Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Story of Stubbs  (Read 3259 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
The Story of Stubbs
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:48:03 pm »

I've been playing around with "Fortress Defense" mod, which basically makes it so that you get bum-rushed about a year into embarking by siege after siege of everything from goblins to hellfire imps to tigers riding polar bears.

So I recently started a new fort, Silverstone, sitting on a hilltop, overlooking a small brook, with heaps of flux stone.  My objective: Survive.  I quickly got an underground farm system going, started training axedwarves, and began the steel industry.  Among the first of these axedwarves was a young recruit, barely sixty years old, who had arrived in the first migration wave.  His real name has been forgotten - in its place, he is known only as Stubbs.

Stubbs was the first Centurion of Silverstone.  He was the most skilled of the eight recruits, and the first to don a full set of Steel armor.  Stubbs spearheaded the defense against a siege of Stranglers in the tail end of the first year, slaying five by his own hand.  As the months went on, the attacks on Silverstone became more fierce, from goblin ambushes to a full siege force of tigermen.  Stubbs held the line.  As his comrades fought and died, Stubbs stood, at the dusk of every evening, atop piles of the fallen, clutching his +steel battle axe+ and lowering his head in tribute to the fallen.

Finally, in the second year, the tigermen attempted a flank maneuver.  A contingent of tigermen troops, lead by an axe lord, marched on Silverstone from the east.  As they drew near, a company of war polar bears descended from the north.  Stubbs stood before the unfinished fortifications as his companions fled underground.  The flimsy jet hatch covers that protected his entire civiliation would not hold against the invaders.  Stubbs and his five remaining soldiers were the only ones holding the line.  Protected only by the cover fire of a few militia crossbowmen, Stubbs and the Mechanical Permanences met the assault head on.  Axes and spears clashed as warriors on both side fell in an instant.  Stubbs waded through the carnage to the tigerman axe lord, mounted on a war polar bear.  In the single combat that ensued, Stubbs was pinned by the enormous creature, which ripped both of his arms from their sockets.  A doomed dwarf, the centurion did not fall.  Not only did he retain consciousness, he kept fighting.  His axe arm hopelessly mangled and tossed aside, Stubbs KICKED the axe lord and BIT him to the ground, where a fellow legionnaire stabbed the dumbfounded leader through the head with a steel spear.  The remaining forces fled to the edge of the map, leaving their fallen.  Stubbs had saved Silverstone.  Because of this stand, the fortifications were completed, and the dwarves have never since found themselves facing such overwhelming odds, but the centurion, who lived for carnage, had suffered a fate worse than death.  Doomed to live, he could not feed himself or wield his precious weapon.  Stubbs was carried home a victorious hero, but he always considered it a defeat.

Naturally, the dwarves were moved by watching this entire saga unfold before their eyes.  Rather than condemn Stubbs to a lifetime of helplessness in a hospital bed, they were determined to find another way.  They allowed Stubbs to remain on active duty, hoping that perhaps he would be able to return to the battlefield as a brilliant wrestler.  However, Stubbs still faced hardships.  He could still fight - sort of - but he could not pick up or store his own armor, and he was unable to fetch his own provisions for patrol duty.  It was then that Armok intervened.

As Stubbs lay in his bed one night, haunted by the dreams of those who had fallen at his side, the Blood God crept into the chamber, and as he walked, candles flickered and died in his wake.  When at last, the avatar reached the side of the bed, he gazed upon Stubbs, his champion.  Stubbs had prayed for days to the Blood God, begging for him to end his life as he could no longer serve his master's wishes.  Armok listened.  He spoke to Stubbs in his dreams, giving him a spark of divine inspiration.  Armok showed him a machine - a maniacal, beautiful machine, its gears greased with the blood of the vanquished.  And from this machine came, on a spiked conveyor belt, his axe.  He would recognize the blade anywhere, but the handle was different.  Instead of the grip, there was a complex system of buckles and fasteners.  Then, Armok withdrew into the shadows, without a sign of his visit left behind in the dark, and as soon as he had come, the Blood God was gone.

Stubbs awoke the next day and talked to his friend, an engineer who had helped to design Silverstone's running water system.  He told the friend of his dream, and described the contraption that he had seen.  The engineer was skeptical, but went to work anyway.  As Armok guided his hand, skepticism turned to belief as the contraption came together like clockwork - a mechanical arm, brilliant in it beautiful complexity that far surpassed the technology of the dwarves.  With the movements of a harmonica-like device in his mouth, Stubbs could swing it to and fro, and his axe was fused to his new metal hand, never to be separated from him again.  No one in Silverstone understood how it worked, but they dared not try to decipher its secrets, as it was the will of Armok to give this to his chosen champion, so that rivers of the blood of the enemy might flow from the hilltop of Silverstone for generations to come.

Behold, "Stubbs" Monangerith Gebgim, who shall be forever known as the armless axe lord.

http://img593.imageshack.us/i/stubbs.png/

TL;DR

I had an axe dwarf.  He lost both arms in combat.  Now he fights with his axe in his mouth.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Stubbs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:01:22 pm »

Thank you, this really made my day.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »

WIN

sicksock

• Bay Watcher
  • Incompetent Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:10:45 pm »

Very nice
"I've been a bad, bad little Dwarf and I must simply be beaten. Oh don't use a weapon, use your bare hands and make me feel it"

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:17:27 am »

so much win
(op post)

where can i get this mod?
LOSING IS FUN!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:30:00 am »

Did he do that on his own or did you add a grip tag to the mouth?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 01:28:21 am »

@ lastofthelight

I added a [GRASP] tag to the mouth.  It (very rarely) can give you funny combat results, like "Urist McWrestler punches Goblin McLulz with his mouth", but it makes it so that dwarves who are missing both arms don't just sit there and spam job cancellation messages until you decide to smite them. 

I could have just arranged an unfortunate accident, but this guy had such a story going and had done so much that I wanted him to keep living.  Now that I've made the little modification, I don't think I'll go back.

@ noob

I'm not sure if someone has a downloadable file for something as minor as this, but if you're interested, I could walk you through making the modification yourself.  It's literally just adding a small block of text in one of the raw files (body_default.txt).

Find where it says
Code: [Select]
[BODY:MOUTH]
[BP:MOUTH:mouth:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][MOUTH][SMALL][EMBEDDED][APERTURE][CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:20]

and add [GRASP] so that it reads

Code: [Select]
[BODY:MOUTH]
[BP:MOUTH:mouth:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][GRASP][MOUTH][SMALL][EMBEDDED][APERTURE][CATEGORY:MOUTH]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:20]

If you want it to work for an already established region, you'll have to make the same modification in the raws of the save folder (same file, same change).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:35:16 am by narhiril »

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 02:14:48 am »

i meant the fort def mod. but never mind i found it in the mods section.
LOSING IS FUN!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 03:56:48 am »

Brilliant!

Can you give us a mod that can make crippled dwarves walk again? I've had far more legless than armless dwarves so far...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 09:16:44 am »

TL;DR

I had an axe dwarf.  He lost both arms in combat.  Now he fights with his axe in his mouth.

sigged :)

EDIT: If I find out how...

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »

i meant the fort def mod. but never mind i found it in the mods section.

Fort def is awesome.  You haven't lived until you've seen a hellfire imp invasion reduce the entire countryside to ash.  Just remember to build defenses FAST, because they start hitting you early and they don't stop - and embarking on top of a heap of flux is never a bad idea.

Also, apparently some of the new races are hostile to each other.  I actually had a goblin invasion fought off by a simultaneous frogman invasion today while my company of crossbowmen rained death from the battlements.  It's pure chaos.

As for the leg mod...  I could look around and see if I can come up with a feasible solution, but we may just have to wait for the crutch bugfix.

I've heard that changing the tissue file so that nerves have a healing rate can make it so that dwarves with motor nerve damage in the legs will eventually heal, but I haven't had much success in actually getting this to work in game.  Also, this doesn't really help you if your dwarf is actually missing a leg.

And yay, my first time sigged :)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 06:54:31 am »

As for the leg mod...  I could look around and see if I can come up with a feasible solution, but we may just have to wait for the crutch bugfix.

I've heard that changing the tissue file so that nerves have a healing rate can make it so that dwarves with motor nerve damage in the legs will eventually heal, but I haven't had much success in actually getting this to work in game.  Also, this doesn't really help you if your dwarf is actually missing a leg.

And yay, my first time sigged :)

There's actually a way to get legs working again, though it requires some raw editing. In 40d, you could remove a body part like eyes or legs from all members of a race by deleting it from their creature entry, and then save the file and start the game to have all of the edited creatures missing that body part. You could then save and quit, and then re-add the body part in the raws, then start the game anew. All creatures will now have that body part again, and any creatures for whom that body part was injured will have it healed.

Incidentally, glad to hear that you're enjoying Fortress Defense : )
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 12:17:38 pm »

Brilliant!

Can you give us a mod that can make crippled dwarves walk again? I've had far more legless than armless dwarves so far...

You could... add more legs...
...If you're okay with having a species of spider-dorfs...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 03:31:37 am »

That is so damn awesome I don't even know where to begin...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 08:17:03 am »

A very nice tale!

I wonder, can you assign him a shield to his mouth?
And if yes, what bodyparts would that shield protect with it's [UPSTEP:2]?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2