Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia - Round 3 - Game over!  (Read 57947 times)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia - Round 3 - Day 2 dawns peacefully
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2011, 02:51:01 am »

By the time the day rolled around I had completely forgotten what it was that I voted you for except that I had. So I had to refresh myself with the arguments I made.
Right, so you voted me without even remembering why. Not scummy at all.

Anyways, you are scum because of the crap you tried to pin JTF for yesterday. Everything I brought up in this post. Your responses told me that you were being unnecessarily unforgiving of JTF just to see him lynched.
As a reminder, that post complains about me calling him scum, pointing out a deflection and an intimidation attempt. I responded to all three, Janus admitted the deflection ("a bit self-serving"), and I won't push the intimidation aspect, but I do think his reply to Jack ("You're jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon without giving your reasoning. That *is* scummy around here.") is a scummy reply; intimidation or not, it is manipulative, attempting to get rid of one voter for dubious and self-serving reasons.

It is scummy not just because it's defensive, but because it was based on a lie (reasons were provided). Your answer to that? "Accusations of lying are usually overblown." Really? So, lying isn't scummy? Wasn't it a lie? Shouldn't we consider lies as part of one's scumhunting process?

Not content with that, you proceed to entirely dismiss Janus's self-defensiveness as irrelevant. Isn't being overly concerned with survival a scumtell? Not just "I don't want to be lynched for stupid crap," but also "if you lynch me you'll regret it," "your vote on me is scummy," and "hey! look over there! there's lurkers!"

You also said earlier:
Quote from: Jim
This is being unforgivably hard on JTF for no good reason except to get JTF lynched when he shouldn't be.
How many scumtells must he have before I'm no longer being unforgivably hard on him? And he shouldn't be lynched if he's town, sure, do you know him to be town? If not, and if he's scummy, why shouldn't he hang?

Why are you so determined to see him survive? What do you know that we don't?

Stuff like this:
a) Janus doesn't look scummy in general.  He seems to be doing stuff.[...]
Interesting how you put it. I'd agree with a), but a good scum would do that too to seem town;[...]
Particularly your a). If you're willing to see good town play as scummy cover then you are either tunneling like a Chunnel drill team or you're scum trying to lynch JTF for anything you can grasp at.
I don't see good town play as scummy. I see it as a null tell in an experienced, active player. A good scum plays like a good town. Sure, some scum just lurk, or play differently, but specifically Janus plays scum like this: a good active town day game, pretending to scumhunt (incidentally, so do you), so it's a null-tell; neither absolves him nor condemns him; his potential scumminess depends on other factors, like those I point above.

Contrast his play with that of Bastard Paranormal, where he was lead in votes two hours before day end, and never indulged in "I don't want to be lynched" or uttered a "if you lynch me you'll regret it", and he was a town heroic guardian! No, this amount of self-defence from him is a definite scumtell, I say. Or check out his scum play at VM3; he never had a need to be defensive, but he certainly played an active town-like day game, with plenty of scumhunting and not avoiding the spotlight at all. Your (Jim's) recent experience in KM was likewise: a good active scum plays a good town day game. That's what you did when scum, yes? and it was a scummy cover, yes?

And quit saying I'm tunneling. Tunneling requires me to attack one player ignoring all others, and I'm not; I'm also looking at you (and the other blue painted ones from my earlier post). It's just a persistent attack trying to get to the bottom of things; he'll either prove to my satisfaction that he's a townie, or I'll do my best to see him hang for his scumminess. That goes for you too. This ain't tunneling, and even if it were, it doesn't diminish the validity of my arguments. Attack them on their own, don't dismiss them by labeling the person that presented them.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2011, 03:00:14 am »

I do have reasonable explainations for lack of action during two of the last three days, but I won't bother with them, partly because of the day where I don't have a good reason for my inactivity. And, just as a warning, I'm likely to be going home early today. Going to download the pages for D1 so I can reread it at home.

Sorry about the triple post.

I've gotten to the start of page 5, and I have a small chunk written, and though it's not enough to post, it is a start and it's better than the nothing I had before.
Small chunk written that we have yet to see...
Small chunk discarded due to being an irrelevant blow-by-blow of the first few posts of the Janus-Puppet argument...

Archangel:
I'll play this game to the best of my ability, because I can play well, and I want to prove it.
Is this the best of your ability? It's ten days later and you have five posts, with exactly zero content. You are coming dangerously close to policy-lynch levels of uselessness.
No, this is me failing to focus on this game enough to play my best.
Archangel needs to get his ass in here and actually do something. Or get modkilled. I'd be okay with either, but I would prefer him doing something useful.
When did I get a donkey and why do you want me to bring it into this game?
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2011, 03:11:39 am »

Thank you, mod.

My quick thoughts on those being voted:

Dariush is being somewhat of an idiot as usual, but that's not far from the norm for him. However, the way he's playing this game doesn't quite match up with how he's played as scum in previous games. However, that doesn't mean he's town, either.

JTF could be scum that skillfully got us to mislynch D1 almost scathe-free. But that's mostly just WIFOM.

Org is Org, but should not be disregarded.

Toaster is notoriously difficult to read.

Zathras is also a little difficult to read as he hasn't posted much D2, but he's being more helpful than I am.

Archangel needs to get his ass in here and actually do something. Or get modkilled. I'd be okay with either, but I would prefer him doing something useful.

I love how you FoS a guy with an argument you call WIFOM. I'll give you credit for being truthful, but you're not taking any stances at all. Grow a pair, ask Dariush some questions to determine alignment. What you're doing is sitting passively and doing nothing. Any reason you're not posing any questions and instead spamming out meaningless declarations that provide no insight whatsoever?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:24 am »

When did I get a donkey and why do you want me to bring it into this game?

Oh, so you come when called. This is good to know.

Who do you suspect?

By the time the day rolled around I had completely forgotten what it was that I voted you for except that I had. So I had to refresh myself with the arguments I made.
Right, so you voted me without even remembering why. Not scummy at all.

Nope. Glad you think so!

I reviewed before I voted, of course. Not in any extreme detail, though.

As a reminder, that post complains about me calling him scum, pointing out a deflection and an intimidation attempt. I responded to all three, Janus admitted the deflection ("a bit self-serving"), and I won't push the intimidation aspect, but I do think his reply to Jack ("You're jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon without giving your reasoning. That *is* scummy around here.") is a scummy reply; intimidation or not, it is manipulative, attempting to get rid of one voter for dubious and self-serving reasons.

It is scummy not just because it's defensive, but because it was based on a lie (reasons were provided). Your answer to that? "Accusations of lying are usually overblown." Really? So, lying isn't scummy? Wasn't it a lie? Shouldn't we consider lies as part of one's scumhunting process?

I say accusations of lying are usually overblown because nearly all apparent discrepancies in people's posts can be attributed to error instead of intentional malicious deception. Calling it a lie is hyperbolic.

You jumped immediately to the worst case scenario as your first resort. Right out of the gate, you called JTF a liar for saying Jack A T had no reasons for voting him. Pointing out the discrepancy is more than enough, so what were you trying to do calling him a liar? There isn't any point to doing that unless you're just trying to make him look atrociously awful, which is actually somewhat disingenuous on your part and cuts straight to the issues I have with you, namely that I think you're trying to see him lynched over trying to find out if he's scum or not.

Not content with that, you proceed to entirely dismiss Janus's self-defensiveness as irrelevant. Isn't being overly concerned with survival a scumtell? Not just "I don't want to be lynched for stupid crap," but also "if you lynch me you'll regret it," "your vote on me is scummy," and "hey! look over there! there's lurkers!"

Nice adverb usage. I wouldn't say JTF is (or was) overly concerned with his own survival, not if he's trying to make a case on somebody else.

We've already been down this road before.

You also said earlier:
Quote from: Jim
This is being unforgivably hard on JTF for no good reason except to get JTF lynched when he shouldn't be.
How many scumtells must he have before I'm no longer being unforgivably hard on him? And he shouldn't be lynched if he's town, sure, do you know him to be town? If not, and if he's scummy, why shouldn't he hang?

Why are you so determined to see him survive? What do you know that we don't?

It's more for what you're being unforgivably hard on, instead of how many.

Everything I brought up in that post I took issue with. Everything else I don't. If you hadn't brought up any of the stuff I complained about, I would have let you on your merry way. But you did so now I have to bug you about it and figure out why you brought them up.

It's not about JTF's survival, it's about your arguments. This is the issue here.

Contrast his play with that of Bastard Paranormal, where he was lead in votes two hours before day end, and never indulged in "I don't want to be lynched" or uttered a "if you lynch me you'll regret it", and he was a town heroic guardian! No, this amount of self-defence from him is a definite scumtell, I say. Or check out his scum play at VM3; he never had a need to be defensive, but he certainly played an active town-like day game, with plenty of scumhunting and not avoiding the spotlight at all. Your (Jim's) recent experience in KM was likewise: a good active scum plays a good town day game. That's what you did when scum, yes? and it was a scummy cover, yes?

Look at this post, right at the end. Completely disproves your point. Town JTF acts in his own self-interest pretty frequently. This isn't uncommon for JTF or, really, any other player to do.

So, I've found a counterexample and caught you in a discrepancy. Does this mean that you're a liar? Should I advocate lynching you because I have discovered you in error, and the only logical explanation is that you are lying your pants off?

That would be ridiculous of me, but I'm getting off point. JTF acting in his own interests, even as town, is within my expectations for his meta. Why are you trying to lynch him for that?

And about the good town play as scum: I tend to think good town play is a slight town tell, not null tell. If there's enough of it it counts. Ignoring it and calling it a null tell, no matter how true it is for some players, I tend to think is a bad idea.

And quit saying I'm tunneling. Tunneling requires me to attack one player ignoring all others, and I'm not; I'm also looking at you (and the other blue painted ones from my earlier post). It's just a persistent attack trying to get to the bottom of things; he'll either prove to my satisfaction that he's a townie, or I'll do my best to see him hang for his scumminess. That goes for you too. This ain't tunneling, and even if it were, it doesn't diminish the validity of my arguments. Attack them on their own, don't dismiss them by labeling the person that presented them.

Tunneling to me is a singleminded focus to see a player lynched. If you're engaging in hyperbole by calling him a liar and misreading his meta (not necessarily deliberately, I'll grant you), you start to look like you're tunneling.

Also, I did want to know what you were doing throwing myself back at me, aside from just trying to piss me off.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2011, 05:42:08 am »

I say accusations of lying are usually overblown because nearly all apparent discrepancies in people's posts can be attributed to error instead of intentional malicious deception. Calling it a lie is hyperbolic.

You jumped immediately to the worst case scenario as your first resort. Right out of the gate, you called JTF a liar for saying Jack A T had no reasons for voting him. Pointing out the discrepancy is more than enough, so what were you trying to do calling him a liar?
The difference is one of intent. Had he accidentally missed it (or if it were likely he did), it'd be one thing, but he had replied to the very paragraph before, and I had quoted it less than half a page earlier in the post that he himself quoted. There is zero chance he accidentally missed it. Furthermore, he constructed his sentence with the clear intent of manipulating the person voting him into changing his mind; stating an untruth because you didn't look up a reference is not the same as doing it with the intention to manipulate someone else's vote. That's an intentional lie. I stand by my assessment.

I will agree that not all untruths or errors are lies. However, that one of Janus was.

Look at this post, right at the end. Completely disproves your point. Town JTF acts in his own self-interest pretty frequently. This isn't uncommon for JTF or, really, any other player to do.

It does no such thing. OK, you're right that I didn't see it, but compare the statements:

Town Janus
"My my aren't you going to look like a rose when I flip."
"Maybe it's self interest but I hope it'll do some good: Vote for Extension"

Current Janus
"Riddle me this, all of you voting me: Are you confident enough that I'm scum that you'd risk killing one of the most active players on Day 1?"
"You're jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon without giving your reasoning. That *is* scummy around here."

...not even in the same ball park. Please don't tell me you don't see the difference. Also telling is that the above plus the deflection happened in separate posts within a 30 minute period; jumpy much? Funny how some consider jumpiness suspicious.

JTF acting in his own interests, even as town, is within my expectations for his meta. Why are you trying to lynch him for that?
Because he isn't acting like a townie in danger. Sure, one may protest, point out better alternatives, maybe even roleclaim (rarely on D1, though), but ultimately a townie doesn't mind dying, especially D1; they know the hunt is the important part, that things will be learned from the flip, and that they'll win with the town even if dead. Not even MBP bitched half as much on his way to the gallows. Neither did Janus when town.

It's not merely that he's being defensive. It's that he's being overly defensive that's the problem (or rather, one of the problems), using scummy tactics for it: He protested too much, deflected (admitted), lied to cover his ass, and "you'll regret it". Too much to be just a coincidence. But you don't want to see that. That's OK.

For the other problems, add his "just us townies" slip earlier, to this phoney resignation which rings scummy in my ears: "Bah humbug not thinking before I made the comment about knowing more than my own alignment [...]Probably signed my own death warrant." Speaking of which, Janus, what did you mean earlier about "PMs not being allowed in Supernatural" being part of your death warrant? Who would you have PM'd what, and how would that have helped?

Also, I did want to know what you were doing throwing myself back at me, aside from just trying to piss me off.
Just pissing you off. It's fun.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2011, 11:16:09 am »

The things I pointed out are scumtells. If you fail to realize they are, it's not my fault.

Not what I was asking about, dimwit. I wanted to know why you said this:

Why do I feel that I will be next in your list, Jim?

So I'll ask again until it penetrates the concrete, lead-lined thickness of your skull. What does whatever I'm doing with Zathras and Jack A T have to do with you, and why you think I'll be going after you next?
I'm tired of trying to explain anything to you, so:
I looked at your interactions with Zathras and Jack and deemed them scummy;
I voted for you after you OMGUSed someone else. Thus, it's logical to assume that I'll be next.
Since it's pretty clear that you've got a grudge against me, I want to know whether you're just scrapping for reasons to vote me to exact some form of feeble payback against me.
You're paranoidal.
It's far from random.  I'm expecting an explanation as to what the fuck you were doing yesterday.  Don't think you can dodge my last post of day one just because you didn't respond before the lynch.
I was evaluating the sides of JTF vs MBP argument. Happy now?
Points for trying to get another mislynch out of a clear town v town fight.
I wouldn't call it 'clear'. Far from it, actually.
Should I be something else? Contrasting Bastard Paranormal, I honestly thought MBP was scum up until he flipped.  I happen to agree with Leafsnail that this looks like trying to turn one town-lynch into two.
I expected some conclusions about the mislynch, or pretty much anything more than 'I don't think he's scum' (and yes, I know that was sarcastic).
What's that bit about 'not about scum in bandwagon'?
[theory]We find scum that voted for MBP, you say 'told you so', you gain town points.[/theory] Not likely, but still possible.

Now, rereading everything so I can actually do something apart from answering questions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2011, 11:20:07 am »

Leafsnail: do you consider self-preservation a scumtell? If someone said "I don't want to be lynched D1" and went entirely into an over-the-top defense, would you consider them scummy?
It depends.

I think self preservation is more of a scumtell when you're not being attacked.  So if you're trying to avoid attention and do everything to try and paint yourself town when you're not being attacked... yes, that's scummy.

When you're actually being attacked, it's not as clearcut.  You can say "town doesn't mind being lynched", but it really, really sucks to be mislynched day one, especially if you think scum is leading the attack.  Case in point: MBP seemed pretty intent of "self-preservation", but he was town, and I read him town since he drew so much attention to himself early in the day.  Although serious panic (as opposed to anger) can be a scumtell.

What do you think of Native, Jack and Toaster?
Lurker, confused, classic hard to read.

In terms of alignment, I don't know about NativeForeigner.  He hasn't posted much content at all, and I don't have enough meta to know what that means for him.  Question I'd like NativeForeigner to answer:  If Dariush or JTF are looking like scum, why not vote them instead of the perpetual lurker?

I'm leaning town on Jack AT.  In spite of having trouble stringing coherent arguments together, he seemed to hold his own pretty well yesterday without much panic or flailing.  Seems more like someone with tunnelvision and a different idea of how to play than scum.

I'm currently leaning scum very slightly on Toaster.  He's very good at at being unreadable, but his encouragement of the tunnelvision on JTF and MBP yesterday seemed like a calculated way to get lynches rather than a genuine attempt to find scum.

So, with the responses out of the way:
Zathras: Do you really think that Jim and Janus are a scumteam?  Quite frankly, I don't see them doing anything remotely on this scale.  Scum normally tries to, y'know, avoid attention and distance themselves from each other.  It would have to be a huge WIFOM or RiA, and if you think it is, you need to make the case for that.

Toaster: Let's imagine that Dariush didn't exist going into yesterday's lynch.  Would you have supported a chain lynch of MBP and Janus?  Did you think that one of them had to be scum, and, if so, has that reasoning continued into today?

Jack A T: Why aren't you voting anyone?

Dariush: Uh, can you provide anything other than "no u" and question dodging in your defence?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2011, 01:07:54 pm »

Zathras:  (re MBP/Janus threatening town)  I see your point on MBP being less experienced, but don't you think letting him get away with it now will only result in him doing it again in the future?

Janus:
This is, in essence, the reason I voted Janus yesterday; they did the same things, but in MBP it was the emotional reaction of an unskilled player, while in Janus it seemed to be a skilled player building a vacuous case out of false or flimsy arguments, emotional baiting, and falling into a massive self-defensive stance when attacked; some of his choices of words or arguments subtly betrayed his scummy intentions. But with a skilled player, subtleties are all you are likely going to get. They shouldn't be dismissed.
Vacuous case: He was overreacting and not scumhunting. Not vacuous.
Emotional baiting: That's called scumhunting. Pushing someone to see how they react.
Self-defense: I don't want to get lynched for stupid crap. Meh.

I'm sorry, what?  Saying "if you lynch me you'll regret it" is valid scum hunting?  News to me.  So tell me, what scum did you find with it?

Jim:  Even if it's in his "town meta," do you think it's fine for Janus to play the "If you lynch me you'll regret it" card?  Why?

Dariush:
The things I pointed out are scumtells. If you fail to realize they are, it's not my fault.

Not what I was asking about, dimwit. I wanted to know why you said this:

Why do I feel that I will be next in your list, Jim?

So I'll ask again until it penetrates the concrete, lead-lined thickness of your skull. What does whatever I'm doing with Zathras and Jack A T have to do with you, and why you think I'll be going after you next?
I voted for you after you OMGUSed someone else. Thus, it's logical to assume that I'll be next.

You're voting him because he might OMGUS you?  That sounds like some sort of convoluted reverse OMGUS.  In any case, it's just fuel to the fire.

Leafsnail:  Do you mean a double lynch on them?  No.  I would have voted Janus earlier in the day.  I didn't think that one *had* to be scum.  As I said earlier, my opinion of Janus is essentially unchanged by the flip, but he's made some scummy comments (quoted earlier) that stuck out to me- he's defensive and self-serving.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2011, 01:12:40 pm »

No. Emotional baiting refers to pushing MBP to get a reaction.  The "if you lynch me you'll regret it" is part of the self-defense category.

More later.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2011, 01:13:08 pm »

Zathras: Do you really think that Jim and Janus are a scumteam?  Quite frankly, I don't see them doing anything remotely on this scale.  Scum normally tries to, y'know, avoid attention and distance themselves from each other.  It would have to be a huge WIFOM or RiA, and if you think it is, you need to make the case for that.

I'm unsure. Neither Jim nor Janus are the attention-avoiding type, even when scum, but I tend to think Jim's defence of Janus would be much less blatant if they were actual buddies.

I do think, based on the arguments, that at least Janus is scum, though, and it is suspicious of Jim to defend + chainsaw-defend him, but a buddy defence would probably be more subdued. Since down this chain of thought only wine lies, I'll limit myself to deal with the actual evidence of scummitude I have for now.

PPE: Toaster: I'm not my brother's keeper. MBP will or will not learn on his own; my only job is to find the scum.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2011, 01:55:47 pm »

Thank you, mod.

My quick thoughts on those being voted:

Dariush is being somewhat of an idiot as usual, but that's not far from the norm for him. However, the way he's playing this game doesn't quite match up with how he's played as scum in previous games. However, that doesn't mean he's town, either.

JTF could be scum that skillfully got us to mislynch D1 almost scathe-free. But that's mostly just WIFOM.

Org is Org, but should not be disregarded.

Toaster is notoriously difficult to read.

Zathras is also a little difficult to read as he hasn't posted much D2, but he's being more helpful than I am.

I love how you FoS a guy with an argument you call WIFOM. I'll give you credit for being truthful, but you're not taking any stances at all. Grow a pair, ask Dariush some questions to determine alignment. What you're doing is sitting passively and doing nothing. Any reason you're not posing any questions and instead spamming out meaningless declarations that provide no insight whatsoever?

Did I mention that those were just going to be quick thoughts? Oh yeah, I did right at the top. Sure, I'd like to be doing something and giving a somewhat more in-depth opinion on everybody, but I haven't had the time. The reason I haven't asked questions is because I'm taking a little longer than usual to go through everything and come up with something.

I will, however, have more time for this after classes today. Then I'll (hopefully) do more and respond to Zathras' post and anything else warranting my attention.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2011, 05:05:06 pm »

Uhm... Meph: did the extension go through? Or is the day over in three hours?

There are a number of people who haven't even cast a vote. Get your ass in here and weigh in, or extend.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2011, 05:13:17 pm »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Archangel: NativeForeigner
Dariush: Leafsnail, Ottofar, Toaster
JanusTwoface: Zathras
Org: JanusTwoface
Toaster: Dariush
Zathras: Jim Groovester

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Today. There have been 3 votes to Extend. 4 Total votes required to extend the day by 24 hours.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2011, 06:21:01 pm »

Jack A T: Why aren't you voting anyone?

I was waiting for more information, more evidence, more opinions, and such.  I was expecting a slightly more...interesting, informative, and long second day, though.

However, with the day about to end so son, I'm going to vote.

Janus, Zathras, Org, Dariush

The Janus/Zathras bit is getting iffy, though.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2011, 06:35:17 pm »

You jumped immediately to the worst case scenario as your first resort. Right out of the gate, you called JTF a liar for saying Jack A T had no reasons for voting him. Pointing out the discrepancy is more than enough, so what were you trying to do calling him a liar?
The difference is one of intent. Had he accidentally missed it (or if it were likely he did), it'd be one thing, but he had replied to the very paragraph before, and I had quoted it less than half a page earlier in the post that he himself quoted. There is zero chance he accidentally missed it. Furthermore, he constructed his sentence with the clear intent of manipulating the person voting him into changing his mind; stating an untruth because you didn't look up a reference is not the same as doing it with the intention to manipulate someone else's vote. That's an intentional lie. I stand by my assessment.

I will agree that not all untruths or errors are lies. However, that one of Janus was.

You're still being hyperbolic. Jack A T didn't remind everybody what his reasons for when he voted JTF. When he switched, all he said about JTF was that he was in the lead. How was JTF to know what the specific reasons were for Jack A T's vote?

Calling it a lie is still portraying things as negatively as possible. Misunderstanding or error more likely, but hardly a lie.

It does no such thing. OK, you're right that I didn't see it, but compare the statements:

I can find more comparable statements from JTF showing that him being self-interested is well within his town meta. Like this one, or this one, or this one, or this one. I can go on.

This is entirely normal for JTF. He frequently bemoans being in the lead for votes and even engages in WIFOM for his own self defense. So, you're either cherry picking your meta for your case or you just completely misread it. Which is it, Zathras?

JTF acting in his own interests, even as town, is within my expectations for his meta. Why are you trying to lynch him for that?
Because he isn't acting like a townie in danger. Sure, one may protest, point out better alternatives, maybe even roleclaim (rarely on D1, though), but ultimately a townie doesn't mind dying, especially D1; they know the hunt is the important part, that things will be learned from the flip, and that they'll win with the town even if dead. Not even MBP bitched half as much on his way to the gallows. Neither did Janus when town.

I disagree with this vehemently. If you're a good player, the last thing you want to be is lynched on Day 1 for stupid crap. It's not worth dying for the hunt if you think the town will be significantly impaired by your loss.

Oh, that's what you were getting at?

But it wasn't even an OMGUS. If you were paying attention to the exchange between Zathras and me there were no votes between us until I cast them, so why would I OMGUS you when I didn't OMGUS Zathras?

You're paranoidal.

Funny coming from you.

When you find cause to vote me in every single game I'm in with you I start to wonder.

Jim:  Even if it's in his "town meta," do you think it's fine for Janus to play the "If you lynch me you'll regret it" card?  Why?

If that was the only thing he was doing then I would agree that he should be lynched, but it wasn't. It's WIFOM anyway, and I mostly just ignore it.

However, with the day about to end so son, I'm going to vote.

I really don't like this.

For how long were you planning on voting JTF? It's better to put these things down early so that people can get a read on you. Last minute decisions are usually frowned upon.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24