Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about migrants!  (Read 1071 times)

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about migrants!
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:09:07 pm »

Is it possible to change the amount of migrants  in the d_init.txt file at any time while you have an active game?

Example: I start a fort with the default settings, get 30+ dorfs, and then quit the game, change settings to 0, re-enter game. Will I recieve more migrants, or do the settings only affect newly created forts?

Sorry if I'm unclear, I've been awake way too long.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:18:21 pm by Ravenplucker »

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
Re: A question about migrants!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 03:15:19 pm »

I THINK you need to change the MaX Pop to stop them from coming...not sure. I have also read that the first 2 waves come regardless of the max pop setting....

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »

I know how to do it, I'm just wondering if you can modify the max population while you have an active game.

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:21:39 pm »

I think so yes.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:28:34 pm »

You can, but it may not take effect immediately.  Immigrant waves may be decided somewhat in advance, or possibly the new immigrant cap doesn't get communicated back to the mountainhome right away - if you reduce your immigrant cap you might still get a wave or two, and if you increase it you might not start getting immigrants again for a year or two.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 07:37:51 pm »

You can certainly change the pop-cap settings during a game... I've done it many times... but it doesn't seem to take effect until after the next Dwarven Caravan.
Never pet a burning dog.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:03:47 pm »

If you are at, or over, the population cap, then no new migrant waves will arrive, and no dwarves will get pregnant. However, existing pregnant dwarves can still give birth.

If you are just slightly below the population cap, then you can still get a huge migrant wave pushing you way over it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:04:26 am »

If you are at, or over, the population cap, then no new migrant waves will arrive, and no dwarves will get pregnant. However, existing pregnant dwarves can still give birth.

If you are just slightly below the population cap, then you can still get a huge migrant wave pushing you way over it.

no, you sill still get babbies even if your pop cap is 0. You need to lower the baby/child cap
Code: [Select]
This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000]

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:13:40 am »

Say hmm where can i find the file to change those settings?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 01:27:35 pm »

DF folder/data/init/d_init.txt

d_init.txt has options that affect dwarves and other units within the game, init.txt has options that affect the interface. There's some overlap between them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.