Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Wheel Of Time RPG Underway + Story (Still Recruiting)  (Read 8812 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Of Time RPG Underway + Story (Still Recruiting)
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2011, 04:28:48 am »

1. Yay Saldea
2. Yeah tower is having you do something that's good for plot. Hmmmm, how about searching for small groups of dragon sworn to gather intel about the recent large numbers of false dragons.  Yeah that sounds good.  Oh and if on Brown ajah heading even better you could be recording history.  Make sure you carry loads of paper, ink, and quills to take notes. Should be some cool RP.  Note RP that uses stuff purely for RP purposes is more likely to incure XP from me if I remember to give it.
3.  I'm thinking WIS too as I think INT affects channeling slots and max weave power level? SO as to make use of both attributes.
4. Quickened embrace sounds fine at this point but I may change prerequisites and specifics after I look it over.  Still I like the Idea and it has book background so I'll probably just add it as is.  Not like it lets you easy mode or anything so it's probably fine.
5.  Old tongue should be good, as long as you are brown ajah track I'll allow it.  I doubt you'll massively use it but hey it's fun :)
6.  As far as a session perhaps sometime Saturday?  Morning is actually better for me.

Secret 7. Hoooo Boy a 4 hp wonder!  Yayifications Also take the healing weaves.  Spoon lost like 7/8 hp from 1 trolloc hit in the test fight.  Or don't take them, that will also amuse me in a different way.  At least they only work once per person per day so you're not gonna be only a healer, plenty of weave slots for other stuff.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2011, 08:45:45 am »

According to some unofficial errata that I somehow got, it should be intelligence instead of wisdom on page 51-52 that determines DC of the save.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 10:24:06 am »

Woohoo, an initiate!

As for RP backgrounds, I'd think that a very likely cause would be you running errands for either a sister or accepted (or both). This doesn't even have to do anything with the main story at all, given your background you could be out compiling knowledge about any one of your fields. Such as investigating which kind of stone was used to build the Cairhienin towers and the unique properties thereof. Would sound just up some silly brown's alley.

Also, invert weave level 4? There's going to have to be a reasoning behind that, it being lost and all.

I think quickened embrace sounds just fine.

And saturday seems good in my schedule, I think. My thursdays to sundays seem to be devoted to mostly self-study and homework, so it should be possible to get a few hours of RP in as well.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 05:39:52 pm »

Ah didn't notice invert weave.  Yeah no starting with lost weaves/affinities.  Cause they are lost. So you don't have them.  You have to learn them from someone who knows them.  That means Forsaken and major characters mostly.  Hypothetically you may learn such later but not now.  Remember it's a book 1 setting so all this stuff is very very lost, forsaken didn't even wake up yet.

This also means no lost talents or weaves at the start.  No Blaefire, no compulsion, no cutting lines of fire, no flying, no healing severing, touch of death, all traveling weaves, distant eye, etc.  You can probably have rare weaves though but limit yourself to 1 of them.  IE Use portal stone or Rend if otherwise allowed I would accept 1 of these. 

You will learn fancy stuff eventually but stuff like inverting weaves is not for newbie accepted.  Also no homebrew weaves at start.  Though I may add some later.

Also miggy's RP idea sounds good. new mini missions per session.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:49:15 pm by neotemplar »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 09:14:14 pm »

Yeah, I didn't take ranks I just put it there so I don't forget it exists. I'll throw a strikethrough in there to make it more clear.

The homebrew stuff I'll ask for on a per-case basis, since about half of it is useful and makes sense in the context of the setting, and the other half is either silly or broken.

As far as Healing I'll definitely take that Talent eventually, until then hopefully we'll get by with Level 0 Heal and my paltry ranks in the heal skill :D

I like the idea of being a bit of a grad student Accepted, having (for some reason) been selected to do learning in the field. I'll work it into my background, and the character as a whole should be done soon.

I work Saturday Morning, but any time after 3 EST should work for me.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 11:48:04 pm »

About 3 EST is probably good for me too.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Of Time RPG Recruiting
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 01:33:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I actually found the errata Demonic Spoon referenced, just punch "unofficial WoT FAQ" into google and its the first hit. It does say that Save DC's are supposed to be based on INT, so apparently WIS is only used to determine additional weaves per day. It also says that, for the Aes Sedai PrC, the prereqs do not require the Sense Residue feat but do require 2 or more Affinities in addition to 2 or more Talents. There is also a table associated with the Heal skill that is missing from the book, and will probably be useful :D

Apparently I don't know how to spell Saldaea. This bodes well.

And to top it off I spent far too much time coming up with a not terribly great name. Maybe inspiration will strike when I write up the background.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 01:53:21 am »

Good pick on heroic surge if unexpected from the channeler.
Also very nice errata find.  Added to my collection.  Lets go with wis = bonus slots and INT for saves. 

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:51 pm »

Background

Char Sheet

Equipment

Well that background ballooned out more than I thought it would, but at least I managed to come up with a better name. If everything looks good to you, it looks good to me. Don't mind me name dropping, I'll just leave this here. And this.

Heroic Surge is pretty sweet- I nearly took Toughness, but I can never pass up extra actions.

We're rollin at 3 EST tomorrow, right? I haven't done much with IRC in the past- I dl'd Chatzilla and did a test run, but if I'm really late check this thread, since this is where I'll post if I'm having issues.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 11:55:32 pm by monk12 »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2011, 04:25:38 pm »

Apparently I'm like Richard from LFG, but more gangsta.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2011, 03:29:02 am »

Why does everyone hate me?  :'(

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2011, 07:00:26 am »

Why does everyone hate me?  :'(

Apparently I'm like Richard from LFG, but more gangsta.

:P

OK, so here's the summary of last night's session:

We start off separated. Jharic makes his way in the wilderness just outside Cairhien, having just slain the trolloc last session. (Possible backstory: Demonicon managed to save Jharic from an accidental swim in the river Gaelin. In return, Jharic accompanied Demonicon until he felt his toh to Demonicon had been repaid. By single-handedly killing the trolloc, saving Demonicon's life in the process, Jharic feels the payment is sufficient.) Demonicon Spoondria Resides in an Inn in Cairhien, where he picks up rumours about dissapearances and a rumour about a buffet in the Cairhienin library. He manages to trick a messenger into carrying a letter to the father of one of the missing without paying the messenger. The messenger returns with a black eye that he got from one of the man's guards. Anya is sent on a task by her Aes Sedai tutor to uncover information about the whereabouts of Cairhienin waygates.

Demonicon goes to the library and is allowed to enter. There, he asks for directions to the buffet from a woman in a fine dress. She seems oddly suspicious, and asks him if he likes ham or steak. Demonicon gleefully answers "both", leaving the woman confused. She hurries out of there, Demonicon none the wiser. He decides to pursue.

Meanwhile, Anya is searching through the library with no direction or idea where to find the information she seeks. Instead of finding information about the cairhienin waygates, she finds countless volumes of the proper organisation, set up and preparation of buffets.

Demonicon follows the woman in the fine dress through the city, leaving the inner city and entering the foregate. He is unheard and unseen by the lady. The lady stops next to a messenger boy with a black eye, the one that Demonicon had tricked before!. Demonicon approaches the pair, intimidating the boy into staying quiet, and asking the woman, once again, where he might find the buffet. The black eyed boy spits on him, and the woman runs away. Demonicon pulls out his bow, but by the time he's capable of committing random slaughter, the woman is in too far into the well packed crowd and he cannot get a shot off. He returns to the library and sits down with a random book, happening to be about ancient myths surrounding Cairhienin waygates.

Anya bumps into Demonicon whilst reading. They exchange words. Demonicon knows where to find the waygate Anya is so eagerly looking for. Anya has spent the day reading about buffet practice (Demonicon barely clears a will save to avoid falling in love with Anya). In return for a favour, Demonicon agrees to show Anya where this waygate may be. They head to the park.

At the outskirts of the city, Jharic is solo-adventuring. Through his hunting of wild game, he manages to get close to the river south of Cairhien. He spots an awkward opening into the river, letting smelly water come out. He hears odd grunts from inside of the opening. He sneaks down to investigate, remaining unheard and unseen. He cannot make out anything in the dark, and he can't specify the source of the noise over the sound of running water. The grate over the opening appears old and rusty though, and Jharic pulls the grate free. This makes a lot of noise, so he runs back a couple of paces and hides where he can spot the opening still. He lies quiet and counts, slowly, to 100.

Demonicon and Anya have managed to find their way to the park, and Demonicon shows Anya a wall with beautiful drawings of vines and leaves on it. Anya recognises this as a gateway, and starts pulling out her parchment. She holds her parchment over sections of the wagate while using chalk to rub over the contours, so she acquires an image of the waygate for future use. In the meantime, a seemingly homeless person spots the two people hanging out at the waygate. Demonicon notices this, exclaims "Darkfriend!" and pulls out his bow. Before anyone can act, he has shot an arrow into the hobo's neck. The man collapses instantly, bleeding from his wound.

Anya is absolutely horrified, demanding explanation from Denomicon. He manages to convince Anya that the man can't possibly be anything but a darkfriend, but she is still determined that he should be brought to a magistrate for justice, rather than simply killing him outright. With Demonicon watching, she makes her way over to the man and uses her skills in the art of healing to stabilize him, saving him from certain death. When the man is stabilized, she calls for the guards, so the hobo can be brought to justice. Upon hearing her call, Demonicon promptly disappears.

Guards arrive and recognise the man immediately: Leroy is his name. Anya explains the situation to the guards, and remarkably they leave her alone, only searching for the short and fat nobleman that apparently punctured Leroy's main artery. Anya assists in the hunt, wanting to get to the bottom of this situation.

Demonicon hides in an old couple's house, despite the couple's protests. He barely evades the guards, but being unable to bluff his way through the old pair's stubborn wills, he leaves soon thereafter..

Not having many places to go, Demonicon remembers that Anya was searching for the waygates, and he did remember a talk about there being a waygate in the sewers, at sometime or other. He decides to search the city for sewer entrances.

In her search for Demonicon, Anya overhears a rumour that there is a waygate in the sewer. She also learns that Leroy, the man she almost assisted in killing, is the sewer overseer. She returns to him, and as compensation for her saving his life from the erratic noble, he gives her a key to the park entrance to the sewers, along with directions thereto.

Demonicon ends his search in the foregate, where he finally finds a rusty but open entrance to the sewers.

Jharic lies in front of the black, smelly hole in hiding. Having nearly completed his count to 100, a trolloc bursts out into the daylight. Being concealed and not emitting a sound, and with the smelly water soiling the air, the trolloc is unable to notice Jharic. Wating only a few seconds to see if the trolloc has friends following, Jharic concludes it is alone and dons his shoufa.

Managing to surprise the trolloc, Jharic scores two powerful stabs before the trolloc can even react to his presence. Caught flat-footed, the trolloc soon finds itself with two serious stabs, nearly killing it outright. In defence it swings back, managing to clip Jharic hard over the back before he manages to dodge out of its way. Jharic's next swing misses the trolloc and blood runs down his back as the trolloc swings oncemore. This time Jharic manages to block with his buckler, and punctures the trollocs chest oncemore. Having sustained too many injuries to remain conscious, the trolloc falls to the ground. Jharic finishes the abomination off and picks up a picture the trolloc had. It is the picture of a small girl, not more than 10 years of age. She is clothed. Jharic runs back again, and proceeds to count to 100, not willing to be surprised by anything that might hide in the smelly darkness.

Anya has in this time managed her way into the dark sewers herself, and with the aid of a magically conjured ball of light she explores them. She passes a corner only to spot two trollocs sitting around a cookpot and a small girl bound nearby. With her illumination picking her out like a star on a cloudless night, a trolloc gets up and starts chasing Anya. Anya runs for her life.

Demonicon explores the sewers with no light, having little luck orientating or picking out anything apart from the sound of a small swarm of rats somewhere. Eventually he makes his way to an exit. As he steps outside, he notices the corpse of a trolloc on the ground.

Jharic immediately jumps from his cover, clutching a dagger and starts grappling onto Demonicon. He was sent over the Dragonwall with a purpose, although not known to him, and now twice this fat treekiller has crossed his path, twice accompanied in some form by trollocs. Jharic intends to get to the bottom of his.
Twice he attempts to grapple the little cairhienin without managing to get a hold around his copious corpus. Demonicon stumbles a short way away from Jharic, screaming "I am not your enemy!"...

Inside of the sewers, Anya dodges past a corner and snuffs her light, running as fast as she can in the darkness. Soon she can no longer hear the trolloc chasing after her, although she is now lost in the sewers in the dark...

And this is where the session ended because we got tired. :P Jharic has 3 HP left out of 10, with the other two at full HP (8 and 4 respectively) Jharic managed to net himself an additional 50 exp from slaying the trolloc, while Anya and Demonicon earned 10 each for roleplaying
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:10:20 am by Miggy »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2011, 10:25:31 am »

Fixed that for you.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:28:19 am by Demonic Spoon »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2011, 03:02:14 pm »

Wow this actually sounds like I'm not entirely improving everything!

Still i got some good stuff to run with.  Including like 5 potential reoccurring NPCs.  Hilariously no one has made any real money.  Maybe I'll add some loot goods to the trolloc camp or something, if I remember, if you guys arn't forced to abandon the little girl. :P Actually even if you are forced to heal I can extend this, but you probably will find things just as difficult. :)

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2011, 03:34:56 pm »

Wow this actually sounds like I'm not entirely improving everything!

Huh? ???

Still i got some good stuff to run with.  Including like 5 potential reoccurring NPCs.  Hilariously no one has made any real money.  Maybe I'll add some loot goods to the trolloc camp or something, if I remember, if you guys arn't forced to abandon the little girl. :P Actually even if you are forced to heal I can extend this, but you probably will find things just as difficult. :)

Even assuming we can somehow find our way into the trolloc's den again, I have 3 HP left and 10 HP max. I don't think I'd be able to kill both trollocs even at full health, and with Spoon and Monk aiding me... Uhh. I'm not sure if Monk even have any spells he can use offensively, and Spoon would be better off staying back and shooting with his bow.

And not to mention, I won't get full health just like that. Monk can heal one of my hit points to subdual damage, if he manages to run out the "right" exit and make peace with both me and spoon, but what use is that when that only means I can heal two of 'em pr. day. Maybe I could try and roll a Hardiness check to give me 8 hours worth of rest, but that would only net me like 1 or 2 HP, still well within Trolloc one-shot territory.

No, I think we're going to have to try and trick the trollocs rather than just pummel them to death like we(I)'ve been doing all along.

EDIT: Looking through Monk's spell list, I've got just the plan... Assuming of course we can get to a point where we can work together. ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:42:35 pm by Miggy »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6