Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Man Ambush  (Read 2556 times)

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old Man Ambush
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »

I would have never seen it coming.
It was my adventurer's first quest. The camp was a little ways away from the closest town I could find, so I got up at dawn and started heading there as soon as I could.

I was pretty sure that I wouldn't make time before night fall and get attacked by bogeymen on my way back. Instead, they ambushed me a good number of map tiles away from the actual camp.

Within the first turn, their human swordsman leader (the one I was tasked with killing) up and dies of old age.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BTW, his last name translates to "Honestquests."

EDIT: The following turn, one of their axemen engages a groundhog by picking it up and shaking it around by the tail until the tail rips off.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:40:14 pm by Adramelech »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Old Man Ambush
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »

Man, talk about bad timing with Death on when his hourglass of life should run out.

Leader: Tell them... *Wheeze* it was... *Hack* the Spells of Cour... *Gag* tesy... *Deep breath* if you live! *HACK HACK*
You: Oh sna-
Leader: ARGBARBLE *Dies*
You: Err...
Death: Muma Kasatakul, your ti-
Leader: DAMMIT, DEATH, I WAS BUSY!

That's interesting. I never knew people would continue to stay with their group until death of old age. You'd consider them retiring or at least quitting from the leader's position by the time they realize their breaths are getting harder to take. Also, he must have been pretty good to survive until death without having his head cut off.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 11:43:21 pm »

^I don't think old age actually affect anything until the moment it kills you.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:01:19 am »

GET OFF MAH LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS! YOU PASS THROUGH LAND THAT BELONGS TO THE SPELLS OF COURTESY AND YOU WILL- *heat attack*

i think I yelled too much. *Dies*

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:54:05 am »

GET OFF MAH LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS! YOU PASS THROUGH LAND THAT BELONGS TO THE SPELLS OF COURTESY AND YOU WILL- *heat attack*

i think I yelled too much. *Mumu has melted*

Dang talk about turning the internal clock several weeks ahead.
This means your so powerful you don't need to even be in next to the same tile to kill someone.
Better walk away before  ghost bruce lee comes from the shadows and kills you.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:24:53 pm »

That combat log tells that the situation is otherwise quite interesting.

First, our hero picks up a craploaf of clay and stuffs it into his backpack. Then a random fisherman stands up. Because he is a hero, he shows how it's done and stands up like a boss. Two random bandits pop up and shout something. The other dies of old age and other shakes tail off from groundhog.

WELCOME TO DF.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 12:49:51 pm »

Got something like that before.
A gobbo leader was killing my men like crazy when he rounded on me. Just as he was about to kill me,

Gobbo Leader Has Died Of Old Age!

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 01:04:16 pm »

A gobbo leader was killing my men like crazy when he rounded on me. Just as he was about to kill me,

All that excitment must have gave him a heart attack, Poor old bastard.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 07:47:46 pm »

I have had that happen quite a few times before.  One time it was a named wolf.  Always funny when it happens.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 08:52:50 pm »

Gobbo leaders are immortal though, meaning they can't die of old age...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:00:37 pm »

If you think this concept is interesting you should check out the novels Interesting Times and The Last Hero (both part of the "Discworld" series of novels by Terry Pratchett), both of these books have plots that revolve heavily around the exploits of a group of elderly barbarian warriors called "The Silver Horde"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις