Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saved Games & Migrants!  (Read 669 times)

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Saved Games & Migrants!
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:18:23 pm »

So it seems every time I play a saved game, I don't get my latest save.  I'm using the Lazy Newb pack.  Which saved game is the newest?  The top of the list, the bottom of the list, or what?  The games saves each seasonal change and if I save again between seasons I cannot find that save.

>:( MIGRANTS. >:(

I'm in year 252 (might have just gone 253..) and have had 4 or 5 waves of them.  I went from 7 to 13 which was fine.  Then 34 then 66 and now 97.  This seems a bit excessive.  Is there a way to slow down the amount and frequency of them? (for the next game)

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saved Games & Migrants!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »

I've never made backups of games in progress, so I have no idea how that works.

As I understand it, migration is driven (possibly with some randomization) by the amount of wealth your fortress creates, the amount of wealth it exports, and (inversely) the number of deaths. If you want fewer immigrants, you could try to minimize the wealth of the fort (don't open the caverns so that you won't be able to make as many artifacts/allow moody dwarves to die rather than complete their artifacts) or brutally murder some of the unwanted immigrants.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 04:46:51 pm »

With seasonal backups, and generally with any save, your very first save is called "region1"(or 2 or 3 or whatever number the world is), when the game makes a seasonal backup, a new save is created, for all intents and purposes, we'll say it's region1-aut-203, which would make that save in autumn of year 203, now, when you quit and save, your save will still be saved to the original region1, UNLESS you load the game under a different save, such as starting the game and loading the above mentioned save, then when you quit and save the game would be saved to that.

Man, all this seems like a huge loop around, but basically, if you turn on seasonal saving, you should try to always be loading region1, or else you will start getting saves along the lines of "region1-aut-203-sum-205-spr-208". heh

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »

And I'm pretty sure it's always the top of the list is the most recent save.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:15:35 pm »

in the data/init/d_init  file, there are max population settings, and you can change that before each load of the game to have *some* kind of control of when.

If you have never switched files.  It will always be the one without a season/date appended onto the end.
It re-uses the same file/folder each time
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:17:28 pm by Schmlok »

KVC627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:52:30 pm »

I still don't seem to get the last save.

My current load screen looks like this:
Samamoltar     ,   Dwarf Frotress                               Ushul Tharith 251
Folder:  Region 1
Samamoltar     ,   Dwarf Frotress                               Ushul Tharith 251
Folder: Region1-spr251
Folder: Region1-sum251
Samamoltar     ,   Dwarf Frotress                               Ushul Tharith 252
Folder: Region1-sum251-aut-spr252
Folder: Region1-sum251-aut-win 251
Samamoltar     ,   Dwarf Frotress                               Ushul Tharith 253
Folder: Region1-sum251-aut-251

Choosing Region 1 (the top of the list) gets me to my first save, where I have a few things dug out, but not much.
Choosing the bottom gets me the last automatic save, not my last save. (I know this because a wall I finished isn't  done on this save. 
The middle saves are seasonal saves in order.  Its the last save which should be the current save but isn't.  I'm going to turn off the seasonal save in the .ini for the next game.

My Fort just got beaten up by Yilo Masamisalo Enasaro, Mountain Titan (A hugh feathered serpent it has wings and it has a regal bearing. Beware its webs).  This thing walked/flew over all my traps and killed 10 dwarfs and I don't know how many war dogs. (at least 10).   I never saw any webs, but it grabbed a couple of dwarfs and pulled them under water, letting the bleed to death under water.  I didn't have a military, but my trusty hunter finally showed up and killed it.

The weird thing was, my hunter was assigned 2 war dogs and 2 hunting dogs.  All of them fought the titan, but the war dogs died, while the hunting dogs are fine.  Are Hunting dogs stronger that War dogs?  I keep war dogs chained at my entrances and they all got wiped out by this titan.

Also I wanted to butcher the corpse, but it was rotted as soon as my hunter killed it.  While looking a the description of the beast during it's rampage it listed Dented as wounds. (dented left wing) so I though it might have been made of metal or something, but it wouldn't allow me to melt it either.

I guess I have to go build a bunch of coffins and slabs now.

Thanks for the replies!

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:54:03 pm »

I'm not sure your most recent save is listed there, then. What happens when you revert to an old auto-save usually is it will save as that file. So if you load the save (for example) Region1-spr101 and start playing from that save, the game will begin to autosave as Region1-spr101-[season-year]. This gets extremely confusing, needless to say. When I am forced to revert to an earlier save, I manually go change the name of that save directory to Region X as opposed to the one with the season/date info, erasing or backing up the current one. It makes things a lot less confusing.

Also, make sure you don't have a second page of saves. It could be hiding on another page.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »

I'm going to turn off the seasonal save in the .ini for the next game.
Keep the yearly save on though, it's very useful to have in case of game-breaking bugs.

You might be able to do something by going into the actual Windows folder containing all your saves, and putting them in date order. If you haven't been going through the saves one by one looking for the most recent, then the dates should be as they were when the save was originally made. If you have, ehh, at least you can see more saves in a Windows window than the DF window.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:22:52 pm »

I've also heard that the amount of migrants is also determined by how much you've mined out.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:30:01 am »

Yeah, don't open a different seasonal unless you have to, I see one in there that SHOULD be it, the aut-spring 252, but another has a 253 date.

You either should just pick one and go, or restart.