Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small Animal Training  (Read 793 times)

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small Animal Training
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »

Hey all,

I finally managed to catch 2 live lizards and a firefly! and was wondering how to go about training them.

I have gone into the kennel and selected "Train Small Animal" but nothing happens and shortly the job disappears.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, what do I do with the animals once they are trained (if I can manage it).

Thanks!

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small Animal Training
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:43:43 pm »

You misread tame for train. Small animals can't be trained, they can only be eaten and processed for extracts (a select few). You can also try to put them up for adoption, but since dwarfs normally have no preference for vermin that will probably do nothing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »

Small animals can certainly be tamed.  They can't be trained, you can't make war vermin, but you can tame them.  You need to tame them to make them available for adoption.

However, Lizards are PET_EXOTIC, so you need a Dungeon Master to tame them, and Fireflies can't be tamed at all.  The only vermin that you can tame without a dungeon master are bluejays, cardinals, grackles, orioles, redwing blackbirds, hedgehogs, rats, large roaches, and worms.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:10:25 pm »

Ah...tamed, yes that's what I meant.

Thank you for the response. It all makes sense to me now.