Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ...and clay is the next step.  (Read 4318 times)

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
...and clay is the next step.
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:13:53 am »

The next step??? 
So it's going to be another one hundred million years of daydreaming about the supply and demand of stone mugs before the carvan arc is released??
I can't bring myself to play DF since they promised me a world economy.  My black diamonds don't glitter as bright, nor does my platinum artefact war hammer feel as reassuringly weighty in my hand so long as I know the price could be modelled more realistically!!

What amazing dwarven inginuity do people plan to apply to the stock markets?

Massively stockpiling gold to unleash on the market all at once, leaving you with a vast fortune, and some foolish merchants with countless Urists of worthless yellow crap?

Maybe the opposite, buying out every horse in the entire continent so every bite of your delicious horse meat roast is like biting into a treasure horde fit for a king!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ...and clay is the next step.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:17:14 am »

Just imagine how much anything made from Clowns will go for. And there will always be different types of clowns.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:26:39 am »

However, being demons, they will have a material value of 1. (All randomly generated creatures are like this)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:28:48 am »

You didn't actually think anything was getting...you know...done on the caravan arc did you? That's just not the Toady way. What will happen is we'll get a fresh batch of bugs, and the caravans will be worse because of some hopelessly convoluted attempt to bring all the products from just one village once a year, and that village ain't got sh*t. I'm pretty sure the only thing we can look forward to is eventually the caravan arc will be disabled because it didn't work, and we might get lucky and get the old v31.18 caravans back.

So enjoy what you got now, because there's a long slippery slope down, and a hard narrow path up, and the writing's on the wall.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:30:54 am by AngleWyrm »

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:32:08 am »

However, being demons, they will have a material value of 1. (All randomly generated creatures are like this)

Though bordering on a suggestion, see Bug #593 for this.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:36:03 am »

Hopefully the caravan arc means that trade agreements will be generated based on supply/demand, and not random.

I'd refuse to sell steel to anyone but the Dwarven caravan, to maintain Dwarven arms superiority. I'd also try to see if I could ruin the human or elf economies by buying lots of food and booze, raising the price, while flooding them with cheap gold and silver.

If caravans move from place to place after the arc is implemented, perhaps we could blockade or embargo someone by building a fort on the only trade route to a country.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:55:48 am »

You didn't actually think anything was getting...you know...done on the caravan arc did you? That's just not the Toady way. What will happen is we'll get a fresh batch of bugs, and the caravans will be worse because of some hopelessly convoluted attempt to bring all the products from just one village once a year, and that village ain't got sh*t. I'm pretty sure the only thing we can look forward to is eventually the caravan arc will be disabled because it didn't work, and we might get lucky and get the old v31.18 caravans back.

So enjoy what you got now, because there's a long slippery slope down, and a hard narrow path up, and the writing's on the wall.
Hahahaha!!
mood = MoodType.Amused;

Hopefully the caravan arc means that trade agreements will be generated based on supply/demand, and not random.

I'd refuse to sell steel to anyone but the Dwarven caravan, to maintain Dwarven arms superiority. I'd also try to see if I could ruin the human or elf economies by buying lots of food and booze, raising the price, while flooding them with cheap gold and silver.

If caravans move from place to place after the arc is implemented, perhaps we could blockade or embargo someone by building a fort on the only trade route to a country.

Ohhh that is fantastic!  Cut off all access to the starving humans beyond the mountains and milk them for everything they're worth...
hmm not much really I guess... maybe some elephant leather?  But it'll be fun anyway!

Also, covetting our precious steel, how very dwarven!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:20:18 am »

Well, I'm excited about the rock nut -> oil -> soap process.

Next megaproject: Build a fortress entirely out of nuts.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 02:25:28 am »

Wow. Not even I'm that pessimistic.

Seriously, I understand where your concerns are coming from and share quite a few of them, but I don't think the sky's exactly falling, either.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 03:04:53 am »

So what exactly are we getting in the next release anyway?  A crapload of new animals, and 18 different kinds of grasses for them to graze on.  New materials, including wool, feathers, eggs, clay, oil and now apparently nut paste that you can squeeze in a brand-new screw press.  Having wide and varied products and industries means that different regions will be able to specialize in a particular good.  It'll be easier to model supply/demand chains, so I suspect that there'll be quite a few more materials added before Toady's done with this arc.  I'd love to see vineyards and apiaries before he's through. 

Personally, I have my fingers crossed that maybe this arc will see the creation of paper and ink. If you want your bookkeeper to keep an accurate tally, you'll have to bring along a ledger.  XD

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 06:18:44 am »

There's beekeeping confirmed as well, I believe.
くコ:彡

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:11:08 am »

The caravan arc might be a while a way and we might have to go through a number of versions before we get them...but we'll get them eventually ;) That's what matters. The thing I really can't wait for is the huge bug fix patch afterwards. I hope then toady can fix some of the anoying bugs that have been plauging us forever...
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

sicksock

• Bay Watcher
  • Incompetent Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19:11 am »

The military dwarf comes running over red faced
"SIR The elves are sieging our gates!"

Overseer: "Release... the bees"
"I've been a bad, bad little Dwarf and I must simply be beaten. Oh don't use a weapon, use your bare hands and make me feel it"

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 09:37:58 am »

The military dwarf comes running over red faced
"SIR The elves are sieging our gates!"

Overseer: "Release... the bees"

I laughed so hard the neighbours heard me.

OT I'd like pester the elves in various ways by blocking their trade routes, killing and destroying their wagons etc. It would be great if killing traders actually got real consequences other than small, amusing sieges.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 10:24:06 am »

Dwarf raised bees with little beards, they menace with spikes of chitin
Pages: [1] 2 3