Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bring the magma to the dwarves or the dwarves to the magma?  (Read 1604 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Bring the magma to the dwarves or the dwarves to the magma?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 07:47:58 pm »

It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

capt.pantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:19:10 am »

Dwarfiest?

As much as I love the dwarfyness of the magma-piston concept - if I'm going to go to that much effort, I'd want to have magma 'on-tap' as they say.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 05:50:49 pm »

Curious... Why do you need to do agriculture on the surface?

I like Rope Reeds (he's an elf!), using Whip Vine Flour for meals (ELF!), and the additional dye plants (EEEEEELF!!!!!) available at the surface to make valuable meal stacks and cloth goods to trade (EEEEEELFFFFFFF!!!!!!).  The stunning variety and value of booze available from surface plants incl. the only WHISKEY (perhaps he IS a dwarf?) in the game makes me stick to the surface.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 06:49:58 pm »

I like Rope Reeds (he's an elf!), using Whip Vine Flour for meals (ELF!), and the additional dye plants (EEEEEELF!!!!!) available at the surface to make valuable meal stacks and cloth goods to trade (EEEEEELFFFFFFF!!!!!!).  The stunning variety and value of booze available from surface plants incl. the only WHISKEY (perhaps he IS a dwarf?) in the game makes me stick to the surface.
Just under-mine and drop a thick block of surface soil all the way down to the Cavern levels.
Never pet a burning dog.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »

On top of this, there's the "elephants don't inhabit caverns" and "tame crocodiles behind door #1 sound fun" sorts of reasons to generally have a surface presence of some sort. (Yes, you can get a breeding pair of those animals from the elves, Virginia, but you might hit the lottery, too.)

Further, I don't understand why there's such a worry about letting traders make a walk to the deep. Deep doesn't mean "let them inside fort security", it just refers to what relative Z-level you're talking about. The difference between 100 and 50 steps to the depot isn't really that much difference, really, and you can always force traders to enter by an alternate route from your dwarves using pressure plates and hatches. Put a drawbridge "at the back" of the Depot, and let dwarves in from the back while you defend the entry tunnel with traps (not cages, something lethal without reloading). With that plan, you could keep invaders out (raised bridge over dry moat) and let traders in, while retaining your fort at magma-forge level and forcing traders to walk all the way down there. Sure, they may trigger (or lead) an ambush deep into the tunnels, but a 50-Z set of ramps on switchbacks, with each level full of traps you don't have to spend much time or effort to maintain is pretty dwarfy and doesn't have any FPS death issues that can come from pumping magma in some cases.

A "bridge over dry moat" built into one of your switchbacks allows you to seal the area off from the outside to prevent anything from coming in while you're trading.

For extra security, build a few areas full of lever-triggered spikes and put them all on one lever. You can take the lever off repeat when the traders pass through the area, and put it on when there's no one coming - and everyone who's at the point of "build your whole fort in the deeps" probably can afford to spare dwarves for lever duty. That'll pretty much hash anything that gets into the area.

Yes, there's a high setup cost to a trap hallway that long, and it requires working around the caverns and holding off their inhabitants while you get it built, but large architecture projects that can't be 100% pre-planned are dwarfy too, right?
Pages: 1 [2]