Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Save help  (Read 876 times)

Endomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save help
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:58:53 pm »

Hello,

I'm not sure my game is saving correctly because every time I save a game, the only things that I can load when I go to Continue Playing is the seasonal autosaves, or the very first save made (when you first arrive after embark). Is the game supposed to overwrite the first save after embark?

Why is the game not saving my progress right up until the point I press save game?

I should be able to load a Spring 252 game, but the only thing available is the winter 251 auto save, and the seasonals before that. My manual save does not even appear.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:00:26 pm by Endomatic »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Save help
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:03:58 pm »

Have you loaded one of the seasonal saves before? When DF saves, it saves directly to the folder it loaded from, so if you reloaded from a seasonal save instead of the base save, it should have saved your game there.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Endomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:06:54 pm »

So the base save is the one that is overwritten, but never renamed?

This would make sense given what I've experienced, but is quite confusing.

Secondary question: Is it even possible to smelt raw glass right now? Or is it just crystal glass? I had pearlash and rock crystal but the Urist McSmelter always cancelled because he couldn't find the rock crystal for some reason. He'd start walking to it, then he'd just stop and fail.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:09:12 pm »

There's only one save at any given time. You have to copy the folder and back it up somewhere for multiple saves.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Endomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:14:52 pm »

Here's my load layout:

Fortress - Year 251 (No season)
Fortress - Year 251 Spr
Fortress - Year 251 Sum
Fortress - Year 251 Aut
Fortress - Year 251 Wnt
Fortress - Year 252 Wnt-Spr

When I load the Wnt-Spr save, it's the seasonal save made at the turn of spring during year 252. The manual save I made later isn't shown. That is why I was reluctant to load the top save, because there was no year attached, and it is the base save from embarking.

I can load any of these, but none of them are the one I want to load.

Endomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:37 pm »

Can anyone tell me which one I supposed to be loading?

This problem is making the game unplayable for me.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:14:28 pm »

When you save the game, it will save to whatever save you opened.  This means if you open a seasonal save, then save out, it will save to that seasonal backup.  You just need to figure out which one of those saves is the one you last played and open that one.  Unfortunately, none of us can tell you which one that was.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Endomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:34:44 pm »

But if I start a new game and simply save the game, it will kick me to the main menu automatically, it's not asking me to select a save slot.

That's the problem, I don't know the name of the file it's saving to, so I don't know what to load.

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 01:03:31 am »

Viewing the save folder in your operating system and ordering folders by date should tell you which one was the last one you updated which should be the one you want.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 02:11:08 am »

Not sure which one is the right one now, but:
So to use them like normal, just keep loading the same file without any season at the end each time.

If something goes wrong(crash(other than crash at save), don't want to do all your work again), you delete/rename the normal no append named one and copy/rename the last save by date/season.

It's not intended to have saves work like other games.  It's meant to have one single save, the seasonal backups are aids for the eventual crash due to being in development.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 02:18:11 am »

But if I start a new game and simply save the game, it will kick me to the main menu automatically, it's not asking me to select a save slot.

This is a different scenario than the one previously mentioned. In this case, the folder will be named "regionX" where X is the largest number in your save folder of regions.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 02:35:24 am »

Um, save slot? There's no screen for that. You can only have one save at any given time without copying the folder. If you hit save, it should sit for a bit, and then go to the main menu. That means it's been saved. seasonal backups aren't easily available to run. Normal saves are what the game runs from when you hit 'continue game'.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:32 am »

seasonal backups aren't easily available to run. Normal saves are what the game runs from when you hit 'continue game'.
That's not correct. When you hit "continue game" you are presented with a screen of all games currently in progress, which includes all seasonal saves. You can pick any one of them to start playing, but just be aware that is also where the game will save back to when you're done playing.

It's not a good system, because the seasonal saves are "dated", but once you play them the date is no longer accurate. The confusion in this thread only proves the point.

PS Do you have a link to that dancing dwarf? He's hideous, and I'de like to add him to my youtube favorites.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:05:14 am by AngleWyrm »

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 03:53:02 am »

Ah, okay, I was unaware of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6F15Vc1JWI

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 06:06:13 am »

Isn't the ingame date of save shown to the right of save? You could load the save which has most of ingame progress. Though I ended up disabling backup.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: [1] 2