Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Will dwarf fortress ever have...  (Read 4286 times)

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will dwarf fortress ever have...
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:09:56 pm »

Multiplayer..

Is it me or would playing a fortress type mode with other people sound so fun , Each player would need to fill a role and do tasks like normal dwarfs, Host would control a dwarf and other fortress things like a leader, Players 2 could be a miner so on .

Hell even adventure mode mutiplayer would be so fun more so if you can hurt each other

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
Re: Will dwarf fortress ever have...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:12:35 pm »

Prehaps, but not for a VERY, VERY, long time. Not until Dwarf Fortress has finished beta stage at LEAST.

And I think it would work in a fasion more like has 2 forts being built at the same time on the same world.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:13:58 pm »

I can totally see fortresses sieging eachother. It would be glorious!

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:00 pm »

Yea it would be even better if one or both players could play another race , like goblin, kobold stuff like that

i can just see my friend bitching me out over vent about breaking his stuff in his new fort.

MonkeyMeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:41 pm »

But what if one person were to pause? fortress mode would not work in realtime, maybe turnbased with action and pauses.

If adventurer would refresh the screen when any player moved, I could see it working on a meh scale.
I don't think we can expect much on terms of DF multiplayer past things like what we already have, community forts, dfterm, etc.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:44:54 pm »

But what if one person were to pause? fortress mode would not work in realtime, maybe turnbased with action and pauses.

If adventurer would refresh the screen when any player moved, I could see it working on a meh scale.
I don't think we can expect much on terms of DF multiplayer past things like what we already have, community forts, dfterm, etc.

Adventure mode would turn into some MMO game with servers to different worlds.  :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:49:04 pm »

The idea of multiplayer in fortress mode depends on how the caravan and army arcs work. Playing simulatenously on one fort would not work, but playing in multiple different forts at the same time might. Build up an army and send it to attack another player fortress(or set up a caravan to trade, but I'm sure many players would like their super-magma-doomsday trap of doom to be tested against a highly pimped out army)
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:59:42 pm »

Personally, i'd like to see multicore support first.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:54:51 am »

Playing simultaneously will work, it has to be some small changes though. For example, if interactions between fortresses only happen in the beginning of each month, then the players can wait for everyone to finish their month before allowing people to go to the next one, you can pause as much as you want as long as you donīt hold up the game. Works better if itīs a year at a time, and if people are ready to wait an hour for between years.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 01:51:26 am »

Give me the military. I shall protect my armor and weapon making buddy!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 03:02:34 pm »

Playing simultaneously will work, it has to be some small changes though. For example, if interactions between fortresses only happen in the beginning of each month, then the players can wait for everyone to finish their month before allowing people to go to the next one, you can pause as much as you want as long as you donīt hold up the game. Works better if itīs a year at a time, and if people are ready to wait an hour for between years.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Mine was that it would just become unpausable. Although if players could siege each other it would be monthly unpausable (You wouldn't really have to pause) seiges and probably force other players to watch the siege. "Player 1 has sieged Player 2! Watch the battle!"
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

hbar_squared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 05:13:02 pm »

Multiplayer..

Is it me or would playing a fortress type mode with other people sound so fun , Each player would need to fill a role and do tasks like normal dwarfs, Host would control a dwarf and other fortress things like a leader, Players 2 could be a miner so on .

Hell even adventure mode mutiplayer would be so fun more so if you can hurt each other

No.

There's so much broken in single player right now, and so much yet to be done.  There's a two man dev team working on donations.  And the entire structure of the game is designed around the single player experience.

It would be neat, but I can't imagine any kind of implementation that wouldn't be systematically broken.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »

Perhaps. After the God of all bug fixes. And multi-threading.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 06:05:05 pm »

I heard the army arc, And I ask a question (Not knowing the planned features)

In the army arc does toady plan to allow the dwarfs to attack goblins?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 06:05:50 pm »

Why are people still making topics about this?

Sure, it'd be neat to have multiplayer in Dwarf Fortress. It'd be also neat if magical space unicorns floated down to earth and cured all diseases.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard
Pages: [1] 2 3