Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Do streams continue flowing after they are plugged?  (Read 588 times)

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Do streams continue flowing after they are plugged?
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:00:17 am »

Wow I cannot think of a way to word that to make sense. Hopefully this will:

BACKSTORY: I've got a completely flat embark area (image), and am planning on totally (or at least partially) fucking over the world, a la Boatmurdered 2.0. Since water is a bit more important in this version (I think, for hospitals? Maybe?) should I try and build a wall around my brook thing I have to the southeast to prevent it from obsidianizing, or would I just be able to channel away the obsidian and have it start flowing again in which case fuck the brook?

Of course, I need to hole myself in and find the magma and build a whole bunch of pumps or pistonate it up (which I still don't understand after reading that thread, so I might just go with the pumps for the complicatedness of it), so this is a long way off yet I think.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:19:33 pm by Alexei403 »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do streams continue flowing after they are plugged?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »

you could build a gigantic cistern and fill it first, then not care about the brook.  You could also search for an underground water source.

I don't know what happens when obsidian hits brook tiles, since they are sort of strange invisible floors on top of the water.  In either case, the only important thing that you protect is the source of the brook, the edge tiles on the map where the water comes from.  If you prevent those from turning to obsidian, you should always be able to dig out and restore the brook indefinitely.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:09:58 pm »

Those weird water source springs are actually kind of weird.  Normally with brooks water is sourced from the map edge, but I'm not sure about mid-map springs.

The important thing to remember is that when magma flows over a water source tile, it will turn it to obsidian.  This will probably permanently destroy the water source.  If you are worried about this I recommend building a constructed floor over the brook tiles to prevent magma from coming in contact with them.  You can then tap them from the side, underground, for a secure water source while covering the surface in magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:19:12 pm »

I'm not sure why I didn't think of flooring over the brook. That seems incredibly obvious now that it's been mentioned. >_<

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Do streams continue flowing after they are plugged?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:47:35 pm »

From personal experience, unless you physically mine out the damp stone that the water is seeping from you can't really destroy it. Even when magma hits the water and causes a dam you can still mine out the obsidian and the water will begin to flow again.