Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best location for a succession game?  (Read 645 times)

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best location for a succession game?
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:28:03 am »

Was thinking of starting one up with my friends and was wondering what type of embark location would make for the most hilarious outcome. Obviously a Terrifying biome is a must, but is there anything else specific I should try and get?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Best location for a succession game?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:52:16 am »

cold desert next to an ocean. No flux. Upright spoiler. Shrines/lairs on embark.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:40 am »

And surface magma so people get tempted to build horribly elaborate undocumented contraptions of chunky lava doom.
Current Fort: NatureRags

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:09:14 am »

evil biome with ocean and war with humans

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:32:52 am »

Depends on what kind of Fun you want to have and how much you want.

For more computer created Fun look for areas that deny easy access, or any access, to useful resources.  Like areas without trees, or have saltwater, an aquifer, etc.
For lots of Fun you might want a dessert biome on an ocean, with at least one aquifer that has terrifying surroundings.
You'll probably want to choose a civ that is at war with at least one race, preferably humans because they aren't just a bunch of tree huggin' wimps.

If you want more user created Fun, floods, lava "accidents" etc. you should choose a place with easy access to the more volatile things a player can use.  Have a volcano nearby, plenty of dangerous animals, and some water so that people can make their incredibly insane dwarfly traps and constructions before they really have the resources to do it safely with minimal losses.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:20:32 pm »

cold desert next to an ocean. No flux. Upright spoiler. Shrines/lairs on embark.
Final Destination.

But seriously, the more 'Fun' features the better. A succession game where everything is going horribly right will rapidly become boring. You need something that can shake things up every once in a while. A terrifying tundra on an aquifer will be suitably terrifying.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Endomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 12:21:19 pm »

people can make their incredibly insane dwarfly traps and constructions before they really have the resources to do it safely with minimal losses.

This is me. I have a lot of Fun.