Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Taming/breeding Invaders mounts? [31.18]  (Read 4946 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Taming/breeding Invaders mounts? [31.18]
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:12:02 am »

So I was besieged by Giant Toad mounted Goblins.

Nothing new there, but this time around I caught a couple of the Toads in cages.  Can I tame them?

They're currently listed as INVADER so I assume not... but are they like !!annihilated!! Merchant's caged animals in that after some time their tag goes off and they become available for dwarven use?

Or, if that doesn't work, if I have a pair are they likely to breed? 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:18:25 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming/breeding Invaders mounts? [31.18]
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 06:12:21 am »

Are you sure they don't have goblins on them?
Though my guess it's impossible. They're enemies of your civ so if you could they should have triggered loyalty cascade.
I once had goblin jump of his mount (maybe he dodged of when my drafted civies tried to punch him) his crocodile went toppling slabs and rider went for civilians.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 06:36:35 am »

I could be wrong, but though they aren't tameable, they're still possibly able breed. Just... Not while in cages. I say they'd be treated as any other hostile animals, ie; wolves, giant lions, etc. and would still breed if they remain on the map long enough.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:49:03 pm »

They'll breed and instantly slaughter the resulting tame offspring.  If you want to keep them, you might want to set Giant Toads to have massive litters so the children will swarm their parents.

Man, this game makes people think of morbid things.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:57:50 pm »

They'll breed and instantly slaughter the resulting tame offspring.  If you want to keep them, you might want to set Giant Toads to have massive litters so the children will swarm their parents.

Oh, my gosh.
Why do I play this game?
At times, it gets more violent then like, i dunno, genericshooter2

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 02:04:06 pm »

Are you sure they don't have goblins on them?
Though my guess it's impossible. They're enemies of your civ so if you could they should have triggered loyalty cascade.
I once had goblin jump of his mount (maybe he dodged of when my drafted civies tried to punch him) his crocodile went toppling slabs and rider went for civilians.
It isn't possible for the goblins to be on them when they get caught, because the cage traps cage the mount first and the rider falls off and starts moving again, probably getting caught by another trap.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:07:13 pm »

Wouldn't it be lovely to see the gobbos come back and face their once friendly rides?

Gobbo1: Death to the Dwar- Hey its Spot!!!Come here boy!!
Gobbo2: AWWWW! All of our rides survived!!!
Gobbo Leader: Hey guys, look who i found!! its Wagg-ARGHHH!!!
Gobbo1: No spot!!! no!!!! Heal!!!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »

Can you chain wild animals if they can be attached to the chain before the dwarf realises it's handling a wild animal?

If so, chaining the females and running water past them and down a one-level drop would sweep the tame newborns away. Not sure if it would be quick enough to save all of them plus the mother, given the size of giant toad litters.

Modding them to have huge litters (like, a dozen per captured toad) would probably be the best bet. You want to end up with at least one tame toad of each sex, right?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:03:10 pm »

Can you chain wild animals if they can be attached to the chain before the dwarf realises it's handling a wild animal?
You can, but it's difficult.  I have a breeding operation going on with wild sea serpents chained up in breeding pits, so I can separate the children from the parents and cage them separately.  To do this I had to build the cage containing the creature right next to the chain.  About half the time the dwarf would transfer the creature before becoming frightened by it and running away.  I then had to immediately open a floodgate to prevent the breeder from air-drowning.

To separate the children, I have a nearby window with a floodgate hiding a dog on a chain behind it.   When there are children, I open the floodgate.  The mother can't move, being chained, but the children flee from the dog and swim down a corridor lines with cage traps.  In the case of the hostile invader creature giving birth, it might be enough to have her chained and hope the children are smart enough to run away from something attacking them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 03:04:42 pm »

Mod them to have huge litters to provide a surviving tame member of both sexes; realize your toads are inbred a few generations later.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 03:15:09 pm »

THat's the Fun part.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 03:40:27 pm »

Are creatures born on your map always tame?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 03:54:34 pm »

Are creatures born on your map always tame?
I'd like to know that too.

Also, what's the point of breeding Toad mounts.  Your dwarves still can't ride them, right?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 04:24:55 pm »

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you let frogs of both sexes loose (in an area they can't escape from, so your dwarves don't get hurt), they will mate. Just re-cage them after that and eventually the female will have the offspring - from her cage. She won't be able to harm the tadpoles (?) and you can the do whatever you want with them.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 05:06:40 pm »

I'm sure you can tame Toads into war animals.
I mean, come on, whats worse, cute furry dogs in armor, or toads, with their unseeing eyes just staring into the horizon, their skin blotchy, and covered in blood and innards?
Pages: [1] 2