Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Up/Down stairs turn into Down stairs at random. :S  (Read 357 times)

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Up/Down stairs turn into Down stairs at random. :S
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »

So I'm building this fort purely out of Dolomite in a black sand desert. Got some staircases runnning down into the rock layers in the middle of it. (see design below) - Twice during the game so far has a Z level of stairs turned randomly into Down stairs, giving me loads of cancelled jobs and general dorf grief !!FUN!!.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it if at all?

Code: [Select]

# being floor, X being updown stairs and W being a natural wall. (These are built dolomite stairs in black sand terrain if it has anything to do with the strange behaviour)
#X#
XWX
#X#
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Up/Down stairs turn into Down stairs at random. :S
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:11:09 pm »

When you use the Designate command, press 'z' for Remove Up Stairs/Ramps, and select an area that happens to include a mined up/down stair (as opposed to a constructed one), it will (eventually) turn the up/down stair into a down stair.

To avoid this, look out for mined up/down stairs when mass designating ramps to be removed.  Or build over the down stair with a constructed up/down stair.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:13:58 pm »

Did you accidentally floor over the level above? Constructed floors on the upper level will interrupt a two-story up/down staircase, turning the upper level into up-only stairs and the lower level into down-only stairs.
Never pet a burning dog.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:38 am »

Ahhh so that's what's been happening. I've been too buzy mass removing ramps in my moat to notice that the central staircase was marked as well. :-[
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>