Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas on how to make the dwarven caravan leave early, and intact  (Read 824 times)

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile

I'm trying to get upgraded to a county so I'm using the "Draft the Mayor" trick to keep him busy. Problem is, he's kind of stupid and i fear he'll dehydrate himself to death, waterskin and all. I've done all the trading I want with the caravan and so I want to get them to leave asap and talk to the diplomat.
Any hints on how I can do this, without deconstructing the depot so that the caravan leaves intact? I'm also pretty sure there's a siege on the way so the walling them in with me and waiting for the gobbos to run themselves ragged against my traps will likely cause them to go insane.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas on how to make the dwarven caravan leave early, and intact
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:13:35 pm »

Can't you just seize some low value item, for the elves that or offering wood always makes them leave instantly (use the <d> <t> hold down left mouse button trick to make them pack up faster). If they made some profit before you will probably not experience any bad effects from pissing them off that way.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »

The problem was it's a dwarven caravan.
You can't confiscate goods from dwarves and I've tried insulting them by wanting all their leather in exchange for one lump of rock, but they're still positively giddy about trading, even with a bumbling cheesemaker talking to them.
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:00:40 pm »

Dig a hole in the ceiling above the mayor and drop some booze in?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:01:51 pm »

About the only way to make them load up faster, besides the previous posts, is either to store everything in bins, or sell just a few high valued items, for trade.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:50 pm »

If you seal up the outside world, they might leave through the caverns, if it helps.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:09:13 am »

I'm trying to get upgraded to a county so I'm using the "Draft the Mayor" trick to keep him busy.

Which version are you using?  The bug with getting a Barony was fixed in 0.31.17, and (I presume) this means upgrading to a County is also okay.  I can verify that I was just yesterday asked to get a Barony while the caravan was still around.  So, if getting a County is working too, you don't need to go through all these lengths.  Perhaps you could make a backup save before doing anything.

--Rexfelum

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 03:57:16 am »

to Rexfelum:
I'm running 0.31.18 and I thought the bug was still open. I've let the mayor get on with the meeting once but he just told me I got upgraded, without making me pick a count, so I crashed the game and reloaded before the meeting without bothering to wait for the liaison to leave.
I generally savescum a lot so I still have the save.
I'll try 2-3 times to repro the bug then, and see what happens when he leaves.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 06:50:21 am »

to Rexfelum:
I'm running 0.31.18 and I thought the bug was still open. I've let the mayor get on with the meeting once but he just told me I got upgraded, without making me pick a count, so I crashed the game and reloaded before the meeting without bothering to wait for the liaison to leave.

The count is just an upgraded baron; there shouldn't be an option to choose anyone else (as long as he's alive, at least..). I sure didn't get any options and got elevated just fine after the diplomat gave me that speech and eventually left.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 07:37:31 am »

Didn't know that; my first time getting nobles.
Anyway, bug fixed as far as I can tell; The moment the diplomat left i got the upgrade message.

The question still stands, tho: is there any way to make dwarven caravans pack up and run if you're done trading and are pretty sure there's a siege on the way?

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:19:50 am »

buy them out?