Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wooden arm holding natural terrain?  (Read 628 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wooden arm holding natural terrain?
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:56:17 pm »

I looked through the wiki and a bunch of other questions and didn't find this. I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Okay, when I was reading through Oilfurnace, it told early on how a plug of natural terrain was carved out, and then supported/held by a "wooden arm".... from above. I know how to support terrain with constructions from below, but I DON'T know how to do it like that. Is there just a specific construction that holds terrain up like that? If so, how do I create this?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden arm holding natural terrain?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »

That structure, ingame, would just be an up stair on the ground, a down stair above it, 2 floors to go over the channel, and then a support on the plug beneath the floor.

So, like this:

z-level +0:
>.I

z-level +1:
<++

With <> as stairs, . as a channel, I as a support, and +s as floors. The plug hangs from the support which hangs from the floors which hang from the stairs which are on solid ground. It's as simple as that. You would, of course, have to build the support and associated structure on the plug before you finished digging out all of the channels that separate it from the ground proper, but that isn't difficult.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:38:29 pm »

You just increased the fun of DF for a really simple-minded player.
Thank you.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »

z-level +0:
<.I

z-level +1:
>++
FTFY - you had the stairs pointing in the wrong direction (< is up, > is down)
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.