Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XIX - Game Over, World Rescued!  (Read 57197 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XIX - Game Over, World Rescued!
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2011, 11:30:39 pm »

... I used to be in 8 games at a time and winning all of them, you know >_>

It is possible.  I don't recommend it for beginners.
Eh, last time you were scum I found you pretty easily...

What, in BYOT?  I'm not saying I'm a good player.  It's been nearly a year since my last completed game, after all.  But I cannot deny the way I used to play.

I don't play as much anymore because I became too aware of my own foibles =/  In the end, there is no way to completely hide yourself... I try one tactic, and I know how I would catch myself.  I try another, and find the same thing.  When I first started, I could easily say "No, we both know I am not scum because that is poor reasoning," but nowadays I am far too aware of the signs to say any such thing.

*sigh*

Yes, I know I play Mafia terribly nowadays.  I am very sorry for it.

So, you're too self aware for mafia? You should try and use that to your advantage.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 30, 2011, 03:30:08 am »

It's a recent enough change that I'm reaping all of the negatives and none of the benefits, but we'll see how it goes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 30, 2011, 11:14:50 am »

What, in BYOT?  I'm not saying I'm a good player.  It's been nearly a year since my last completed game, after all.  But I cannot deny the way I used to play.
Actually, I was thinking about the most recent incompleted DOGM.

I don't play as much anymore because I became too aware of my own foibles =/  In the end, there is no way to completely hide yourself... I try one tactic, and I know how I would catch myself.  I try another, and find the same thing.  When I first started, I could easily say "No, we both know I am not scum because that is poor reasoning," but nowadays I am far too aware of the signs to say any such thing.
It's odd, because this overthinking is usually how you catch mafia members.  My tactic is to not overthink things as mafia (until you get to role related stuff, ya can't think about that too much...).

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2011, 11:34:57 am »

WWYDT doesn't appear to be starting, is anyone thinking of starting BM XX or another game?

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2011, 01:55:05 pm »

He said he was going to start on wednesday

And yeah, I'll be hosting BM XX
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »

Actually, I was thinking about the most recent incompleted DOGM.

Ahh, well.  My problem on that one was that I'd already intuited much of the game structure without having been given any additional information, and had no idea what to do after that.

You're right, I did certainly suck that game.

I never intend to overthink, I just kind of... do.  Stupid problematic personality traits  :-\
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2011, 02:55:32 pm »

I always overthink in mafia and almost never regret it. Well here I gave in to Azure's "you're town" tactic...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2011, 02:56:38 pm »

I always overthink in mafia and almost never regret it. Well here I gave in to Azure's "you're town" tactic...

Your problem is that you let your overthinking show in your posts, and then you look scummy as hell.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2011, 02:59:09 pm »

thank you for the advice.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2011, 03:40:45 pm »

Your problem is that you let your overthinking show in your posts, and then you look scummy as hell.

But shouldn't townies do that too?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2011, 03:42:29 pm »

... Let it show?

No one should let it show.  They should just go for it, without showing all the little unnecessary thoughts that make them look like they're waffling or somesuch.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 30, 2011, 03:51:38 pm »

Oh, and what is that in oyur avatar now? I was similar to perogies, now it's pancakes?!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #417 on: January 30, 2011, 05:02:30 pm »

Quote from: Dak's scumhunting bible
Doubt is something that's ok to have but UGLY to show.  If you doubt or have second thoughts, DON'T DISPLAY IT.  If you think "He looks passive but I don't know..."  you SAY "You scum!  Stop being passive!!!"  If you think "He may have a good reason to attack guy really." say "Give me your reasons and stop being vague."

Doubt is something for yourself.  When you have doubt, go back and see if your original ideas still hold up.  If they do or if you find yourself saying "I'm not sure" then go back to the attack until you are sure.  This ain't the USA: we play by Guilty until Proven Innocent here.  Unless you can get yourself to believe they may be honest, keep the attack.

So doubt is ok to have if used right.. but the town does NOT need to hear it.  If you doubt, accuse anyway as if you know.  If you wonder, accuse as if you know it.  If you know the answer, ASK ANYWAY and let THEM answer.  Make them convince you they are town: don't do the job for them.
I can see it now.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 30, 2011, 06:32:53 pm »

Oh, and what is that in oyur avatar now? I was similar to perogies, now it's pancakes?!

It's injera, a kind of fermented Ethiopian bread =)

Before, it was indeed perogies--but you'd call it "vareniki" (written "varenyky" in Poland), from the Ukrainian.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #419 on: January 30, 2011, 06:56:12 pm »

Hmm, I have an Ethiopian restaurant near my house, I ought to go try it out.

Anyone else have any questions/concerns related to this game or mafia in general?
I can see it now.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29