Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dawn of War II (Retribution Beta Is Here!)  (Read 4175 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawn of War II (Retribution Beta Is Here!)
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:17:49 pm »

I've had Dawn of War II for a long time but, after having quite a few bad / annoying experiences with both the gameplay and Games for Windows Live, I gave up on it.

Started playing it again today and it's actually pretty fun in a way that's completely different to Dawn of War. It's small squad based combat instead of the massive gangbangs that you had in DoW and it's on far smaller maps. The gameplay is much faster paced and tighter because of that, but it's no big thing.

The game itself is gorgeous, they did great graphical work, even if it does seem to be pretty poorly optimised. I enjoy it, anyway, even if most of it does get smashed up by explosives by the end of the game.

The most fun I'm having however is in Last Stand mode which is kinda like those old "7 Samurai" maps from Warcraft 3. It's just damn fun. I just need people to play it with.

Retribution is coming out soon, and I've heard it's removing the Games for Windows Live requirement, which will be absolutely beautiful if it's true. If not, I can deal with it.

Anyone else got Dawn of War 2 and want to have a game of Last Stand / co-op campaign?

EDIT: The Retribution beta is soon on it's way to everyone who owns any DoW2 game.

Spoiler: The Article (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:32:19 am by Farseer »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of War II
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:16:13 pm »

i have it and have just started playing.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 01:14:03 am »

i have it and have just started playing.

Have you tried Last Stand, yet? It's pretty damn fun. Can't wait until I get Chaos Rising, because the Tyranid and Chaos heroes just seem epic from watching others play them.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:21:08 am »

i played my first round today and it was indeed a blast. I died a lot as an Ork Boss, but I can see the addiction. Let's hope you win the Snow Day giveaway so you can get chaos rising.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 01:43:55 am »

Retribution will indeed be switching from GFWL to Steamworks.

I've played DoW2 on and off for a while. I keep on meaning to get into the multiplayer scene, but that's a little bit more daunting than the campaigns and The Last Stand, and the Imperial Guard is by far my favorite part of the WH40k canon, so I figure I'm waiting for Retribution for that. I'd be willing to play a few games of The Last Stand or some friendly standard multiplayer if people are up for it.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:47:07 am »

i played my first round today and it was indeed a blast. I died a lot as an Ork Boss, but I can see the addiction. Let's hope you win the Snow Day giveaway so you can get chaos rising.

Ordered it from play.com already. :p It was the only place that had it for £10, even if I do have to wait 5 days for it.

Retribution will indeed be switching from GFWL to Steamworks.

I've played DoW2 on and off for a while. I keep on meaning to get into the multiplayer scene, but that's a little bit more daunting than the campaigns and The Last Stand, and the Imperial Guard is by far my favorite part of the WH40k canon, so I figure I'm waiting for Retribution for that. I'd be willing to play a few games of The Last Stand or some friendly standard multiplayer if people are up for it.

Does it apply retroactively, too? ie. to both Chaos Rising and the original game? If that's the case, HELL YES.

I wish the matchmaking process for both multiplayer and the Last Stand modes was a bit better. At the moment, you get paired with people of pretty much any ability level in multiplayer and you get paired with people from halfway across the world in The Last Stand who inevitably get kicked (purely automatically) due to lag. Also, it keeps using my machine as the server host, which is pissing me off. :p

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:08 am »

Does anybody know what's the cheapest place to get the non-crippled version in the netherlands? Amazon.de is listing the bad one a €30 ad doesn't have a price for the full game and as far as I know, not a single local retailer is carrying it.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:53:04 am »

Crippled version?

And, if these guys deliver to the Netherlands, they'll probably be the cheapest.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:09:56 am »

Does it apply retroactively, too? ie. to both Chaos Rising and the original game? If that's the case, HELL YES.

I wish the matchmaking process for both multiplayer and the Last Stand modes was a bit better. At the moment, you get paired with people of pretty much any ability level in multiplayer and you get paired with people from halfway across the world in The Last Stand who inevitably get kicked (purely automatically) due to lag. Also, it keeps using my machine as the server host, which is pissing me off. :p

Retribution's going to be pretty much a standalone game--you get all the factions and all the campaigns whether or not you have Chaos Rising and the original.

Matchmaking is a bit of a pain, to be sure. I know that some of the multiplayer matchmaking problems stem from the fact that for the first five games, your Trueskill ranking is hidden and starts at 25, and some of the rest from the fact that there aren't all that many people playing, but most of it comes from the fact that GfWL is a really, really bad framework. <.<

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 10:12:41 am »

I own it. Was there for beta, release, yadda yadda.

To be honest, it's not my cup of tea. Despite everything it does right...I wasn't looking for a DotA-esqe 40k experience. The RTS/RTT, despite how many times it's been explained to me, is not what the game was billed as.

I manage to have fun but, the campaign was a pretty big let down for me, and that kind of killed my motivation to stay with the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 10:17:59 am »

Yeah, it's a fun game, but it just ain't Dawn of War. It simply doesn't have the epic battles I would expect from the 40K series.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 10:20:06 am »

I'd like to try a multiplayer campaign with someone, seems quite fun.

Anybody made it to the final round in Last Stand? I got there once with a great team, but, naturally, we all died instantly.

And a tip for anyone new to Last Stand; whatever you do, don't get stuck in with eldar melee infantry. You won't last a minute. I've seen too many players go down doing something like that. And after wave 9, teamwork is the key. So, better hope you get good teammates.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 10:35:16 am »

I made it to the final wave twice and almost won it once. I've dragged some of my friends into playing with me, and once they get serious about winning, I think we've got a pretty good shot. You need three things to get to the end:

1. Lots of ranged AoE damage. The Chaos Sorcerer with Let The Galaxy Burn is the best option for this I've seen so far.
2. Lots of ranged single-target damage. The Hive Tyrant with the Venom Cannon wargear wins this. You can make him a near-invincible tank with the Genestealer Nest and Bio-Feedback, too.
3. A farseer with confuse, mass confuse, group teleport, and conceal. Without confuse and conceal you'll never make it past the mirror match at wave 16, because the Hive Tyrant and the Chaos Sorcerer will rip you apart.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:05 am »

I've been playing the Last Stand, but I seem to always get stuck with people (like a mekboy with a teleport pak that teleported ALL the way over to the side of the map WITHOUT the tower) that don't understand that towers are meant to be capped. Whilst I'm running around like a mad(wo, I suppose)man on my Farseer, chopping up bitches and confusing the hell out of half the enemy troops that I come across.

We were on Wave 9 and I'd dealt with about five hovertanks, two warpspider squads and three banshee squads when I see this MASSIVE wave (about five squads) of banshees coming in on me and start getting shot at by a pair of hovertanks. I try to run away and confuse the tanks only for me to realise that my two other team mates (who had been sitting with each other on the other side of the map) had manage to get beat by a group that would've been pathetic if it wasn't for the fact I was low on energy. Then again, I was with a space marine who was using a bolter and no jump pack and a level 12 chaos sorceror using that stupid sword instead of the warp staff, so I shouldn't really be surprised.

My GfWL ID is Dawnherald. Add me. >:

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 01:35:14 pm »

(like a mekboy with a teleport pak that teleported ALL the way over to the side of the map WITHOUT the tower)

There's nothing wrong with this. The towers are shit, mobility is what you need. In later waves it's best just to hide behind a rock at the edge of the map and use AoE abilities, though, as it's nigh-impossible to avoid the hordes.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: [1] 2 3