Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Legacy of a Warlord  (Read 8147 times)

lagging savant

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic ... bah. I was never caught.
    • View Profile
Legacy of a Warlord
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:34:12 pm »

Little project i've been working on for a few months. It is in it's alpha state right now.

The goals of the project is to be a rogue like, procedurally generated, extreme modability with the capability of having MASSIVE battles. This weekend should be a decent release, I just updated the movement code and had a large battle between 350+ troops and 4,000 rats. Story on the blog: http://willraman.tumblr.com/

Also took down a dragon last night and fraps it. Need to squish that raw footage though. Also kind of boring with the effects/lighting engine offline for now (don't want to be held accountable for an epileptic episode).

Since this is alpha I haven't fully completed some portions, like effects, character generation and screen sizing. That being said the only way you'd know your attacking is watching the battle logs and screen sizing is handled by using a larger or smaller font, kind of like what dwarf fortress does.

If this sounds interesting, feel free to stop by my site, http://www.legacyofawarlord.com/ or the blog or forums.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy of a Warlord
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:47:28 pm »

Looks interesting. I'd try and get 10+ posts before waving your stuff around though.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:47:42 pm »

Roguelike "massive battles"? Oh, colored me interested.  :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:50:26 pm »

It sounds cool, but like Cheese said people here tend to ruin your thread if you link projects before getting Baywatcher.
Shoes...

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:52:17 pm »

Pretty sure he's not a bot, so let us discuss. About to install, this has peaked my interest   8).

lagging savant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:54 pm »

Looks interesting. I'd try and get 10+ posts before waving your stuff around though.

Thanks for the interest.

Could you share why 10+ posts are needed to post in a forum? I'm normally not the type of person to speak unless I have something interesting to say in life or on a forum.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 03:57:24 pm »

It's generally considered advertising to sign up to a forum just to get everyone to try your game. We've also had a lot of bots as of recent, so people with low posts can be suspicious. But let's not derail the thread.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »

In savant's defense, he's been registered since '08, which probably counts for something.

Re: The game itself: I gave a fairly recent build a go (earlier this month). Was interesting enough, though obviously alpha-state. Definitely keeping an eye on it, into the future. Group-enabled RLs are quite the rare specimen.

To Savant: Is there any way to pause or switch over to a turn-based thing, or just slow it up or something? Real-time RLs are jarring for me :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RichardTheWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Bloody Nora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 05:34:36 pm »

Hey Savant, I went onto your blog and read a few articles and poked around on your website looking and around and what not, it looks like a pretty fun game. I loved that 4000 rats versus 150 odd adventurers, sounds like a fun game as far as I am concerned.  :)

lagging savant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 05:45:10 pm »

To Savant: Is there any way to pause or switch over to a turn-based thing, or just slow it up or something? Real-time RLs are jarring for me :P

Apologies for the delay. I was at the DMV.  :'(

Hitting the space bar sets the game into strategic mode. You can issue commands to the troops or plan strategy while paused. Also if you need to take a break without the troops starving to death.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 06:04:30 pm »

Seems pretty cool, but could you include a ReadMe with the controls or something, there doesn't seem to be any documentation.

EDIT: Or you could try looking in the Licensing folder, but it would be nice to have it on the top layer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:06:21 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 06:13:23 pm »

Been following this idly since it first popped onto my radar at the roguelike release list on roguebasin :D I only tried it once a few versions back but look forward to it.

lagging savant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 06:38:31 pm »

Seems pretty cool, but could you include a ReadMe with the controls or something, there doesn't seem to be any documentation.

The instructions are in the manual.pdf, an adobe acrobat file. What I gather is that this goes against roguelike conventions of a readme.txt . I'll textify and create a readme file. Thanks for the feedback.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:17:17 pm »

I for one appreciate a .pdf format, regardless of the game. Scrolling through text files is meh, to me.

Both would be a good solution.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:26:35 pm »

Both would be a wonderful solution. I can rarely stand .pdf files, m'self. Text files use up so much less comp resources (and I keep a text editor open. I, uh, don't keep foxit reader open.) :(
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2 3