Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: An adventure in text  (Read 7590 times)

DinosaurusRex_x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An adventure in text
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »

_____      ___       _____      _____   
|_   _ `.  .'    `.    .' __   |   .' ____  \ 
  | | `. \ /  .-.  \  / .'   \_|   | (____\_| 
  | |  | || |   |  || |      ___  _   __  '. 
 _| |_.' / \  `-'  / \ `.___]  | | \___)  | 
|_____.'   `.__.'   `._____.'   \______.' 

Play my picture adventure games: Roll to Dodge Mr T and You Are Douchebag!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:03 pm »

> It seems this place dislikes being empty, as it immediately starts to fill again...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eh?
Eh!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2011, 06:05:24 pm »

Wait, what are they going to ask me for? I have no idea what's going on.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2011, 07:16:41 pm »

((You used a certain bit of BBCode, and accomplished a goal that many of them failed. Just look at any time someone typed a 2d figure, and it was completely ruined because the line breaks were ignored...
It also affected the way some characters responded, but not all of them, the rest were changed by something else... Rather ironic that that something else caused problems for you in the past, as well, preventing you from seeing some neat effects... (and preventing me from having to think of some neat effects for you to see...)))
Eh?
Eh!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2011, 01:27:51 pm »

Either you are incredibly lucky, or something wants you alive, because the changing glyphs just missed you, and left a nice bridge at the same time.

>_

(Was that a cleverly place comma, a luckily placed comma, or both? I can't tell...)
Eh?
Eh!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2011, 04:03:11 pm »

lucky, I'd say. (not this one thou)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2011, 04:12:20 pm »

blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,balh,bahl,balah'sdfgsfdg'd,h's,b'd,f',vsd,f',vb,f',gb,dft,ghf'gd, I have no idea what I am trying to do here
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:14:35 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2011, 09:13:29 am »

New theory: This place is actively trying to kill you, and doing so quite incompetently.

>_

(Note: next text starts from the last e in 'here' (lower left corner, vertical, written in a downwards direction) if the first character is , or `; the space below if it is >, <, ^, V, or a space (or any non-printing character or character sequence that hasn't been discovered yet); or the space on the bottom row otherwise, as an implicit space is assumed if there is none.

Confusing, isn't it.

Unrelated, if you want to see how well you understand the mechanics of this, consider what "VVVV[x:@,12]..V>" would do, without the quotes. I don't recommend it as the next suggestion, because that would be uncreative, and I really don't recommend it anywhere else, because then it wouldn't have the intended result

And, once again, note the difference between ' and `. It's just as important as it would be in a shell script (and apparently ` is known as a grave accent just about everywhere else, but commonly a backtick or backquote when used on it's own in such scripts and other programming uses. Terminology, eh?))
Eh?
Eh!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2011, 03:49:02 pm »

x,xx,xx,xx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxxx,xxxxx,xxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx,
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2011, 11:33:54 am »

New new theory: It's just incompetent, and got lucky when it nearly hit you.

>_

(Commands, in the form of [word:arg,arg...] may be accepted if they make sense. For example, [flood:.] makes sense as a way to flood-fill with . characters. Interesting side-note: [WALL OF TEXT] would have, if typed, resulted in a literal wall of text, filling the entire next line, it's not just a replacement for excessive input.)
Eh?
Eh!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2011, 11:37:44 am »

[flood:*]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2011, 01:54:33 pm »

& & & & & & & & & & & &   & & & & & & & & & & & &   & & & & & & & & & & & &   & & & & & & & & & & & &   & & & & & & & & & & & &
     & & & & & & & & & & & &   & & & & & & & & & & & &   & & & & & & & & & & & &   & & & & & & & & & & & &   & & & & & & & & & & & &

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2011, 02:52:26 pm »

[checkerboard:$]
[!checkerboard:0]
[tile:#]
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2011, 03:06:17 am »

(You have more patience than I, Qwerty. Anyway, if our character hasn't been obliterated next update...)

[RESET-CURSOR]
fff,f,&fW`W`fff
[WAITTURNS:1]
thi,
[WAITSTEPS:3]
nka`
bou,
tfo`
odf,
ora`
few,
min`
ute`swh`at`wo`~ul
dyo`
uli
ket
oea
t?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2011, 09:33:55 pm »

Agh, I just can't find the motivation to continue this. Every time I start to think about it, it all comes down to a simple problem: That flood fill will fill the large clump of 'x', and then hit a very significant part of the grid, including the player, with a searing wave of destruction.

The problem is that the character is not protected this time, so would actually be destroyed.

However, I can't decide if it is the end of the game, or if the character's natural magical abilities count as one last shield, absorbing the damage, but permanently locking out the original ending I had in mind, but allowing the game to continue, and perhaps finish with a poor ending, though still a win, rather than a lose.

Either way, I'll probably start a new instance of this, someday, with a different backstory and a new set of character effects, and either put it here again, or see how well it runs on the MSPA forums, and explain the ending that could have been.
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9