Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: In which Janet is frustrated by SQL servers.  (Read 2000 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
In which Janet is frustrated by SQL servers.
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:49:36 pm »

Alright. See. I have a problem. I have a program I wish to use that needs apparently, a very specific SQL server installation. MSDE to be exact, and thankfully it comes with it. There's a problem though. MSDE wont install. And at that, I don't know if I could get this program recognising the diffrent SQL services the other programs have since it tosses out a "Cant open "MSSQLSERVER" service" error. Meaning, it's looking for a server that uses THAT service name.

I really don't know if I can fix this but hey. What's the harm in asking? The program is Silent Storms editor by the way, sorta important to mention but... Not really since I doubt many people could test this along with me.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In which Janet is frustrated by SQL servers.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:02:31 pm »

Same thing, searched all the forums for info and found a fix that works for me.   

First off, you must have File and Print Sharing Services enabled.    To check if this is the case, go to Network Connections, right click on   any connection you have installed and click on the Networking tab.  It   should be listed below. 

If it's not there, click on Install, Services, etc. 

In my case it *WAS* there and still didn't work properly.  I simply   selected File and Print Sharing, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and the   next time I tried installing sql it worked - my editor runs now. 

Note:  I'm running XP, I think this might be different for earlier OS's                                          
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »

That's checked. So I know it's not that. And at that It's windows 7. Which is what causes the issues with MSDE in the first place.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »

Windows 7 has reworked the File sharing crap which made it more efficient but only works for the new stuff, considering Silent Storm is a old game i would be expected to see this, i have no idea on how to help you (SQL is the biggest bitch for me since Java)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 06:24:00 pm »

Windows 7 has reworked the File sharing crap which made it more efficient but only works for the new stuff, considering Silent Storm is a old game i would be expected to see this, i have no idea on how to help you (SQL is the biggest bitch for me since Java)

Maybe she could try emulating something older through VirtualBox?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 12:53:52 am »

I'm pretty sure she'd also have to emulate the editor in that too, if it works at all. I could give it a try, and see if the S2 editor can work like that.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 05:57:39 am »

Have you tried installing in compatibility mode?

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:28:08 pm »

Or in XP mode.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:17:26 pm »

XP mode? Excuse me for being a damn grandmother when it comes to a lot of PC and windows things lately but that's not a thinly veiled "Install XP" comment is it? Because these days I have no idea.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 03:45:14 pm »

for windows 7 Professional and up, it comes with XP mode which is basically virtual XP for windows 7. its not compatibility mode as its supposed to be the whole OS. granted it still sucks compare to VirtualBox or others.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »

Ack!
Lost a long post there by pressing backspace at the wrong time...

Anyhow, as a .NET developer, I've used MSSQL (perhaps not as much as I should have done) before.
I know for a fact that while that perticular version will not run on Windows 7 as much as you try...
There may be a rather strange workaround at hand.

Now, unless anyone can explain otherwise, I believe manually installing MSSQL 2008 Express should do the trick.
It might not, but it looks like it should, it's SQL afterall.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 07:11:49 pm »

Can I get a step by step on how to manually instal it?
Downloaded the setup file, and ran it, but the app won't run, so I want to sort of know if there is a step I'm missing or anything.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 07:17:01 pm »

Can I get a step by step on how to manually instal it?
Downloaded the setup file, and ran it, but the app won't run, so I want to sort of know if there is a step I'm missing or anything.
What exactly are you trying to install here?
The fact it's not running sounds like it's not a complete file.

More info plox!
(What're you installing, what's the file size on your computer? ... And maybe, what's the file size from your source?)
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 07:21:43 pm »

I installed the works, the 700MB plus file, downloaded from the website listed, and ran the setup file once. Does this installation need me to jump through anymore hoops than simply doubleclicking the installer file is what I'm trying to figure out, because this seems confusing.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 07:37:19 pm »

I installed the works, the 700MB plus file, downloaded from the website listed, and ran the setup file once. Does this installation need me to jump through anymore hoops than simply doubleclicking the installer file is what I'm trying to figure out, because this seems confusing.
Actually sounds like it's installed.
It's a server, it's not going to do anything visible, other than make your program work.
Open up your services and see if it's running. (Run -> Services, I think.)
If it's listed as running, then you should be set to go. It may need manual starting though.. And you may have to restart after installing. Other than that, if it's there, it'll run silently.
Pages: [1] 2