke, but its not working. The coal is also acsessible by the smelter, what can I do?

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Okay. Have a Dwarf in a Strange Mood asking for A Strange Thing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 04:41:03 pm »

He means metal bars. You need coal or some fuel to make the coal into coke as well :/
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

JacaByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 05:00:33 pm »

What I did when I needed to get my metal industry running for the first time was build a temporary wood furnace, burn a log of wood, and use the resulting, sacred bar of coke to smelt bituminous coal into more coke. Voila, my supply of coke was then limited by the number of smelters and furnace operators I had and how much coal I could dig up.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »

i had a dwarf asking for pictures of a forest and then he died to depression

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

i had a dwarf asking for pictures of a forest and then he died to depression

Should have cut some wood!
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

Usually it's metal, but I think there have been occasions where it isn't. There's something weird about the inorganic materials in .31. If you look in, say, a weapon stockpile's options and then check out the metal options, there are gems and soils listed there.

It seems like it's the 'bar' part that's important, not the 'rock' part.

And oh yeah, get yourself a wood burner (that's probably the problem, but I don't know what error message the smelter is giving). In future, always keep a chunk of fuel locked away (in case you accidentally unforbid it).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:20:02 pm »

The evil rock bar is usually either coke, or charcoal. They need it to melt something for an artifact. If you think about it, coke is a bar made from rock, goes with the odd descriptions they mutter. Glass makers are infamous about needing it, for arti's, since sometimes they will only use a normal glass furnace.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 04:25:18 am »

The evil rock bar is usually either coke, or charcoal. They need it to melt something for an artifact. If you think about it, coke is a bar made from rock, goes with the odd descriptions they mutter. Glass makers are infamous about needing it, for arti's, since sometimes they will only use a normal glass furnace.

Misconception. "Rock bars" requested by a dwarf in a fey mood can always be fulfilled with metal bars. Glassmakers using a glass furnace for an artifact never use a magma glass furnace, and will never need fuel for it, nor will any artifact require fuel to make.

The "rock bars" request is a result of the way inorganic materials are handled in .31.xx, as it changed from how it was done in 40d, I believe.

And as it was said, coal requires existing fuel to be smelted into more fuel. Only wood furnaces can make fuel (charcoal) without existing fuel, so any fuel production must start with at least one log burned at a wood furnace.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 05:03:37 am »

Re the smelter thing, sometimes the options disappear for some reason. I had "make iron/pig iron/steel bars" all disappear from my options list between one job and the next, and there was free flux, limonite and coke in stockpiles right by the smelters. If you know you have the ore available and there's no option in the smelter, add the smelting job via your job manager instead (j-m) and it'll reappear on the smelter's list for next time.

There's a similar issue with soapmaking, which usually (in my experience) has to have the job added from the manager for the first time, then it shows up as an available task at the soapmaker's workshop after that.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.