Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So steel is the best thing* for armor, right?  (Read 1737 times)

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So steel is the best thing* for armor, right?
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:27:54 am »

*that I can reasonably obtain. Not going to go looking for adamantine, but hey if I come across some I'll use that.

I (think I) know the weapons vary, like how silver is best for warhammers, and steel (or maybe iron?) is better for the stabby shooshy weapons like swords and spears.

Am I looking at this correctly?

Also while I am at it, how "broken" is the hospital still? I've heard it's abysmal, but then I heard it was mostly fixed, but then I heard something else. Agh. So many conflicting points. I suppose I may as well set one up, but it's all just so confusing!

(I haven't played since 31.04 was released, and I have also forgotten like nearly everything, and it is probably showing)

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So steel is the best thing* for armor, right?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:30:13 am »

Haven't had any trouble with hospitals. Cast making is somewhat bugged but works.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:31:14 am »

Alright, that is certainly a big step up from what I've been reading on the matter.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:40:47 am »

You have the right of it. But lately I've been hearing a lot about how the bronzes are better for "stabby shooshy weapons" than iron.

Hospitals are working much better than they used to. Only trouble I've seen - the cast materials don't auto-stock like they should, and if all the cast-powder isn't in a hospital it gets... annoying. Same with soap, I think.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:53:51 am »

bronze (and sometimes copper) got the edge over iron because they are denser, but not by a very large margin. Generally iron is best reserved for steel anyway, so my priority goes like this copper -> bronze -> steel

As for hospital, it seem to be working fine except for crutch
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:01:18 am »

Well you still get the odd dwarf who won't stop resting injuries despite everything having healed fine. The cast bug can be worked around easiest by just never making casts and using splints instead.
As for the armor, yes steel is the best excluding adamantine. For edged weapons (anything but maces and hammers) the same.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:15:52 am »

Well you still get the odd dwarf who won't stop resting injuries despite everything having healed fine. The cast bug can be worked around easiest by just never making casts and using splints instead.
As for the armor, yes steel is the best excluding adamantine. For edged weapons (anything but maces and hammers) the same.

i have 5 of these how to i get them out?  most of my marks are in there

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:49:32 am »

i have 5 of these how to i get them out?  most of my marks are in there
If they have all been well treated yet refuse to leave the hospital in a year or so, drop a ceiling to their face and hope that they'd reincarnate into the next immigration wave.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 01:59:14 pm »

if you don't give a shit about realism then for you shields you want the lightest possible material because as of yet what the shield is made of doesn't seem to matter form what i'm told so the only better/worse in that area is weight as it will slow your dwarves to haul iron shields where leather is really light. though for immersion i don't have my fortress guards with their steel armor going about with iron shields because they are easier to make and weigh the same.

if you want a really good reason not to cheep out on your shields keep in mind that with the coming war arc it's likely shields being damaged when blocking is on the agenda so material will do more then weigh down your dwarves.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 03:02:36 pm »

I use the below setup I got from someone on this board and it works good. I also do not ever make or buy gypsum for casts and just use splints....

Code: [Select]
BTBTB
R+R+R
BTBTB
(B = bed, T = table, R = Traction Bench, + = Floor (could be bed too))

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 03:08:15 pm »

Shield material matters whenever a dwarf decides to bash someone with it.
For the dwarfs who won't leave the hospital i have about a 50% success rate with making them drop two z-levels to break some bones, usually once the new injuries are treated they recover (sometimes they die from the drop tho). If they have motor nerve damage to the legs (or are missing parts of the feet/legs, ie left foot dented etc.) it's normally pointless to try tho, even if you mod nerves to heal as severed nerves won't heal no matter what and missing tendons don't grow back.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »

Hospitals will attempt to overstock every item until all containers are full in the zone.

It may just be easier to make stockpiles for the necessary items in the hospital.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 08:42:08 pm »

Hospitals will attempt to overstock every item until all containers are full in the zone.

but, this isn't a problem in any way whatsoever (unless you have adamantine thread just lying around).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »

but, this isn't a problem in any way whatsoever (unless you have adamantine thread just lying around).

Yeah I was going to say this sounds like more of a good thing.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 04:29:05 am »

It can be... until my cloth industry suddenly cries out in pain from a lack of thread, due to the hospital having claimed 200,000 units of it.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: [1] 2