Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Figuring out tree species pre-embark  (Read 471 times)

Angelarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Figuring out tree species pre-embark
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:13:04 am »

Hey I'm trying to find oaks and maples for their better wood quality but I'm having difficulty finding them because I can only view the biome, is there any way to view the species of trees that are actually in an area?  (The temperature in the biomes I've searched was warm but the biome was temperate if that makes a difference)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Figuring out tree species pre-embark
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:16:49 am »

You want temperate broadleaf forests, as those are the ones that have oak trees.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Angelarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:18:33 am »

Yes I know but I'm having difficulty finding the trees actually being there because there is only a chance of them being there.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:33:53 am »

trees are always guaranteed. Even if they arent there now they'll grow up eventually. On a side note all trees have the same value of 1
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Angelarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:37:01 am »

So all the trees within a biome are guaranteed even if I don't see any saplings of an Oak or Maple?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 01:39:28 am »

That's correct. Unless of course, you embarked at the wrong biome. Trample current saplings and hope for the best.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.