Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Starting a new Let's Play on Youtube  (Read 5404 times)

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
Starting a new Let's Play on Youtube
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:27:17 pm »

Welcome viewers you are about to embark upon a journey to Fortress Zonrovod.  A currently active Let's Play that hopefully tells a long and glorious tale!  You are welcome to join our small community of viewers and subscribe at my youtube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RiotHouseLP

*UPDATE 1/18/11: The Fortress of "Zonrovod" is coming together nicely.  We've had several battles and a few losses of our own, but the dwarven spirit is not broken, nay it has only strengthened our resolve!!!  In my next batch of Let's Plays (episode 24 and onwards) I plan too explore the vast underground caverns.  We need many a sturdy dwarf if we are too pry these ageless treasures from the deep.

*Note: Let's Play 1-3 have a few problems that have since been ironed out such as sound and recording.  When other problems are brought too attention please post them here so they can be addressed in later episodes.  Thank you and enjoy the show!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:28:57 am by RiotHouse »

DanJhonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a new Let's Play on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »

Seems like a pretty good start to me, One complaint though, When ever music started to play it tended to drown your voice out.

Aside from that i enjoyed your first episode and look forward to the next.

Edit: Oh and i subscribed to you under Fizzwiggit
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:44:36 pm by DanJhonson »

Twistolation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:58:52 pm »

Hey subbing as elementalterror! Looking forward to it!

If the dorfing begins, Please name a Good ol millitary urist Twistolation

Thanks, have a good 1, Go and pull a boatmurdered:D

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 06:07:38 pm »

Seems like a pretty good start to me, One complaint though, When ever music started to play it tended to drown your voice out.

Aside from that i enjoyed your first episode and look forward to the next.

Excellent feedback, i'm recording videos today and will fix it starting now.

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:11:59 pm »

Okay, i'm getting ready to post the 2nd video up on youtube.  I've had a number of issues after uploading the youtube video.  When Youtube processes the video they never finish.  So I've lowered the screen resolution of the video down to 720x480.  Hopefully that works.  I would like for all of them to be HD but until I get a response from my complaint I'll get them up anyway I can.

Check the site in the next 15 mins, should be up.

Enjoy!

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:41:35 pm »

The 3rd video should be up anytime now.  I'll keep these forum updates to a minimum now.  If you guys have any requests for ingame stuff let me know!

DanJhonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:31:48 pm »

The audio seem much better now!

I like the way your fortress (and i the videos too i suppose :D) is turning out so far, Keep up the good work!

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 11:59:01 pm »

Thanks, I think you'll see that the next batch of three are exceptional.  I think I know what i'm doing now haha.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 12:33:44 am »

The videos are looking good, you seem to be a lot more comfortable with commentating than a lot of Lets Players I see (Then again, I usually see Minecraft LPs with all the 12 year old raging that entails...)

I have a selfish questions though...  How are you recording?  I usually use Fraps for most of my LPs (-Shameless advertising- Feel free to check them out), but it won't record DF for me.  I am looking to do an Adventure mode LP, but it is hard to do without footage (Go figure).

I also subscribed (As GrimSkellington)

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 12:45:29 am »

The videos are looking good, you seem to be a lot more comfortable with commentating than a lot of Lets Players I see (Then again, I usually see Minecraft LPs with all the 12 year old raging that entails...)

I have a selfish questions though...  How are you recording?  I usually use Fraps for most of my LPs (-Shameless advertising- Feel free to check them out), but it won't record DF for me.  I am looking to do an Adventure mode LP, but it is hard to do without footage (Go figure).

I also subscribed (As GrimSkellington)

Thanks for the comments, and excellent questions.  I'm also using Fraps for my LPs, the trick with recording DF with Fraps is that you have to enable Monitor Aero Desktop (DWM) under the general tab on the Fraps menu.  I have the purchased version of Fraps, i'm not sure if the free trial differs in that regard.

Another Problem your bound to face is that Fraps splits your video footage into .avi files that are only a couple minutes long ( at least for me it does ).  You will need a avi joiner program to combine those files together into an MPEG4 etc.  I use Ultra Video Joiner 6.0.1225 for this.  Its an excellent program.  Joining these .avi files takes a long time though.  For each video it takes between 50min - 1hr30min to complete.  Then another 15 minutes to load up on Youtube.  So you can see that for just 1 10-12min video it takes close to 2-3hrs for me to create.  Lots of time, but I look at it this way.  The time i put into a Youtube video is multiplied 100 fold by the viewers that enjoy watching it. 

I hope that helps.

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 02:04:52 am »

Part 4 and 5 are up and running in HD!  I worked out the video upload problem with Youtube so everything is bling blingin'

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:20:07 am by RiotHouse »

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 07:46:33 am »

Thank you for the tip with Fraps, I was never sure what that check-box did.

Fraps has a limit on the size of files it will save (3.9Gb) which usually is between 3-8 minutes.  I just use Windows Movie Maker to compile and edit it all.  Around an hour of editing, an hour of saving the final file in HD, and 4-5 hours for uploading to youtube.  I can definitely understand the time constraints involved.  :P

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 03:48:03 pm »

Part 4-7 are up and running in HD!  I worked out the video upload problem with Youtube so everything is bling blingin'

Enjoy!

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 11:24:10 am »

I volunteer to join the military, as an axe dwarf of course. Once you get a squad outfitted in iron the first cavern layer should provide excellent training, things like crundles and bugbats spawn in large groups and are easy to kill. The only dangerous things down there are the odd blind cave ogre or cave crocodile, but once everyone reaches novice or better they shouldn't pose any threat.

Edit: Oh one more suggestion I didn't see you do it with the first immigrant wave but you should check what skills each immigrant has and make sure they their best/most useful skill enabled as they often don't come with those skills active.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:44:23 am by Nirreln »
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 11:56:31 am »

Would love to have a 'Tivec' in there. Your choice at what you want to use him for, as long as you don't make him a Magenta Magnates :P
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec
Pages: [1] 2 3 4