Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there a way to make a dwarf do one thing and one thing only  (Read 1641 times)

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to make a dwarf do one thing and one thing only
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 12:15:53 pm »

If this is his first fey mood, there's no way he's got magma access yet.
???
I always get magma before I craft anything (except some basic furniture and beds)... ... and before the first mood. And before the first caravan.

but I'm betting you also don't require forum posts to inform you about Dwarf Therapist =P
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 01:35:55 pm »

Best way of hunting for magma: dig long staircase shafts down. It makes a minimal impact on future building plans, and the earlier you do it the less likely it is that there's an FB down there. There's still the risk of discovering the caverns at ground level and next to something nasty, but it's a small one.

Do dwarves even demand magma furnaces before the 'magma discovery' message?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 09:15:06 pm »

If this is his first fey mood, there's no way he's got magma access yet.
???
I always get magma before I craft anything (except some basic furniture and beds)... ... and before the first mood. And before the first caravan.

Sometimes I never find magma O.o I don't think I've played a fort where I've gotten magma before the fifth year.

If it's masons building the wall, or whatever else, just turn off all unrelated hauling labours and {q}{P} over his respective workshop(s) and disable him from them. Or use burrows if it's a small wall.

Completely unrelated, but I have a goblin ambush party across the river who can't get past my locked hatchcovers. 10 migrants just arrived next to them. Ayup.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 06:13:01 am »

but I'm betting you also don't require forum posts to inform you about Dwarf Therapist =P
I only used DT recently, quite some forts (and magma accesses) into my experience. But I get your point. Perhaps he has a volcanoe? ;)
Pages: 1 [2]