Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ...and clay is the next step.  (Read 4308 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ...and clay is the next step.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 11:26:29 am »

There's also the issue of taxation.  If you have a large, successful fortress, will your civilisation demand taxes to maintain the national army?  And conscription of your cheesemakers......

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:41:45 am »

When the Caravan Arc is released, I'll have to stop playing until I can manage a hardware upgrade.  My little 3.2GHz Pentium-D with ~4GB of RAM can barely handle a 50-dwarf 20-year-old 3x3 embark fort at more than 20FPS.  At that rate it takes me a week of game-time to manage a dwarf year, which to me is unplayable.  I don't see the added calculations from the caravan changes improving that any.  Especially if I have to let animals graze, tend bees, squish nuts, make clay jars, deal with guilds, pay taxes, and survive in a world economy that's apparently based on blood.  All with fewer metals and gems and way fewer decent embark locations.

But once I can actually run DF with the Caravan Arc? 

Bankrupt the Elves!  !!Economic Warfare!!

(Or... I might just continue to flood the world with cheap stone mechanisms.)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 12:10:14 pm »

...and clay is the next step.
I really only skimmed this topic(sounds like a carpload of good features, though), but I think you can mod clay in, by making clay stuff leave "clay" stones(might make it unsuitable for agriculture though), then make custom reaction for mixing it with water, then forming it into objects at the kiln. I could be wrong, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:02:05 pm »

There's beekeeping confirmed as well, I believe.

Any bets on how many people will search for a way to make a dwarf fortress sized beehive for the dorfs to live in?

Well, I'm excited about the rock nut -> oil -> soap process.

Next megaproject: Build a fortress entirely out of nuts.
Nonsense. Build your fortress into a massive shrine to a god of nuts.
...Made out of nuts.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 02:31:12 pm »

There's beekeeping confirmed as well, I believe.

Any bets on how many people will search for a way to make a dwarf fortress sized beehive for the dorfs to live in?

That doesn't seem like it would be difficult. Just create a flat area, build a large circular complex, and layer on rings.

/--------\
  |           |
 /             \
 |             |
/               \
|               |  <--- Like so.

If you really want it to be beehive-like, you could also try to figure out how to give all the dorfs circular room.

My real question would be: will our dwarves be able to brew honey into mead?

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 02:40:13 pm »

Dwarves with mead hangovers? Ye gods. Instant tantrum spiral - just add mead!
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 04:31:50 pm »

Dwarves with mead hangovers? Ye gods. Instant tantrum spiral - just add mead!
Dwarves get hangovers?
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »

Pottery appeals to me.

I want to be able to make urns, jugs, ceramic tiles.

And it would all be engravable.

Although I want to be able to export barrels of forgotten beast extract, causing plagues in far off cities.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »

...and clay is the next step.
I really only skimmed this topic(sounds like a carpload of good features, though), but I think you can mod clay in, by making clay stuff leave "clay" stones(might make it unsuitable for agriculture though), then make custom reaction for mixing it with water, then forming it into objects at the kiln. I could be wrong, though.
Already done, minus the water part, since you can't do that.

Maybe I should expand that part of my mod a little...
くコ:彡

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 08:33:56 pm »

Well even if gems and metals are fewer, that just makes them more valuable! 

With pottery, it'll be nice to see that kiln get a bit more use, "pealash, wtf is that?  Trees are for beds!"

Hahaha, selling forgotten beast extract, that is hilariously cruel
"Oh what's this?" 
"I dunno but they said it was valuable!  ... tastes odd... hmm, it's made by lips bo numb..."

... I hadn't considered it, but now that you mention mead... if we don't get mead, I think I'll be stricken by melancholy...

Maybe we can get more plant products from all these new grasses and aspects of the extracting process? (I thought the farmers workshop was essentially a bench press). "he ikes to consume squishedevilwormgrassjuice when possible." :/

Oooh, make war with the elves to damage their cloth industry (as well as all the other reasons one makes war with elves), so cloth is in demand and you can sell your masterfully dyed giant cave spider silk goods at ridiculous prcies.  If people want clothes or bags, they have to pay up!

Edit:  Oh, someone already suggested bankrupting the elves.  I love how dwarves have this theme of controlling and directing everything: rivers, magma, mountains, and soon, trade too!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:37:43 pm by iEpinephrine »
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 08:56:25 pm »

When the Caravan Arc is released, I'll have to stop playing until I can manage a hardware upgrade.  My little 3.2GHz Pentium-D with ~4GB of RAM can barely handle a 50-dwarf 20-year-old 3x3 embark fort at more than 20FPS.  At that rate it takes me a week of game-time to manage a dwarf year, which to me is unplayable.  I don't see the added calculations from the caravan changes improving that any.  Especially if I have to let animals graze, tend bees, squish nuts, make clay jars, deal with guilds, pay taxes, and survive in a world economy that's apparently based on blood.  All with fewer metals and gems and way fewer decent embark locations.

Your computer can only run at 20fps with all of that? I have 1.6GHZ and 500 or so MB of ram and yet I can run a hundred dwarf fort at around 18 FPS. With most of them doing things, if I have a lot of idler's I can get up to like 30fps.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »

Your computer can only run at 20fps with all of that? I have 1.6GHZ and 500 or so MB of ram and yet I can run a hundred dwarf fort at around 18 FPS. With most of them doing things, if I have a lot of idler's I can get up to like 30fps.

It depends on what else he has running.  if he has a lot of background programs running, then it'll slow down F.  alot.  Spyware and adware are particularly adept at this, since you don't know its there.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 09:55:53 pm »

while oil is cool, I'd be more interested in getting soap fixed than getting more ways to make it.  Instituting animal feed would be a cool addition since animals don't need food now.  As for more food sources, I'd prefer some complexity added to cooking, as far as ingredient selection or nerfing the enormous bags of quarry bush leaves and syrup.  Currently, keeping hundreds of dwarves fat and happy requires only a trivial amount of effort or labor.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 09:57:52 pm »

i agree with animal feed. also new ways to put animals to work
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 10:25:15 pm »

From my understanding caring for animals and how farms etc work is a completely different development arc than trading.

I would absolutely love some diversity and challenges to my crops beyond getting water to them (droughts, blights, swarms.  Maybe goblin arsenists who burn unprotected crops!)

How would cooking be improved?
The caravan arc should nerf the quarry bush and syrup prices, because if you flood the market with them, they'll become worthless.  So that's good!  So now sliver barb dye is going to skyrocket since you'll be the only producer, but I would like other super rare spices to grow, ones that are a real challenge to get a decent yeild from.  But I think proper farming and animal husbandry will be updated quite a bit later, Toady's doing more than enough this time round!

Beyond the need for a bit of micromanagement soap actually works fine as is...I never even get cleaning self cancel orders anymore.  I want new stuff, bugs with workarounds aren't bugs to me, in this game, they're puzzle minigames! :)
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"
Pages: 1 [2] 3