Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Wheel Of Time RPG Underway + Story (Still Recruiting)  (Read 8806 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Wheel Of Time RPG Underway + Story (Still Recruiting)
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:56:59 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_Roleplaying_Game

I'm considering attempting to GM this game, albeit with my poor serious GM ability, if anyone is interested in playing.  I think I'd need about three players and I don't want more than five to keep it simple.  At least one player should be a channeler.

Let me know if you're interested in playing.  Also massive bonus if you can help me understand the game rules properly or have experience with this format of game.

Expect wonky but amusing adventures with rules being modified as I learn I was using them wrong.

Probable medium for play would be IRC unless someone gives me a better option.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:34:17 pm by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Of Time RPG
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »

Neat idea. Should be in the Forum Games and Roleplaying section, though, since this apparently isn't a vidyagame.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel Of Time RPG Recruiting
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:10:06 am »

I might possibly be interested in this, although I've never played anything like this before. I am however a massive fan of "the wheel of time". :D

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:13:21 am »

I'm interested

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:31:56 am »

Where can I get the rulebook?  ???

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:39:27 am »

My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 05:06:53 pm »

Ok, looks like there's some actual interest.  I happen to have a physical copy of the rule book from when I was a kid, feel free to source one for yourselves if necessary.

Here is a teaser of available classes:
Algai'd'siswai (this is the Aiel class, expect short spears, endurance running, not knowing how to ride a horse, and extreme penalties for sword use.)

Armsman (this is the fighter class, aka loads of feats and using heavy armor)

Initiate (This is the basic channeler class, aka White tower novices/accepted, wise one trainees, sea folk windfinder trainees.  These will get pasted in close combat but the group probably should have one with healing skills because the Wheel of Time has no heal potions!)  (also they will need to follow directives passed to them from the higher ups)

Noble (You get a ton of starting cash, command skills to help allies, can call in favors as one time benefits gained every two levels, this is the high charisma talker class)

Wanderer (This is as close to a thief class as the game allows, massive skill points and skill options but somewhat anemic in combat) (they get sneak attack of course)

Wilder (a channeler that is on their own, no need to follow orders from higherups but you have an emotional block that restricts channeling. These have more low level channeling slots than initiates but fewer high level slots) (they also get more hit points than initiates due to country living)

Woodsman (This is a fighter with less feats but more skills. Bonuses for fighting in certain natural environments)

There are also prestige classes. I will explain these shortly.

My current plan is to have the group wander about trying to make money for awhile till I get a handle on how to run the mechanics of the game.  Aka treasure hunting and bandit fighting. Also expect to do stuff both out in the wilderness and in town since I want to do both.
After I get things running smoothly I'll present some more plot line related stuff.

Also when do you all want to set the time line for this? I'm open to whenever and we can always use the world portals to time shift to hit other time lines if desired.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:11:11 pm by neotemplar »

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 05:59:04 pm »

I'm pretty free as to whichever timeline it is in, although we should probably naturally do it sometime after the breaking. Otherwise things such as Aiel, Aes Sedai and possibly wilder won't make much sense.

EDIT: And I've done some looking up on the WOT wiki myself for the game. :P I'm totally loving the idea of being a river-frightened Algai'd'siswai, although of course... Who wouldn't?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:16:34 pm by Miggy »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:50:44 pm »

Prestige classes

Aes Sedai
Asha'man
Blademaster
Commander
Gleeman
Thief-Taker
Warder
Windfinder
Wise One
Wolf Brother (No Aiel as no wolves in their environment)

Also not that male channelers do go insane if the source is not yet cleansed. FYI

National Background
Aiel
Sea Folk
Borderlander
Cairhienin
Domani
Ebou Dar
Illian
Midlander
Tairen
Tar Valoner
Tarabon

If I or someone else can find the web bonus rules for Seanchan you can also be one of those.

Special background
OGIER
You can be one but keep in mind it will not be channeling and several prestige classes just don't come close to working.  However tree singing is a possibility.

It might be good to place the time line a bit prior to the events in the books, just as a run up period to start in.

Also if you locate a version of the rulebook start generating your characters and post them here for me to review.  As long as it's within the rules I'll allow most things but don't get crazy about it.  Be sure to ask me before building around any of the lost ability feats.  I will likely allow them but I want to be cautious about it. Same goes for channelers, don't go thinking you can start with balefire or something (you wouldn't even be able to cast it anyway so early on).  Try to make reasonable characters fit for role playing.

Also I'll be on irc newnet.net  #WOT to discuss things periodically tonight.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 06:54:09 pm by neotemplar »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 07:20:51 pm »

Oh man, I really like WOT. Could I be an Asha'man? I could go all false dragon on this shit!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

Ashaman is definitely possible.  Once you do some levels and missions as a soldier first.  IE Male channeler initiate or wilder goes to Ashaman prestige class later.  If I recall correctly they can intimidate massively. 

Also the insanity table is fun :)

Also I fully expect characters to die somewhat as I don't know what I'm doing with power balance.  After we gain a few levels I'll probably just let you spawn new people at the previous character's level (if that's cool with everyone?) as resurrection is not very WOT but recruiting new people at party level is fine.  It would mostly penalize the death with loss of goods/property/fun items.

I suggest checking the book to see what start classes meld well.  For example wanderer is going to jump easily into gleeman (who at highest level can essentially use compulsion via music aka Gleemen are awesome). Another point is that no one is gonna be a Warder Without and Aes Sedi in the party so keep that in mind.  Also you need a wilderness background to do wolfbrother.  For Ogier the most legit classes are wanderer and lesser woodsman.  Just look at the guide and make reasonable suggestions, I don't want to see any Ogier nobles for example. 
Exception! You can totally have a wetlander Algai'd'siswai if you background the character correctly.

Also I will point out that woodsmen can train animals.  And if we find some decent seanchan rules training those animals is possible if not easy.

But really so long as it makes sense with the books it'll probably be fine with me.  I think using stuff like old blood and sniffer would be pretty cool.  I'll consider allowing viewing (like Min does) but foretelling is just a GM nightmare.  Dreamwalking will likely not be allowed at the start but could be picked up later.  Perhaps all feats with latent prerequisites would need to start the game with latency and then achieve the full fledged feat later on.

Mod: Another option aside from irc is to do this with voice chat.  I do have a microphone.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:11:00 pm by neotemplar »

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:33 am »

Any tips as to how to acquire a roolbook? Should I see if I can find it in a library, or is there an easy websource to get it from?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 02:11:04 pm »

Should we use dice rolls or point buy for atributes or standard score package for our characters?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 02:16:20 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 03:20:25 pm »

I won't be able to get a rulebook so there is no way I could play. Sorry. I will watch, though!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 03:50:02 pm »

Should we use dice rolls or point buy for atributes or standard score package for our characters?

Good question.  I'll take a quick look at the rules and come up with an answer.

Ok use the point buy system.  Just to avoid any issues of fairness or allegedly cheated rolls and because it allows more freedom of choice.

Also as far as the rule book I'm sure there is a pdf version floating around online somewhere.

I will be on irc again irc.newnet.net #WOT

Ask me there if you really need help rulebook locating and to discuss character creation.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:59:38 pm by neotemplar »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6