Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can`t rebuild stairways. Can`t destroy them.  (Read 449 times)

Kesc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can`t rebuild stairways. Can`t destroy them.
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:34:57 pm »

I built 1x3 downward stairways and downstairs, 1x3 upward stairways. Well, something went wrong and look at this...
Terrain
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
B1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
See the screwed downward stairway in B1? Yeah, they`re fuck*d..
When I try destroying the building(d>n) nothing happens. When I try to build a up/down stairway on B1, nothing happens. When I try upward stairway, downward stairway, ramp... Nothing happens!

Well guys... What should I do? :'(

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
Re: Can`t rebuild stairways. Can`t destroy them.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:42:11 pm »

Digging stairways out of rock doesn't count as a construction as you've merely carved out the land so it fits the shape you so desire.  Should you build an upward or down/up stairway from rock it will be destroyable in the [d]>>[n] option.  Your ways of getting rid of the downward stairs are thus:

Build a floor to remove the downward hole.  [b*]>>[C]>>[f]  (note that [C] is [shift]+[c])
Build an upwards stairway, removing the downward hole (like blocking it with a floor) and adding upwards movement.  [b*]>>[C]>>[u*]
Build a down/up stairway.  [b*]>>[C]>>[i*]

Edit: * (asterisk) added to prevent html bold text or underlined text or italicised text commands.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:01:51 pm by BuGGaTon »
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:42:28 pm »

Did you create these staircases by designating a space as a downward or up/down staircase (by pressing 'd', then 'u', 'j', or 'i'?  If so, then these are not buildings.  They're carved-out terrain.  You can use the 'Remove up stair/ramp' designation to get rid of up stairs or to turn up/down stairs into down stairs, but you can't designate an up or up/down stair on that spot.  To make those stairs into working up or up/down stairs, you need to use the build menu.  Press 'b', then 'C', then 'u' or 'x'.  Place the stair, and select some rock, and presently a dwarf with the Mason skill will come along and make stairs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kesc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:58:24 pm »

It worked! :D Thanks!

Dialock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:24:25 pm »

Just as an aside, when building up/down stairs through designations I've found the little buggers get ahead of themselves and screw up the stairs.  Designating the down part and having it completed before designating the up portion saves me from from bathing them in magma.