Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spontaneously Bleeding Dwarves  (Read 2096 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spontaneously Bleeding Dwarves
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:56:52 pm »

I've had a few cases of dwarves bleeding to death without warning. Out of combat, not even sparring. All the affected dwarves were in the militia, but not doing anything remotely dangerous. One was just walking down the hallway, and the other was in individual drill. Anyone else have this problem?

LordBistian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spontaneously Bleeding Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:58:43 pm »

Forgotten Beast extracts anywhere near?
If yes, use magma. Kill it with magma.
There's no reason why you wouldn't kill magma with magma.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »

Forgotten Beast extracts anywhere near?
If yes, use magma. Kill it with magma.
There's no reason why you wouldn't kill magma with magma.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to say. I haven't seen any forgotten beasts at all (I have INVADERS: OFF, could this have something to do with it?)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »

Check your Justice screen, see if any of them were punished for failed mandates.

If you have invaders turned off, why do you even have a militia?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:14:30 pm »

Check your Justice screen, see if any of them were punished for failed mandates.

If you have invaders turned off, why do you even have a militia?

I planned to turn it back on if i got bored.  And no, there hasn't been any justice. No combat reports, but on the thoughts screen they all had a note of major injuries received and severe blood loss on the health tab. (I checked posthumously so I can't see the wounded parts).

Could my equipment be infected by something, and is passed on to each militia member that picks it up?  The spear he had was covered in fire imp goo, is it dangerous?

EDIT: I strongly suspect that the fire imp goo is the culprit. One of my earlier militia dwarves died after fighting a fire imp. His equipment was taken back to storage. This included the steel sword he used. Steel was rare at the time so I never made a second steel sword. His replacement was also a swordsdwarf who spontaneously died in the hall. I checked the steel sword; it was coated in fire imp goo.

Then one of my speardwarves died after fighting a fire imp. He was using a steel spear, high quality. His replacement speardwarf bled out spontaneously in the barracks. I checked the spear he was using and it was also coated in fire imp goo.

Phew. This is all just my speculation though. Does anyone have any input?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:56:02 pm by Haruspex_Pariah »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:55:34 pm »

What version of DF are you running? If it's 40d, it's possible they died from sparring injuries. For 0.31, I'm pretty sure the INVADERS setting does not prevent the arrival of megabeasts, and titans (which arrive above-ground) can cause the same sort of syndromes as forgotten beasts.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »

It looks like the fire imp goo is burning their skin away. You might want to try melting the weapons down (although that will sacrifice the dwarf carrying them).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Doc_LaKock

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken bones? Brb soap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:21:57 pm »

It looks like the fire imp goo is burning their skin away. You might want to try melting the weapons down (although that will sacrifice the dwarf carrying them).

I seem to recall getting Cave Blob goo on one of my Recruit's large daggers.
I melted it down and goo remained on/around the workshop.

To be safe, I would suggest dropping the weapons in magma.
Goblins have no sense of humor. Therefore clowns hate them.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »

Aye, I dumped the coated weapons into my magma garbage chute. Now that I'm importing flux, steel rarity is not an issue. If a sudden death happens again, or another fire imp attacks, I'll be able to test the theory.

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 01:08:00 am »

We must weaponize the fire imp goo.  For !!science!!!  This reminds me of the fat melting steel shoes of dragonslaying, dragons blood is HOT. 

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 02:06:45 pm »

Perhaps the fire imp goo tainted weapons could be sold to hapless traders, blinded by their greed, eager to get genuine dwarven steel, ignoring the orange stains and suspicious warmth.  Would it be possible to get fire imp goo on trade goods intentionally, through any means other than using them to stab an imp?  Will wooden training weapons (or wooden spike traps) burn up if used to kill an imp?  Does the goo remain at the site where it was killed, burning passers by?

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 03:06:44 pm »

I've had FB blood that did that to me. Killed all my war dogs and caused 2 of em to tantrum and destroy my road  :(.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 05:27:43 pm »

*mental image of 'zombie' dogs furiously digging up a road* :lol:
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 07:05:49 pm »

:-X err...I meant that it drove two of my military dwarfs to tantrum, 'cause they lost their army of cute doggies.
This is why I need to look over everything I type 6 times

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 04:39:02 am »

I've not seen fire imp goo on the floors or walls, and I've killed at least three with edged weapons.
Pages: [1] 2