Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cooking with dwarven syrup [SOLVED]  (Read 756 times)

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cooking with dwarven syrup [SOLVED]
« on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:25 pm »

I've noticed that my cook isn't using dwarven syrup.  It's in the stockpike right next to his kitchen (along with elephant meat, sugar, flour, and cheese) but he's never choosing to pick it up and cook with it.  Any ideas why he's ignoring it or what I can do to make him use it up?  He's preferring to head quite far away to use cheaper meats rather than the syrup that's right next to him.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:10:14 pm by shmelse »
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Re: cooking with dwarven syrup
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:01:13 pm »

I believe it's been mentioned that chefs will prefer using solid ingredients over fluids. ???
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 06:46:00 pm »

Yeah the only way you can make him use a syrup barrel is turn only a few solid items on in the kitchen section of the stocks menu and then forbid all but one stack from the selected items. If you bother to micromanage that much you can get some big stacks of food tho.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:51:30 pm »

Is your kitchen in its own room? Lock him inside the room.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:18:16 am »

When I have elephant products, flour, sugar and syrup, and I want a cook to make something from just these four ingredients specifically, I go into the kitchen menu and turn off cooking for everything else before requesting my lavish meals.

Bang: Lavish meals containing syrup.

If you want them to use syrup (say, to consume your stocks and free barrels up) then using the kitchen menu is teh simplest way, but it requires some micromanagement (to make sure you always have the desired umber of ingredients allowed, etc).

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:30:54 pm »

Thanks, guys, I'll definitely try this.  One problem is that I have a constant influx of flour/sugar due to the millers, but I can just turn that off for now and let him use up the syrup first. 

And yes, Ill, I should have realized that syrup counted under the liquid rule just like everything else. =P  Thanks to everyone else for humoring my dumbness. 
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:09:57 pm »

Awesome!  I'm getting stacks of 35 syrup/elephant pies worth 20K and one stack of syrup/FB meat worth 94K!  Thanks, guys!  =D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:31:45 pm by shmelse »

"An' th' tables?"