Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to make a clean Butcher Shop? And other questions!  (Read 13042 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a clean Butcher Shop? And other questions!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »

Can you be more specific about what happened here?  Specifically, I'm interested to the answers to these questions:
Did you manage to move all of the items to your Trade Depot?
Did your broker have sufficient appraisal skill to understand that mugs are individually very inexpensive?
Did you try to trade the mugs to the elves in wooden bins?
How did you conclude that they "didn't want a single mug"?

This is what happened: a caravan arrived. Humans. I had bins and bins full of mugs, and not even a novice broker to tell an adamantium coin from a chunk of mudstone. I just sent the closest dwarf around. When I went into the list of items to haul to the trade depot, the mugs weren't listed. I should have been more clear about that: my bins and bins of mugs weren't on the "take to depot" list in the first place. The crafts I had churned out showed up on the list just before the caravan hauled out, but the mugs were conspicuously absent.

The wiki guide on trading is rather cryptic to me. I think I need to get a broker? Lernin2trade is currently second only to the dynamics of Scheduling and Alerts which is utterly baffling but, apparently, new and therefore still being figured out by pretty much everyone.

The crashing issue I had has also been fixed thus-far by running the PC version of the game with WINE which I should have just done in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:22:18 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:59:37 am »

The mugs were probably in a "Finished Goods Bin" and you wouldn't see them in the list until you were in the trade screen. Then you'd see:

*Finished Goods Bin (Alder)* 25
 - Stone mug         34
 - +Stone mug+         68

etc...

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 07:15:14 am »

The mugs were probably in a "Finished Goods Bin" and you wouldn't see them in the list until you were in the trade screen.

It's possible! I assume Finished Goods Bins in the menu can collapse/expand when selected?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:27 am »

no, but you can (v)iew them

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 04:56:37 pm »

Yes!  We have found your solution.  When you're in the trade screen and you know you've got bins and bins of mugs, you can type "s" (for search) and then FINIS... and about the time you get FINI, the only things on screen will be Finished Goods Bins.  There might be >>AN AWESOME STATUE OF MELBIL FINISRAKOL<< but basically you'll have bins.  Move the bins to the Depot and then trade the goods that are inside the bins.

Don't trade away the bins -- you made them from wood and you need 'em! (Exception: you can trade away bins as long as you make sure to get a greater than one-to-one stack of wood from the caravan, and make sure to trade masterwork bins so you get your money's worth on the exchange).

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 04:58:48 pm »

Alternately, if you type "s" followed by 'mug', it should turn up all mugs.  I believe that this will even find mugs located in finished good bins.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 05:08:36 pm »

Just confirming that you will. At least, everytime I've sold roasts to elves, that's what I've done.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »

Thanks guys. I'll start trying to herp-a-derp my way through trading with this new fort, and hopefully get a functioning butcher shop running as well with the tips from above.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or not for further questions, like if noise travels between Z-levels or how to make efficient use of Dwarf Therapist.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 06:02:35 pm »

Noise does travel vertically, so get your digging around the sleeping quarters done early.

Therapist is easy, at least under 100 dwarves.  Just learn the sort pulldown, and that you can click the tops of columns to sort.
Combine it with use of the (u)nits screen to find out who the hell they are if someone special.  else you might assign your no work doctor a lot cause he looks like a bum in DTherapist.

Wish I had a widescreen so I could see all the columns at once.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »

If you plan to rely heavily on hunting, you may wish to choose to start learning with a location in a good, tropical forest, which yields unicorn and elephant products.
Those sound like intimidating quarry, but sure. I've been trying to embark in plant-heavy areas due to my n00bish need for emergency supplies so next time I'll head further towards the equator.
Actually, in DF, the more extreme cliimates are towards the poles, but yeah. :)

Unicorns and elephants (indeed, a great deal of wildlife) can kill dwarves, but won't generally be hostile or even attack unless actually cornered. Meanwhile, an elephant can provide hundreds of meals worth of meat products with a single butchering. (Of course, a dabbling butcher will be pretty hungry and thirsty when he finally finishes, as well...) Further, elephants can be caught, tamed, and trained as WAR ELEPHANTS, which is something everyone has to do at least once.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 09:19:44 pm »

Just pulled off my first successful trade: I just had to look in my bins so that's resolved. Somewhere a feasthall is celebrating with over a hundred new marble mugs and I have armor and leather with which to make more armor. Pity they didn't have any weapons because I'm going to have to make pig iron out of marble given my current resources. Some migrant with a thing for making armor is just sitting in an empty forge going mad with inspiration and will probably be the death of this fort when she cracks due to the fact I cannot smelt anything until next caravan.

Now to try butchering some Elk once my surface-level keep/barracks is 100% sealed and I have the labor to spare and see if I can put the advice I've been given to good use.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 03:24:31 am »

Mugs are weird and there is no top level heading for them on the trade screen.  An obvious workaround is don't make them in the first year or so if you don't have your trader/bookkeeper combo set up early.  I don't remember what lets you sort goods by value but it's either bookkeeper or appraiser or both (and you want both soonish).  Sorting by value tends to show finished goods bins first, and has the added benefit of showing high-value food, giving you a chance to easily include that if you want.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 10:46:19 pm »

Follow up: butcher shop is running clean and pristine thanks to the help of everyone. No miasma to be seen.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye
Pages: 1 [2]