Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Questionable Ethics  (Read 33909 times)

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable Ethics
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

I (perhaps mistakenly) sense a bit of hostility with that. Is anything wrong?

Fenrir

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
<STRONG>I (perhaps mistakenly) sense a bit of hostility with that. Is anything wrong?</STRONG>
Sorry. I didn't mean to sound hostile. I just wanted to know if you had conversed with Armok recently.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

Yes, actually. We're actually friends.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

Beyond Quality!  :D

And sorry if I don't say much, but I talk to Alan several hours a day over the chat nowadays, I take most discussion there.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

Few, just finished reading all that. Good stuff, though I think the quality of your writing has gone down a tiny bit since your previous stories. Keep up the good work though, its far better than anything I could come up with!
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

Thanks   :)

And yes, although I do strive for quality, I don't think I'll ever be able match the two previous.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They both put their weapons away, and accompanied eachother out. Yeln jumped down the machinery, and despite the water, made his way back to Kazo, "Meww!" Kazo smiled and snickered, petting Yeln as Yeln rubbed against Kazos leg, tail raised high into the air. Nefarious pressed her hand against her face, "Ugh... I'm gunna be feelin' this one tomorrow."

Kazo asked, "Do you need any help?" Nefarious replied, "I got nothin' to tie this up with now. Wait 'till we get back." They continued on, Yeln opting to walk along side them, likely to stretch his legs and to dry off. They continued on until they reached Nefarious' room again, and then entered. Nefarious walked over to a piece of cloth resting upon a table, then held it up with a metal bottle. Kazo commented, "I think I have a better idea!"

Nefarious asked, "What is it then?" Kazo spoke, approaching, "Just stand right there." Kazo then placed his hand on her cheek, over the deep, bleeding scratch. She held still and watched curiously. Kazo then channeled his mana towards that hand, modulating it with his own willpower to create a regenerative field, closing the scratch and sealing it such that only a hardly noticeable scar was present. Kazo then placed his other hand on her gut, and repeated the process, stepping back afterwards, "There!"

Nefarious asked, "That's perfect, how'd ya do that?" Kazo snickered, "Magic!" Nefarious smiled, "Fair 'nough. I'd like to try some myself, there's the occasional record o' it, but there ain't any more around far as I've seen." Kazo replied, "It's gone somewhere. I don't know where but it has! So why did you decide to do that with no top garmet?" Nefarious replied, "People 'ere don't care what you're wearing or not wearing. Same goes for most other places 'cept for the religious nuts from the north, but they c'n kiss my a** and then they can go to hell. They'd make good slaves and test subjects for when I get there myself." Kazo smiled, "So I see you're planning ahead!" Nefarious replied, "Yep."

Kazo noticed a bookshelf near the far wall of the room, and walked to it. Nefarious lay at her bed, put on her glasses, and began sifting through a pile of various reports and proposals from her people and other leaders. Kazo browsed the books, waving his tail as he walked from one side of the shelf to the other, his nose nearly touching the books as he moved. He did have a mission, but he also had time, enough to maybe read one or two parts of something before he left again. He noticed a book with a peculiar red-text title, and chose that one. He pulled it out, and found it was titled "The Golden Age of Blood: Histories of War and Revenge, 1000-1499".

Kazo sat in a chair near at a table close to Nefarious' bed. He set the book down as Yeln hopped up into his lap, "Mew!" Kazo grinned, "Yeln Kitty!" Yeln stood up, "Meww!" Kazo hugged Yeln. Yeln looked at Kazo, and tilted his head. Kazo tilted his head as well in the opposite direction. Yeln climbed up and nuzzled against Kazos nose. Kazo smiled, scritching Yeln on the side of the face, Yeln beginning to purr with one eye shut. Kazo did feel rather relaxed. It was said to lower ones blood pressure, but even if one lacked blood, the relaxing effect was still there.

Kazo channeled his mana, creating a regenerative field around Yeln. He hadn't done this before, and it was possible Yeln wasn't in top condition. To Kazos surprise, he found Yeln's soul actually took this in, and mirrored it back. He continued to hug Yeln, and a few moments later, noticed the scratch on his arm had seemed to repair itself. Kazo smiled. Yeln licked Kazos nose, and Kazo snickered.

A moment later, Yeln climbed out, and sat in Kazos lap, "Mewww?" Kazo replied, "Sure!" Kazo then opened the book, and began reading it, Yeln curiously observing some of the pictures and odd designs, even though Yeln was unable to really read it. After the dedication page and the index was the first section. It began by describing old Anthath Sizet as a stable place, an economic power of the deserts and wetlands in the southeast continents. It seemed a place of little note other than its wealth.

It was around 1005 when its wealth began to bring instability to the formerly stable place, political and economic battles breaking out among the middle class, and spreading toward the upper. The regime of the time held together but as time passed it became ever more difficult as challenges from more and more of the nobles and merchants around the king chipped away at the throne. For 20 more years that lineage held on to the throne, and it was in 1025 that the king was killed by one of the barons below him. This wasn't known at the time, so this baron having planned it the whole time, used his political leverage and wealth to buy out the throne.

The throne carried much of the wealth, and wealth made one a target among rivals. His reign only lasted 5 years, during which a very successful businessmen named Gustem Izrolronum gained immense political clout with the barons he always traded with. His trades lined their pocket books, so they voted for him. When he had the king killed, his friends made sure nobody knew, and soon after, he ascended the throne with the promise of further contributing to the wealth of his allies. Rather, he double crossed them, declaring them enemies and having them killed, their property seized and delivered to the capital.

Over the next 20 years, Gustem solidified his reign by preventing any means of overthrowing him. He taxed the poor until they were unable to afford good weapons, claiming their money. He taxed the merchants, forcing them to take corrupt measures that some had already embraced, and some were ever more disgusted with. He had the guards watch one another, and as these guards competed for fame and wealth, some reported others to Gustem for crimes they didn't commit. As a final layer of defense, Gustem refined his combat skills he had gained fighting wildlife and kobolds as a merchant, even once attacking a kobold cave after losing property to one of them. He trained to become an elite with the mace, using his immense wealth to have forged a masterwork mace and the most advanced suit of armor of that day, all made out of his favorite material, bronze. It was also during this time that Gustem enjoyed other privileges of his position, resulting in a child. Records show that the child died of an arrow wound, and his grave was dug up by someone, the child's remains never found.

Gustem could've had another, indeed the Izrolronum line was set to remain in total power over Anthath. Then... some scholars view it the result of legendary skill, some scholars view it as the result of a torrent of pure luck, many scholars viewing it as a combination of the two... on the 27th of Granite, 1050, Gustem Izrolronum was struck down by the lone kobold Fale Thimaiyilo during the very revolutionary conflict that she herself had begun. A note was printed that the details of this story were in part 2, offering a page number.

Kazo smiled as he read. He had slept for nearly 800 years, and seemed to have quite a bit of catching up to do. This book covered over half of it, and he felt intent on hearing the full story behind the two kobolds that he had met that long time ago... yet, it still only felt like the previous day. Perhaps also he would find himself mentioned. Somebody had to move him west, and he also felt curious about that old fortress he had found himself in.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoping I got the details to match up. Should be fine.

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2008, 03:11:00 am »

Beyond Quality.

Ok, this one might have been a bit slow... I hate to type that.

Oh, and I got the first post!   :D

This one is really awful, but I don't have many BQ award ideas:
"This is a neuron Beyond Quality award.
It mences whit spikes of activity.
I is encircled whit bands of memory.
It is encrusted in sensory.
On the item is an image of Sigmund Freud and a tentacle demon in psychology, the tentacle demon is telling jokes to Sigmund Freud, Sigmund Freud is laughing.
On the item is an image of and mushroom cloud and Sigmund Freud willpower, the mushroom cloud is engulfing Sigmund Freud, Sigmund Freud is being vaporized."
Maybe I shuld stop making awards when I have no ideas for them...

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Armok ]

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

I always appreciate the fact that you made one. Thanks  :)
Kazo flipped to the page number indicated. He read about Fale and what she had done, how she had been driven out of her home cave, her family slaughtered, and proceeded on a quest from there to avenge her loved ones. There was a detailed record of her adventures, her battles against the skeleton queen and the ettin, and finally against the forces of Gustem himself. Her actions as a ruler were detailed as well, her efforts in bringing peace and prosperity to what was once an oppressed region. Much of the information was surviving records of accounts from witnesses as well as Fale herself. It was mentioned she herself said she should've died a violent death the day she had met Gustem, but that despite what seemed to be destiny, she had prevailed. A side note was a discussion on this, that some say this shows that destiny is never absolute.

Afterwards, Kazo read the story immediately after of Blitukus Thimaiyilo. Unlike the story of her mother, many details were still a mystery to historians. His childhood was described within, his inclinations toward intellectualism and mechanisms, his partial gnomish lineage. His childhood had just ended when in new years of 1080 his mother was assassinated by the mercenaries of a dwarven establishment he would eventually lead a battle against. They attempted to eliminate him as well. Though one of the assassins, when questioned, spoke of Blitukus stealing a wagon from him, his destination remained uncertain. A recently uncovered arctic establishment, destroyed in an eruption, is theorized by some to actually be the home and refuge of Blitukus, but concrete proof had yet to be found.

Uncovered evidence as well as national records have shown that Blitukus was the true pioneer of flying machines, armored vehicles, and industrial technology, being also the inventor of the magma loop. Another large device was recovered, and although it seemed much of it was ruined by heat, some suspect it was a radio transmitter of sorts. In the end, nobody knows the fate of Blitukus Thimaiyilo... though the arctic refuge, likely his home, does pose puzzling hints toward it. Some say he died in the eruption, some say he died long before. Some say, according to the uncovered 'heat-engravings' and odd pattern in the stone and ice, complete with odd configurations of metal, a release of radiation did it. This is widely debated, and somewhat mocked by some, as the energy needed was calculated to be, even by modern standards, truly preposterous. His remains had never been found. Indeed, it seemed he had vanished from the face of this world.

Kazo looked through it again. It seemed he had met two of the most historically famous people in this post-demonic world. They were much more to him than figments of history though... they were his friends. He had always known he had never forget, and the age of his memory was but a number only. Kazo decided to see if he was mentioned by looking through the back of the book for mention of him. He eventually found mention of a blue metal statue, discussed several places. He turned to the first one of them. Within, he found the details of a warrior of the north from the 1340s who began his career as a guard, and worked his way up the ranks of the military until eventually becoming one of the most prominent generals, leading one of the bloodiest campaigns against the goblins ever fought. Kazo skimmed most of it, but took note of the mention that this warrior had actually reached the cave containing the 'blue statue' on one of his later campaigns. He reported it, and records persisted.

Kazo found the next entry near the end of the book, a dwarven fortress known as Bracedhopes established in 1460 as the most westward settlement of the time, far beyond the original boundary. This settlement separated itself from the desperate conflicts and hardship to the east, and began trying to build a refuge for those who also wished a better life. They were left alone, and on their own became so powerful and wealthy, isolated from foreign threat, they could afford sending out parties to scour the lands for techniques and methods from the days before the goblin wars. When these parties returned, many returned with nothing. One returned with a motherlode of information from the northeast, bundles of technology forgotten since the war started. The last followed the records of the previously mentioned warrior, finding the 'blue statue' and retrieving it. The statue, identified as a saurian of some kind, was put on display at the front foyer of the fortress, its jointed frame posed in a fierce position the dwarves regarded as only fitting. The fortress made use of its amassed power to produce large amounts of the devices detailed in the plans recovered, and when conditions finally had returned to normal circa 1495, trade allowed the machines and technology to spread, rapidly being adopted by all cultures who saw the potential of it. In 1500, the Golden Age ended, and the Age of Steam had begun.

Kazo smiled. It seemed he had become part of history in his sleep. He might be the only one in the world able to claim this. He spent a few moments reflecting on the past... He would never forget it, but nor should he dwell within it. Now, the future lay ahead, and he was intent on seeing its potential in action. He closed the book, stood slowly, Yeln hopping to the floor, then placed the book back.

Kazo spoke, "Thanks, friend! I think I should pay the military a visit." Nefarious replied, "Bye then. The train to Endlesslabors is s'pposed to leave soon. Come back in less than 4 pieces!" Kazo snickered, "Sounds easy enough! Goodbye!" They waved at eachother, then Kazo left, Yeln following behind. Kazo and Yeln went back to the arena, where Kazo retrieved his now fully washed and partially dried coat, putting it back on, although he had to retie some of it.

Kazo and Yeln then exited Steelflame, and turned to head toward the nearby train tracks. On the way, Kazo noticed a kobold, seemingly well armed, heading also toward the station. Who was this kobold? Kazo turned to walk toward the kobold, stepping lightly to reduce the sound of his footsteps. He might as well make a more fitting appearance. In fact, he might as well sneak behind whoever collected toll for the train. He found he hadn't been doing enough sneaking around lately. On its own, sneaking was quite fun, but in the situation he would face retrieving those documents, it was useful and fun at the same time. Kazo eagerly looked forward to this future, and waved his tail a bit as he walked, a smile on his face.
I hope all the historical tidbits wasn't a bad idea. At least the story should pick up some speed from here.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

Beyond Quality, first post, etc.
I am saying that so much it loses it's meaning...

"This is a kobold leather Beyond Quality award.
It menaces whit spikes of carp teeth."

And it wasn't *that* slow, it's just me comparing to the previous stories and nothing can match that.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

In the story before the newest, I see:
A moment later, Kazo climbed out, and sat in Kazos lap, "Mewww?"

I think it should probably be that Yeln climbed out,  :p.

Keep it up, these are all great!

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

Thanks you  :)

I was actually afraid that would happen eventually, Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

Afraid of what, making a minor error, or a grammar nazi entering your thread?
:D

Can't wait for the next part!

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

Afraid of making errors. I'm visibly paranoid of making errors most of the time.
Kazo approached the kobold from behind, keeping silent as he did so. Kazo noticed Yeln also doing the same. It seemed Yeln had decided to come after all. This concerned Kazo for a moment, but then he felt the true meaning of it. Yeln was going to stay with him no matter what. Kazo smiled at the thought, for now he felt the same way toward Yeln.

Kazo approached the kobold, leapt up, then landed in front of him, "Why hello!" The kobold stepped back, a bit startled but otherwise unaffected. Yeln slipped between the kobolds legs, "Mew!" The kobold replied, "Yep, hello! Going to Endlesslabors?" Kazo replied, "Not quite, but close enough." The 3 of them walked toward the train station, a steam locomotive with several cars behind it waiting patiently for its departure time.

Kazo spoke, "You might say I'm going to pay the base a visit." The kobold replied, "You work for 'em?" Kazo responded, "No, actually. I'll just be causing a bit of trouble there! It's part of a goal of mine." The kobold smiled and snickered, "What a coincidence!" This kobold was also interested in causing trouble at the base? Kazo noticed, though the kobold was well armed, his crossbow was actually probably civilian make, modified quite cleverly to increase its power to the scale of its military cousins.

Kazo asked, "So what's your name?" The kobold replied, "I got a lotta nicknames, 'specially bad ones from the military, but I call myself Tok." Kazo spoke, "... Hammerblazes? So you're who demolished a barrier?" Tok replied, "The news overblows all the wrong sh*t. Yeah, I blew it up but that's not the point. I gave the general a scare he won't forget! His bro was takin' a piss right next to the thing when I set that stuff off, knocked him flat on his a** but it didn't kill him. The point was to show the general he won't be safe 'till he hands over my bro!"

Kazo noted, it seemed to be a pattern among the kobolds he had only recently seen many of, they were very loyal to their own family. Kazo asked, "So what happened to your brother?" The kobold replied, "They tested him, they classified his score, then a day later, I saw some grunts take him away. I love my bro! They just came... AND TOOK HIM! I don't know what they're doing to him but I'm not stopping for anything until they release him! It was that bastard Milspec that did it too!"

They continued until they reached the train. Tok sighed, "Well, since you'll be there we might as well help eachother." Kazo smiled, "Sure thing!" Tok moved toward the ticket booth, and began purchasing a ticket. The clerk there seemed indifferent to Tok's weapons. Likely there were no restrictions whatsoever on what could be brought aboard the train.

Yeln stood by the entrance to the train, curiously watching it, tail waving back and forth, occasionally forming a question mark. Kazo snuck in the shadows by the booth, and as Tok and the clerk spoke to one another, Kazo slowly made his way behind the counter of the booth, climbing up and stepping down from the counter on the other side. When Tok had finished, Kazo approached the clerk from behind from a stack of crates.

Kazo spoke, "Why hello to you!" The clerk jumped around, "What? Oh..." Kazo snickered. Kazo noticed the price of the ticket, and set down his backpack, counting coins from it until he had enough to pay. Kazo spoke, "I'd like transit to Endlesslabors!" The clerk replied, "Yeah, alright, here you are." The clerk took the money, spent a few moments writing out information and verification on a ticket sheet, and handed it to Kazo. Kazo replied, "Thanks, goodbye!"

The clerk replied, "Have a nice trip, 'cause it ain't a nice place over there." Kazo snickered ,"That's what I hear but thanks anyway!" Kazo then hopped over the counter. Tok had already entered the train. Yeln walked up to his feet, "Mew!" Kazo smiled, and picked Yeln up, walking toward the train. Yeln crawled over into Kazos backpack as Kazo entered the train.

The seats weren't very luxurious, and there were several others also aboard, likely commuters. Kazo noticed Tok sitting by a window, looking out. Several minutes passed, and eventually, one of the crew called to make sure all were aboard, closing the doors a few moments after. A few moments after that, the train jerked forward with a loud hiss. The journey likely wouldn't be that long, but until it was over, Kazo thought of a few things he was curious about and could test people for as a way to pass the time. After that, he would have a chance to recover those documents, to benefit the future and also to free himself from the need for fuel, at least, for a while.
I know it's a little short, and things aren't really picking up yet, but I felt I should probably be more awake to write the next part.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

First POST!
No errors!

It is short, but it looks like the next one will have more to write about,  ;).
Great job!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

Beyond Quality.

I find that even if it's not much happening it's still not boring at all, at some points the construction and character development can be just as fun to read.
There doesn't need to always be fighting to be interesting.

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13