Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help preventing freezing  (Read 950 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Need help preventing freezing
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:44 am »

I'm in a freezing biome, with an aquifer and cliff. I'ld like to provide drainage for the aquifer off the cliff, but the wate keeps freezing in the pipe.  I've built a couple layers of floors above it, but that hasn't helped :(
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

sharpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help preventing freezing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:36:14 am »

You could possibly pump magma up and parallel to your drain 'pipe'.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:14:06 am »

The problem is that the water will freeze as soon as it hits an "outside" tile, and that includes any tiles that were ever outside regardless of their current state. Magma would keep it thawed, but as I believe you're trying to run the water out of a cliffside, that will only result in a small obsidian block, and if you kept the magma separate with floors, then the water would freeze once it left the warm floor and create a barrier anyway.

The only way I see this working for you is turning temperature off.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:52:34 am »

As the previous poster said, a channel that was roofed over is never the same as one where the pipe has never been exposed to sky.

But the minute the water goes outside, it is going to freeze, which I think is going to clog your pipe regardless.

Perhaps dig down and look for another place to drain the water.

I am starting to love aquifers in cold biomes.  They are easy to get through, and once you are through you can just poke a hole in the ceiling for water where you want it.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:41:16 am »

Drain it to the edge of the map instead? Below ground ofcourse. Smooth the tile on the edge and carve it into a fortification and presto - drainage.
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>