Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: i cant assign a water source  (Read 1139 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
i cant assign a water source
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:33:33 am »

i can set up any zone i want but water source seem to have bugged out on me. weather a brook or a lake i cant make my under ground farms as it keeps saying 'water source (0)' when setting up a zone. dose anyone know how to fix this?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: i cant assign a water source
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:03:26 am »

i can set up any zone i want but water source seem to have bugged out on me. weather a brook or a lake i cant make my under ground farms as it keeps saying 'water source (0)' when setting up a zone. dose anyone know how to fix this?
Are you perhaps on a map with an ocean, or bordering an ocean?

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:33:50 am »

The water might be bad, yes.  If you try to set up a zone that covers a bunch of water, and the number in parens after "Water Source" is zero, the water is bad.  There are ways to desalinate water (check the wiki) if you don't want to abandon the map.  Also, if you keep your dwarves well-stocked with alcohol, you can do okay without water until something stupid happens.  It's been my experience that if you stay away from dangerous animals, you can often last a couple of years without a fight that will hurt a dwarf.  There is often water and other fun stuff to be found in a downward direction, and if you need it bad enough and/or are paranoid enough about needing it, you can go that route.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:34:54 am »

Are you including any ground tiles when designating the water zone?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:15 pm »

I found this one confusing as well.  When you set up the zone, you need to be over land tiles that border on good water, *not* on the water itself.  If your whole zone is water tiles, it'll tell you you have 0 water sources, b/c there are 0 places your dwarves can stand to get to the water.  Water source zones are places for the dwarves to stand with access to water, not tiles with water themselves. 
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:42:12 pm »

too the last 2 replies i will say to you this I AM NOT A FUCKING RETARD.

serious? include land tiles? no fucking shit!

anyway back to those of you who assumed i have an IQ over -20. i guess the water could be bad cept that it's form a brook and that brooks source (like the place the whole thing starts) is on the map im currently playing. is it even possible for a brook to be bad? at it's start region no less?

also i have an aquifer on the map, would that be a definite source?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 01:31:23 pm »

too the last 2 replies i will say to you this I AM NOT A FUCKING RETARD.

serious? include land tiles? no fucking shit!

I suggest you fuck off and figure it out yourself.  >:(
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:17:32 pm »

Indeed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »

I suggest you learn some manners and accept that people are not psychic, and cannot possibly know if you've tried using the correct method when you in fact have not mentioned it.

In other words. Urist - please let me introduce you to this magnificent chamber made out of solid magma adamantine.
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 03:21:18 pm »

People have to cover the basic reasons, because people DO make mistakes and some are easy to overlook or misunderstand.

If you can't handle considering the chance of you being wrong: don't ask questions.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 04:03:28 pm »

i guess the water could be bad cept that it's form a brook and that brooks source (like the place the whole thing starts) is on the map im currently playing. is it even possible for a brook to be bad? at it's start region no less?

also i have an aquifer on the map, would that be a definite source?
If you have a salt-water map, all surface water is salty or brackish and thus unsuitable for drinking. Even brooks, at their source, that have to fall over a 100-story waterfall to get to the sea, are made salty by the ocean. Aquifers are also salty in salt-water zones.

I don't recall whether or not cavern water is made salty by the ocean. It might be. Regardless, I've generally heard that wells make salt water drinkable.

Also, you play this game, you surely realize how counterintuitive it can be at times, and that things that seem obvious to one person aren't always to another. When people suggest something "obvious" it isn't because they're trying to insult you or that they think you're stupid, but rather that people have not noticed such solutions in the past, so it's best to cover all bases.

And for everyone else, while he did overreact, when someone says something like that, it's better to not respond in kind. It just makes tempers flare more and doesn't help fix anyone's problems.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »

Do brooks still have that "layer" over top that makes them largely inaccessible to swimming and such? I don't really know since I try to avoid them like the plague.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 05:58:40 pm »

Yes, brooks do, but you can channel the top off, or have caveins through them.

The layer is nice because it makes them safe from invaders swimming under walls.  If not a little lame :)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 12:28:10 am »

thx for the tip brucemo, the wiki told me exactly how to desalinate the water and my dwarves may yet live.

as for going off, not only are those really 'hurr-durr good advice is hard' responses but they are the exact same pieces of advice one after the other. i really don't care if you don't think it's worth helping me with this problem but if you are could i have some real help instead of you using this thread to get up your total posts?

if i cant be stuffed helping someone i have the curtsey's not to waste their time at least.

ps, wouldn't have minded if the 'edge tiles' bit was among other suggestions to show they are actually trying.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 12:33:29 am »

Even if the presence of an ocean biome in your start location makes all water on the map brackish, cavern-water is fresh and good for drinking.

Wells on salty water I don't think are "drinkable", but they do make the water "gettable".  You may end up with a bunch of buckets lying around containing "water laced with salt" and angry dwarves.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: [1] 2