Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dealing With Goblin prisoners  (Read 1363 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing With Goblin prisoners
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:08:12 pm »

Haveing just completed my first goblin attack, With the loss of my untrained millitary, Animals and Dwarf who sat in my kill room ((Used to kill useless dwarfs))

Some goblins have been trapped in my cages, Now what exactly do I do with them, How do I move them and place them some where.... What exactly can I do with them?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing With Goblin prisoners
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:12:23 pm »

Well, my favorite method is building the cage, under the 'b' menu, with 'j' for cage.

Then press 'x' to expand the menu, and scroll to build a cage with a goblin in it.

From there, you can attach a lever to it with some mechanisms to open the cage remotely.

Or, you can just assign the goblins to a chain and have them fight that way, or assign them to a pit and have them tossed down a pit.

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:23:12 pm »

I like building a long corridor filled with a dozen or so traps. I'll set the goblin prisoner up on one end and a door to the outside world on the other. If the goblin (or whatever) can make it through alive they're allowed to live to see another day. Only one goblin had actually managed this feat over a forts near 10 year span. Though, I have to admit, by the time he managed to reach the opposite end of the corridor he didn't resemble much of a goblin anymore.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:31:00 pm »

Suddenly I was hit by insperations for some of my cages, My manger may get what he deserves

Now hte question is, Do I finish the Deed, Or allow him to live by his reselnce from my death chamber?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »

Why waste precious gobbo lives?
Drop em into a arena and then unleash hell with marksdwarves. It trains them and adds decor to that unfashionable arena! ;D

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:39 pm »

I personally prefer to just let them wrestle the dragon.

You may need a dragon for that, though. Disarming the goblins and then unleashing your military on them with training weapons is always entertaining. Doubly so if some creative being created an artifact warhammer from that ridiculously-low-density material. If you leave the prisoners with armour the executioner might pass out before they do... I'll have to try that some day.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:55 pm »

I like building a long corridor filled with a dozen or so traps. I'll set the goblin prisoner up on one end and a door to the outside world on the other. If the goblin (or whatever) can make it through alive they're allowed to live to see another day. Only one goblin had actually managed this feat over a forts near 10 year span. Though, I have to admit, by the time he managed to reach the opposite end of the corridor he didn't resemble much of a goblin anymore.

I don't know if invaders are randomly generated or if they come form some 'pool' of enemies, but if it was the latter it would be awesome to have that mangled guy show up in a later attack to claim revenge.

-MB

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:33:15 pm »

I don't know if invaders are randomly generated or if they come form some 'pool' of enemies, but if it was the latter it would be awesome to have that mangled guy show up in a later attack to claim revenge.

-MB
new goblins are randomly generated but if they survive and leave the map they'd come back eventually.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:38:00 pm »

rephical, does that mean, if you capture the goblin leader, in a cage trap, and then release him somehow, he will return with new cannon fodder everytime?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:39:07 pm »

I was under the understanding that once a unit (goblin?) leaves your screen it loses its place in the outside world/legends mode, or something like that.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:50:24 pm »

Well, Didn't quiet work out. I forgot to lock the door the goblnis escaped, So I got pre occupied and iddn't notice I had no one cleaning the food, They started a tantrum spiral so I assigned a burrow in my death chamber and moved everyoen in and killed them all a few tantruming people and my mechanic were left then goblins invaded and killed them

I like to think those who escaped warned there breatheren so they came for revenge.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 12:19:16 am »

rephical, does that mean, if you capture the goblin leader, in a cage trap, and then release him somehow, he will return with new cannon fodder everytime?
Maybe not every time but yes he will be back. On that note, common goblins who escape usually get promoted to squad leader when they return and they remember location of the traps their old mates have triggered also.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 12:23:41 am »

If you've got the caverns open, a humane(ish), honourable(ish) and eminently practical solution suggests itself. Drop the goblins into the caverns, with their weapons and armour, and let them earn their freedom by killing off a few of the nasties lurking down there.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 12:25:05 am »

Well if they come back that is awesome, release injured (and perhaps named at that point..) gobbos into the wild to see them another day, if their injuries were severe enough (or they had a name and you recall it) then you may see them again.

I may have to try that.

-MB

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 02:47:23 am »

A firing squad room with a pit in the ceiling is easy to make, and combined with wooden bolts is good for a lot of experience in a short time with limited hassle. It also gives you confidence that the marksdwarves will actually shoot stuff, so you won't find out that they don't on live enemies.

Works without the hassle of cages and levers on non-thief humanoids. I don't know why, but goblin thieves seem to escape unless I do the cage method.
Pages: [1] 2